CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   CCW in C2? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4283955-ccw-in-c2.html)

Fordracer9 06-10-2019 06:38 PM

CCW in C2?

The thefts from night 1 of the Power Tour have me thinking. I've never gone anywhere with the car where I felt the need to carry, but it seems that the "safe spaces" are getting less and less safe. Anybody have a holster mounted in car? Hip and ankle are nice, but awful hard to reach while buckled into a C2.

ptjsk 06-10-2019 06:58 PM

There's a lot of concealed carry weapons permits out there. Don't know if there's really room for mounting on a C2, but I do know there's a heck of a lot of options for body carry that is concealed.

Pat

BADBIRDCAGE 06-10-2019 06:59 PM

Depending on the weapon you could consider a cross draw holster for waist carry. Bullard makes a nice one.

I don’t go with a mounted holster in the vehicle. I consider it transporting rather than carrying. If the weapon isn’t on your person you could inadvertently leave the vehicle without the weapon, Then if your car is taken your weapon is also.

Crunch527 06-10-2019 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fordracer9 (Post 1599559098)
The thefts from night 1 of the Power Tour have me thinking. I've never gone anywhere with the car where I felt the need to carry, but it seems that the "safe spaces" are getting less and less safe. Anybody have a holster mounted in car? Hip and ankle are nice, but awful hard to reach while buckled into a C2.

So you expect to be robbed or carjacked while buckled in? What in the hell is going on at the Power Tour these days?

Nowhere Man 06-10-2019 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Crunch527 (Post 1599559278)
So you expect to be robbed or carjacked while buckled in? What in the hell is going on at the Power Tour these days?

While the cars are in the hotel parking lots it’s easy picking for thieves. Quite simple

RatDog 06-10-2019 08:10 PM

I prefer to carry using an outside the waistband holster. It’s easy to access in the car.

In my daily driver, I use a magnetic mount to hold a backup weapon. Amazon has them for less than $10.

Steve

Crunch527 06-10-2019 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man (Post 1599559408)
While the cars are in the hotel parking lots it’s easy picking for thieves. Quite simple

Really? No shit.

That’s not what was asked.

Nowhere Man 06-10-2019 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Crunch527 (Post 1599559681)
Really? No shit.

That’s not what was asked.

No you asked what’s going on these days with the power tour. Not sure how a ccw will help here.

elwood13 06-10-2019 08:57 PM

I was thinking about that the other day. Since I’m not sure of the leg room yet, as the body is away, I thought about gluing a magnet under the carpet by my right leg. Then use a magnetic holster. Almost got car jacked once.

65air_coupe 06-10-2019 09:06 PM

Understand that your risk of being shot in the commission of a crime is 4 times higher if you're armed. Before you make assumptions about me, know that I'm a lifelong gun owner, military vet and former police officer. I'd rather hand over my keys, wallet, cell phone and live to spend another day with my wife and family then fool myself into thinking I'm some kind of Dirty Harry.

65GGvert 06-10-2019 09:35 PM

If you shoot somebody for stealing your car in the hotel parking lot, guess who goes to jail? There are a lot of reasons I would shoot somebody and take the consequences, but attempting to steal my car isn't one.
Doesn't match up with the original question anyway. How does having a car mounted holster help if you're in the hotel room?

CorvetteMikeB 06-10-2019 09:46 PM

Stay at a high end 5 star hotel with valet parking....You won't have that problem. :willy: :cheers:

rayvaflav 06-10-2019 10:30 PM

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1f4e341531.jpg

Whatever you decide, please have the decency to make your choice a both supple and color coordinated one.

Raimondo

Saddletan 06-10-2019 10:31 PM

I wouldn’t let a valet touch my pickup truck.

Since the the penalty for auto theft is a slap in the hand in most places now, maybe if a few of you guys would shoot some thieves they would think twice before trying to steal us old guys cars.

CorvetteMikeB 06-10-2019 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Saddletan (Post 1599560533)
I wouldn’t let a valet touch my pickup truck.

Since the the penalty for auto theft is a slap in the hand in most places now, maybe if a few of you guys would shoot some thieves they would think twice before trying to steal us old guys cars.

