CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   CCW in C2? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4283955-ccw-in-c2.html)

BADBIRDCAGE 06-11-2019 07:25 AM

Off OP’s question but: The HRPT could hire police officers at hotel locations for security. Then you have a sworn LEO (pay the department the overtime rate for the officer(s))on duty with full, legal authority. Stolen vehicle problem addressed.

ChattanoogaJSB 06-11-2019 07:38 AM

The cynic in me has to wonder how often classics are really stolen. By the numbers the most commons thefts are SUV’s and pickups and then mostly for profit. Joyriding probably a distant second and your chances of being hit are probably almost nonexistent at a decent hotel.

Yes i know on forum we all know someone who got hit. Hey- if the story bleeds it leads, right? That stuff circulates fast. But how often is it really happening?

I bet Chip Foose steals more old Chevalays than anyone. :D

Frankie the Fink 06-11-2019 07:42 AM

Well -- member ptjsk has his '62 stolen in front of witnesses and several others too... There have been several instances where trailers containing one or more classics are stolen. Of course insurance, surveillance weapons and alarms aren't required for 98% of driving - its the other 2% where they matter...

Yeah, insurance is fine - but you might not get your car back and finding another one of the same caliber could be near impossible (I wouldn't want to have to do it), and, if you do get your car back it can be a long, painful journey to get it "right" again (as in ptjsk's case)..

ChattanoogaJSB 06-11-2019 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1599561539)
Well -- member ptjsk has his '62 stolen in front of witnesses and several others too... There have been several instances where trailers containing one or more classics are stolen. Of course insurance, surveillance weapons and alarms aren't required for 98% of driving - its the other 2% where they matter...

Yeah, insurance is fine - but you might not get your car back and finding another one of the same caliber could be near impossible (I wouldn't want to have to do it), and, if you do get your car back it can be a long, painful journey to get it "right" again (as in ptjsk's case)..

I’m aware of pats loss and return, and you can read about instances of anything but the real number of thefts from decent locations is very, VERY small. Almost meaningless.

Frankie the Fink 06-11-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB (Post 1599561575)
I’m aware of pats loss and return, and you can read about instances of anything but the real number of thefts from decent locations is very, VERY small. Almost meaningless.

Your point being ??

The odds are your car will never be stolen, the odds also are that your classic car will never be in a wreck...
Well I know how I felt and how you probably felt when it happened to both of us...

The odds don't seem to matter much when its you that comes up a loser..

ChattanoogaJSB 06-11-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 1599561629)
Your point being ??

The odds are your car will never be stolen, the odds also are that your classic car will never be in a wreck...
Well I know how I felt and how you probably felt when it happened to both of us...

The odds don't seem to matter much when its you that comes up a loser..

I’m arguing for sport now because it’s early and my coffee tastes good.

The odds of my being in the wreck were so small I never considered not going back out again. Same with theft.

Not only does lightning rarely strike twice...it rarely strikes period.

edit- if being out in my old car required so much worry over theft as is posed here, I wouldn’t have it. I refuse to worry that much about a car.

Mcrider 06-11-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by PattiR (Post 1599560599)
No car is worth the life of the life of the crook! Take a life and you live with it every day. Lose your car to a punk and you get a different car.

I couldn't disagree more. That's pure capitulation to the bad guy. Take, or attempt to take my possessions and you best be prepared to forfeit your life.

Criminals exist because of attitudes like that.

Mcrider 06-11-2019 08:15 AM

My .40 sits in the center console when I travel and my wife's 38 is always in her purse.

RatDog 06-11-2019 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1599561683)
I couldn't disagree more. That's pure capitulation to the bad guy. Take, or attempt to take my possessions and you best be prepared to forfeit your life.

Criminals exist because of attitudes like that.

If you shoot someone for stealing your car, you have to be prepared to go to jail for it. If you kill them, you have to be prepared to give up your own life or forfeit your freedom for the rest of your life.

I’m not prepared to do that for my car.

Steve

Dan Hampton 06-11-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by rayvaflav (Post 1599560525)
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...1f4e341531.jpg

Whatever you decide, please have the decency to make your choice a both supple and color coordinated one.

Raimondo

That looks like a Ralph Lauren or Gucci designed holster. Great taste.

Dan Hampton 06-11-2019 08:42 AM

When I transport my car in an enclosed trailer, I find a spot where I can back up the trailer where access to the back is blocked. I also remove the fuse to my fuel relay in my truck so that the car and trailer cannot be stolen in tandem. Have never had an issue but forewarned is forearmed.

