CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   OBX Sidepipes with Big Block, 4 Speed and Borgeson Steering Box? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4283775-obx-sidepipes-with-big-block-4-speed-and-borgeson-steering-box.html)

Jacobm99 06-10-2019 10:50 AM

OBX Sidepipes with Big Block, 4 Speed and Borgeson Steering Box?

Does anyone have this set up in their C3? If so, it would be great to hear what modifications you had to make to the headers.

Also, I’m in CA and had reached out to a couple sellers on eBay who told me they wouldn’t ship to CA due to emissions laws. Has anyone been successful in getting the obx sidepipes shipped to CA?

gg521 06-10-2019 11:03 AM

How are these any better than the other suppliers of sidepipes and headers? Just Curious.

Jacobm99 06-11-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by gg521 (Post 1599556051)
How are these any better than the other suppliers of sidepipes and headers? Just Curious.

I’m not sure other than they’re stainless instead of ceramic coated and also reasonably priced. I think these are likely the two main reasons for their popularity. The primaries are a little smaller (1 7/8”) than most, but that may help me with fitment vis a vis the steering box.

Yellogixxer 06-11-2019 11:46 AM

So I just recently purchased and installed these OBX headers/side pipes on my '73 454. I had some fitment issues with the left side. There's just no way they were going to clear the steering box as delivered. I asked OBX to send me a different left header assy, as there must be something wrong with the one I received. They said they never had any fitment issues reported before, so they're not likely defective (maybe they don't get the concept of a "defect"), but if I wanted to send them back for a refund, I could. I didn't want to do that, so I got a torch and hammered the #3 tube considerably more than it originally came. Eventually, I did get it to fit. Is my car straight? I have no reason to believe it isn't, but it is 46 years old...who knows, right? In any event, they didn't fir from the factory, but they were able to be coaxed into fitting just fine...and I am happy with them.

Jacobm99 06-11-2019 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Yellogixxer (Post 1599563061)
So I just recently purchased and installed these OBX headers/side pipes on my '73 454. I had some fitment issues with the left side. There's just no way they were going to clear the steering box as delivered. I asked OBX to send me a different left header assy, as there must be something wrong with the one I received. They said they never had any fitment issues reported before, so they're not likely defective (maybe they don't get the concept of a "defect"), but if I wanted to send them back for a refund, I could. I didn't want to do that, so I got a torch and hammered the #3 tube considerably more than it originally came. Eventually, I did get it to fit. Is my car straight? I have no reason to believe it isn't, but it is 46 years old...who knows, right? In any event, they didn't fir from the factory, but they were able to be coaxed into fitting just fine...and I am happy with them.

Thanks. Did you have the larger borgeson steering box? Also, is your car a 4 speed or automatic? Would love to see pics of the modified headers if you have any.

Jacobm99 06-13-2019 08:18 PM

Bump. Anyone with a big block, 4 speed and borgeson steering box successfully install OBX sidepipes?

txfatboy1 06-13-2019 11:26 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b73e9f489f.jpg
'71 convertible, Borgenson box, TH400 auto trans, 454 with Procomp aluminum heads WITH 1/2 inch higher exhaust ports.... the 1/2 inch being critical for me. I bought the Maximizer brand... which I believe to be the same as the OBX.... I had more issues with the tubes where they exited from under the car. Because the headers were effectively moved up 1/2 inch, I had frame clearance issues on the drivers side and lower body clearance issues on both sides. It took a lot of trimming and massaging to get them to fit and I ultimately ended up using solid engine mounts to minimize any engine movement. I will say, the solid mounts aren't really an issue. From the work I had to do, It appears that having heads with stock exhaust port location would have simplified my install. Also, they advertise the primary tubes as 1 7/8 but actually the outer diameter is 2 1/8. The tubes are quite large. If you leave the pipes uncoated, they will eventually turn a light bronze. You can use polish to bring back the shine but would be a lot of work if the car is driven a lot. I had difficulty getting clear pictures of where I had to "massage" the pipes and/or the body that someone could look at and understand what they were looking at. Once installed, they do look really nice.... Oh, and one last thing, they are LOUD... even with the full length muffler insert. I am "that guy" that sets off all the car alarms when I roll through a parking lot. LOL

Jacobm99 06-15-2019 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by txfatboy1 (Post 1599580283)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b73e9f489f.jpg
'71 convertible, Borgenson box, TH400 auto trans, 454 with Procomp aluminum heads WITH 1/2 inch higher exhaust ports.... the 1/2 inch being critical for me. I bought the Maximizer brand... which I believe to be the same as the OBX.... I had more issues with the tubes where they exited from under the car. Because the headers were effectively moved up 1/2 inch, I had frame clearance issues on the drivers side and lower body clearance issues on both sides. It took a lot of trimming and massaging to get them to fit and I ultimately ended up using solid engine mounts to minimize any engine movement. I will say, the solid mounts aren't really an issue. From the work I had to do, It appears that having heads with stock exhaust port location would have simplified my install. Also, they advertise the primary tubes as 1 7/8 but actually the outer diameter is 2 1/8. The tubes are quite large. If you leave the pipes uncoated, they will eventually turn a light bronze. You can use polish to bring back the shine but would be a lot of work if the car is driven a lot. I had difficulty getting clear pictures of where I had to "massage" the pipes and/or the body that someone could look at and understand what they were looking at. Once installed, they do look really nice.... Oh, and one last thing, they are LOUD... even with the full length muffler insert. I am "that guy" that sets off all the car alarms when I roll through a parking lot. LOL

Thanks. How much work was it to get the headers to clear the steering box?

Lobzila 06-16-2019 01:40 PM

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fbd81435a4.jpg
Here is a picture of my stock box with a set of Hooker headers installed. It now has Steeroids installed and has more room now. But you can compare the Borgenson to stock for size reference.
As cars in Cali pre-75, you can do anything you want to them, found it odd that OBX wont ship you a set.
Hope the photo helps.

txfatboy1 06-18-2019 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jacobm99 (Post 1599586371)
Thanks. How much work was it to get the headers to clear the steering box?

The 2nd pipe (cyl #3) on the driver side comes with a large "clearance dent" that because of the raised exhaust ports, ends up above the Borgenson box and is not actually needed. I did have to clearance the 3rd pipe (cyl #5) a little where the pipe gets close to the lower corner of the box, about 5 inches down from the exhaust flange.... again, only needed because of the raised exhaust ports.

Milan454 06-20-2019 01:11 PM

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ae412d7041.jpg
My Grand Cherokee box swap with Hooker sidepipe headers