Give them a really nice big tip, they did a fine job.

PattiR 06-10-2019 10:42 PM

Ccw

No car is worth the life of the owner OR the life of the crook! Take a life and you live with it every day. Lose your car to a punk and you get a different car.

SonnyAK 06-10-2019 10:44 PM

Sitting in a car is a real trick bag when someone walks up with the advantage! I faced that problem during 22 years of fugitive investigations and long stakeouts sitting in my work car. A shoulder holster is almost the only wearable holster that you can readily use in the car and also easily step out and be ready to go. I'm not a huge fan and never wore them for work since they offer little gun retention when hands on with someone. The gun magnets that are on the market now look appealing for a quick grab while sitting. Having that and wearing a good hip holster to use when out of the car might be a decent compromise. I pocket carry a small .38 a lot and that would be an easy transition to/from an under dash magnet. All of that said, I do always carry, but I always pick my own fight, and that means never drawing my gun unless my death, or the death of those around me is imminent otherwise - not to save a car. Dispatching a shit bag whose trying to carjack you sounds like a great idea, but the litigation and potential following charges that you may have to face are going to turn the world you live in upside down...

elwood13 06-10-2019 10:47 PM

I watch the valet guys at work abuse the crap out of people’s cars as soon as they get in the garage. Saw one tear the side up on brand new GMC Denali hitting the corner column of the garage. I haven’t seen it yet at our valet service but see the key boxes unattended at restaurants all the time.

Frankie the Fink 06-11-2019 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by rayvaflav (Post 1599560525)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1f4e341531.jpg

Whatever you decide, please have the decency to make your choice a both supple and color coordinated one.

Raimondo

Nicely done..... A lot of the don't carry talk assumes some criminal won't just kill you anyway....we had an unarmed father murdered in Tampa by two 16-year old thugs in front of his 10 year old son trying to sell a mini-bike off a Craig's list ad..

The "4 times more likely to be killed in a robbery if you're armed" is based on a flawed Philadelphia study that only included Philadelphia residents and made no distinction between legal and illegal gun owners - can you say inner-city gang-bangers?

At any rate, the question by the OP wasn't if he should carry its how he should carry...and there have been some good examples and practical advice provided by LEOs or ex-LEOs...

Easy Rhino 06-11-2019 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1599559989)
Understand that your risk of being shot in the commission of a crime is 4 times higher if you're armed. Before you make assumptions about me, know that I'm a lifelong gun owner, military vet and former police officer. I'd rather hand over my keys, wallet, cell phone and live to spend another day with my wife and family then fool myself into thinking I'm some kind of Dirty Harry.

Didn't know the 4x higher if armed but I'll take it on faith. I am a lifetime gun owner, retired military, work for the military now, not a former LEO, and would not want to kill someone over a material possession, even though anger and pride might make me want to consider it - but that's hard to explain to a judge.

Originally Posted by 65GGvert (Post 1599560171)
If you shoot somebody for stealing your car in the hotel parking lot, guess who goes to jail? There are a lots
of reasons I would shoot somebody and take the consequences, but attempting to steal my car isn't one. Doesn't match up with the original question anyway. How does having a car mounted holster help if you're in the hotel room?

Again, good point. Car insurance for the car, CCW for personal and family imminent danger survival only.

Originally Posted by SonnyAK (Post 1599560613)
Sitting in a car is a real trick bag when someone walks up with the advantage! I always pick my own fight, and that means never drawing my gun unless my death, or the death of those around me is imminent otherwise - not to save a car. Dispatching a shit bag whose trying to carjack you sounds like a great idea, but the litigation and potential following charges that you may have to face are going to turn the world you live in upside down...

The only alternative I see for something like a power tour is watch standing for you military/LEO types - make up a watchbill of those willing to sign up, use a listing of the cars of those who signed up, and patrol the parking lot with those cars in one hour shifts - unarmed with only a cell phone (beats a four hour midwatch). I got to think that the hot rod power tour is chum in the water for car thieves with a pre-planned route and booked hotels - they are pooling sharks just waiting. You only have to be smarter than the thieves.