I don't have a "dog in this hunt" but the people I know who have a permit to carry are told by their instructors that the first time the weapon is used in public, you are looking at spending a minimum or $40K in defending yourself. I always thought that the statement was somewhat of a scare tactic but I came across an article that speaks to the cost. Pretty interesting. There appears to be a big difference between using a gun for home protection and, quite another, for protecting property outside the home.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...st-of-defense/

Mickeyrx70 06-11-2019 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by 65air_coupe (Post 1599559989)
Understand that your risk of being shot in the commission of a crime is 4 times higher if you're armed.

—————
Can you provide the source of this statement?

BADBIRDCAGE 06-11-2019 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton (Post 1599561812)
When I transport my car in an enclosed trailer, I find a spot where I can back up the trailer where access to the back is blocked. I also remove the fuse to my fuel relay in my truck so that the car and trailer cannot be stolen in tandem. Have never had an issue but forewarned is forearmed.

I don't have a "dog in this hunt" but the people I know who have a permit to carry are told by their instructors that the first time the weapon is used in public, you are looking at spending a minimum or $40K in defending yourself. I always thought that the statement was somewhat of a scare tactic but I came across an article that speaks to the cost. Pretty interesting. There appears to be a big difference between using a gun for home protection and, quite another, for protecting property outside the home.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blo...st-of-defense/

It’s not a scare tactic. It’s reality. And that presumes you didn’t F up on your shoot. Then there’s the million dollar round that didn’t hit the intended target.

Carrying a firearm for defense is practical. Using said firearm for any reason other than in defense of human life is catastrophic to you.

The keyboard warriors that haven’t worn the Superman suit on duty for a career really don’t understand the reality. I hope they never need to.

CorvetteMikeB 06-11-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by ChattanoogaJSB (Post 1599561648)
I’m arguing for sport now because it’s early and my coffee tastes good.

The odds of my being in the wreck were so small I never considered not going back out again. Same with theft.

Not only does lightning rarely strike twice...it rarely strikes period.

edit- if being out in my old car required so much worry over theft as is posed here, I wouldn’t have it. I refuse to worry that much about a car.

:iagree: It's like worrying about "everything" You just might as well carry a fire extinguisher in your Corvette and have another thing to worry about.

Easy Rhino 06-11-2019 05:15 PM

I'm an old school, vendetta don't mess with my S----, hillbilly, but I try to learn from other's mistakes. There's a time when I would have drawn on someone trying to take my stuff, but I've learned that's not a good idea. Like it or not - you can't take a human life over property (nor would my conscience want to long-term, but that's another thread). Threaten my life and limb, or worse yet, my family's life and limb and I won't hesitate - totally different equation.

There's folks in prison for killing someone, having shot them in the back for stealing a television set. Would it piss me off if someone took my stuff? You bet. But enough to kill? Not even if they needed dying. Cut their hands off maybe.

Don't let pride and anger rule your decision-making if you've got a gun in your hand. CCW is for personal safety, not protecting your toys.

Q: What are you in for, man?
A: I got 20 years for killing a guy trying to steal my car.

Q: Must have been some kinda car, man.
A: Yeah, it was worth like $50K, man.

AZDoug 06-11-2019 05:26 PM

Make sure you know the laws of all the states you will going through. It looks like a gun friendly route, but you never know.

What flies just fine in AZ, doesn't work so well west of the Colorado river.

Doug

RatDog 06-11-2019 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1599565213)
Make sure you know the laws of all the states you will going through. It looks like a gun friendly route, but you never know.

What flies just fine in AZ, doesn't work so well west of the Colorado river.

Doug

The “CCW” app is perfect for that. I don’t leave home without it.

Steve

Crunch527 06-11-2019 07:22 PM

An attorney told me that you cant defend property with deadly force...the whole proportionality issue...they try physically harm you in the process, different story, or at least self defense can be argued.

You shoot some deserving dirt bag for trying to steal your car and you weren’t physically threatened, off you will go.

vettebuyer6369 06-11-2019 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by RatDog (Post 1599561771)
If you shoot someone for stealing your car, you have to be prepared to go to jail for it. If you kill them, you have to be prepared to give up your own life or forfeit your freedom for the rest of your life.

I’m not prepared to do that for my car.

Steve

Actually, it’s disingenuous to word this as if it’s only about “stealing your car” much like it is taking the anti gun talking point out of context that you are more likely to get shot if you have a gun.

Its not about someone taking my car. It’s about one of the meatheads out there that have no regard for human life POINTING A GUN at me or worse, pointing a gun at my wife. 15 years from now, that kid will be telling a Social Worker his sob story about how he was too young or was the product of his environment back when he killed me and my wife.

As a retired LEO, I say if you are likely to shoot yourself if you carry, then don’t. But don’t try to sell me that it’s statistically “better” for someone who would point a gun at me and my wife for me to be unarmed. Forget it. This has nothing to do with the car.

65hihp 06-11-2019 08:15 PM

thank you.