CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Upcoming first C7 experience - renting a C7 in Atlanta (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284183-upcoming-first-c7-experience-renting-a-c7-in-atlanta.html)

rimo 06-11-2019 12:45 PM

Upcoming first C7 experience - renting a C7 in Atlanta

Hello everyone! So I am a longtime corvette lover and former owner of a 1995 Competition Yellow coupe. I have always regretted selling it, but money and school got in the way, so oh well. I'm getting married in a couple weeks and decided to make the weekend even a little more special by driving a corvette all weekend. I was able to rent a C7 from Enterprise Exotics at the Atlanta airport (I live in Atlanta and am flying out of here for the honeymoon) for 4 days at around $450. I'm assuming they only have automatics, but I'd be pleasantly surprised to find a manual if they have one. I am planning on getting a coupe as long as they have some left. I've never gotten a chance to drive a C7 other than a test drive, so what should I try to take in when I have this one for a few days? Targa top off? Any cool features I wouldn't know about?

I'll post an update after the honeymoon on my thoughts!

Rebel Yell 06-11-2019 01:10 PM

Just driving a C7 will be the experience you're looking for. They are great road cars, and IMHO the best Corvette GM has ever built. Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. And, enjoy that Corvette.

dave_2012_tt 06-11-2019 02:29 PM

I hope they give you a corvette worthy of its name. Many times rentals are stripped down versions. I know others will disagree but to me the corvette does not start to be a luxury sport car until 2lt, z51, and mag ride included. If I was the CEO of GM this would be the starting point. But that is me.

Manual is way better but if I was in a new town and new car...I might go auto....just one thing less to get use to. I mean all manuals are a little different in getting use to the clutch...

Enjoy the corvette and the wife...odds are 5 years from now they will be both not be part of your life. Yep, 50, never married. Good luck..really.

DeweyIsgod 06-11-2019 02:57 PM

All of the rentals I've seen are 1LT stingray automatics. It'll be a lot of fun but don't count on trying out any fancy features like mag ride, NPP, or a PDR. But the base car is still pretty great and out-performs 99% of the other cars on the road.

That being said, just turn the mode selector to "sport" or even "track" if you're brave and have fun with it. You can use the paddle shifters to simulate a manual if that's your preference (plus being in M keeps the V4 mode from saving you gas). Reset the trip A or Trip B view...your goal is to average less than 15mpg during your rental for maximum smiles.

yellow2007 06-11-2019 03:02 PM

You would need more than 4 days to learn all the features especially if it is a 3LT. I'm still you tubing the hell out of things after 3 weeks of ownership.

Drive it like you rented it...........................

dbirdhouse1 06-11-2019 03:13 PM

Memorable

A milestone event accentuated by getting married...…..kidding, enjoy this moment as it is all about her and you, congratulations and
enjoy it with the roof popped, listening to the exhaust and putting her into a couple of nice easy sweeping turns. If your bride isn't a car
enthusiast, take it easy on her. Besides, in the future you may need her agreement/consent to continue down the Vette Highway. Show
her how much fun it is, not how scary it can be.....

Vetteman Jack 06-11-2019 11:05 PM

Just enjoy the time you have with the car - take the top out, check out the various displays on the gauge cluster, etc. Be sure to find some nice twisty roads so you can feel the handling that the car has (mindful to be safe in the process).

Maxpowers 06-12-2019 10:38 AM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Try to get one with NPP so you get that sweet exhaust note.

defaria 06-12-2019 10:44 AM

In general, car rental companies don't rent manual transmissions. The reason? Everybody can drive an automatic. Some people can't drive a stick. Why would you unnecessarily limit your customer base?

rmorin1249 06-12-2019 10:45 AM

If you take the top off be sure to latch it back down, front and back. You don't want to join the "Flying Roof Club" with a rental. Enjoy your time with a C7 Corvette. If you decide you want to buy one, the next several months are a great time to buy, huge discounts on lots of cars sitting on dealer lots.:thumbs:

Rebel Yell 06-12-2019 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1599567196)
Just enjoy the time you have with the car - take the top out, check out the various displays on the gauge cluster, etc. Be sure to find some nice twisty roads so you can feel the handling that the car has (mindful to be safe in the process).

So true, and do not under any circumstance turn the traction control off. These cars will slide out from under you in a skinny minute. The rental company wouldn't be very happy if you break their Corvette.