CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C3 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance-3/)
-   -   1981 corvette not getting gas into the carburetor (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c3-tech-performance/4284055-1981-corvette-not-getting-gas-into-the-carburetor.html)

Ryno636 06-10-2019 11:15 PM

1981 corvette not getting gas into the carburetor

This if my first time ever posting on a forum so please bear with me and I apologize if I am not straight to the point.
My 81 corvette has recently been having an issue where it is not getting gas. First time it happened I pulled the fuel line off the carb, turned the engine over and gas squirted out. My guess was a dirty/clogged fuel filter. At the time I did not have the tools to replace the filter so I sprayed into it with starter fluid, hooked everything back up and cranked it. It turned right over and drove home just fine. Next morning I installed a new fuel filter and replaced Some of the old fuel lines going to and from the fuel pump started it up again with no issues. Today, I drove it to work and after work it started, managed to get it backed up and it died on me. I pulled the fuel line coming out of the carburetor and it had gas coming out of it. Pulled the filter, it was clean. I could get it started by pouring gas into the carburetor but it shut off as soon as i finished pouring. I am by no means an expert but I was thinking either the pump doesn’t have enough pressure and is going out, or the floats in the carb are stuck. I am not sure and have never had a problem like this, so I hope someone else may have some helpful information or know how to solve the issue.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.
~Levi

Goody 06-11-2019 12:48 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Since your issue is with the '81 model year, does it still have the CCC Rochester carb on it?
We can assume it is not compression related since it happened once and then you were able to drive again. But have you confirmed it is not ignition related?
Why have you already narrowed your focus to just a fuel issue already?
Have you attempted to pull a code from the computer yet? It might show something but maybe not.
At least right after it dies, take off the air cleaner assy and look down the throat of the carb and manually open the throttle and see if fuel squirts down to the intake. If so, then there is fuel in the carb at the time it died.

Hopefully others will chime in soon with some better help.

Ryno636 06-11-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Goody (Post 1599561035)
Welcome to the forum.

Since your issue is with the '81 model year, does it still have the CCC Rochester carb on it?
We can assume it is not compression related since it happened once and then you were able to drive again. But have you confirmed it is not ignition related?
Why have you already narrowed your focus to just a fuel issue already?
Have you attempted to pull a code from the computer yet? It might show something but maybe not.
At least right after it dies, take off the air cleaner assy and look down the throat of the carb and manually open the throttle and see if fuel squirts down to the intake. If so, then there is fuel in the carb at the time it died.

Hopefully others will chime in soon with some better help.

Yes it has the CCC Rochester carb on it still. It fires up just fine if I pour gas or spray starting fluid into the carb. I have taken the air cleaner off and it is not getting any gas. I have got a friend coming over to help check the codes tonight. Hopefully we can find out what is causing this issue.

terry82 06-11-2019 08:35 PM

take off air filter.look into carb .move the throttle cable to wide open. did you see a squirt of gas? if not look for a bad accelerator pump .