CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   C4 Valve Seals - Blowing smoke on start up (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4284235-c4-valve-seals-blowing-smoke-on-start-up.html)

JenniferChgo 06-11-2019 03:04 PM

C4 Valve Seals - Blowing smoke on start up

I have a 1986 C4 Corvette pretty decent shape I have dumped thousands into it taking care of it all these years I bought it with 12,100 miles in May 1993. It has developed I think every leak possible and I have fixed everyone at the dealer (I know I'm an idiot). I also replaced the air condition upgraded to R-134, blows pretty cold now. Now to my question. I can't get much for the car on trade in, best I have been offered is $6,500 but that's with a trade on a used corvette over 25 grand and it was last year. I recently was offered 6k for trade with the 2009 but I refused and I was able to get the price down $1000 without trade so they probably were offering only 5 grand. That said, to me I have invested 5 grand in the car over the past few summers. It blows a puff of white smoke dealer says little blue too at startup anyone looking the car over to buy it on street will see that on a street deal for over 8 grand. I think I have to fix it? I also don't feel good selling a car to someone and stick them with my problem. Dealer... I don't care let them fix it. Some poor bastard on the street I think that would suck, it could be one of you fine awesome people... So I can't do that. I am going to get the valve seals replaced. Any thoughts on this?

Also any thoughts on while they have the rocker arms off the car should I have them install better ones? My dealer mechanic who has been working on this car since 2004 says its not worth it. Also I guess I could upgrade the valve covers while they are doing the job, what are your thoughts? Any thoughts are welcome just kinda would like to know what others have done and been through. Any recommendations on new valve covers ... maybe it looks nicer stock?

Thank everyone!!! Jennifer

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...6c2fd306a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...743f63176.jpeg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7970d65a3.jpeg
1986 C4 - 2009 C6

Cruisinfanatic 06-11-2019 04:49 PM

Don't spend any more money on the car just to trade it. You need valve seals, not upgrades. If you don't fix before you sell, simply let the prspective buyer know the car needs new seals. Not that big a deal

jmeyer58 06-12-2019 07:50 AM

Valve seals are a nuisance not a mechanical problem. They will not cause additional problems, just a puff of smoke on start up. Do not spend your money to repair, this is true if you are selling or keeping the car. Do not upgrade anything if you are selling, let the new owner decide what they want to improve and what to leave stock. GLWS.

81c3 06-12-2019 08:19 AM

If you can get $6000 to 6500, honestly thats not bad.... but not to a dealer. List in CL, Ebay and here in the For Sale section... sell it private party and just be honest. With all the work youve done, you have receipts and records which is great. For a person who can do the seals, its really very inexpensive and not a particularly hard job on a 350 Chevy.
:cheers:

Kevova 06-12-2019 08:54 AM

I would agree with at least initially leave them alone. Set your price and see what happens. Most people don't expect a 30 year old car to be perfect and SBC and valve seals is a common condition. Buyer may overlook it. If smoke becomes an issue; have an estimate and decide if it's worthwhile. You could also offer split cost on full price sale as a selling point. You will want a "As Is" statement; it's a 30 year old car. Consumer protection varies by state and can be applied to private sales in some cases.

Yukon Corleone 06-13-2019 01:17 PM

I have owned my car 29 years and have made numerous repairs too. I would follow the others advice here too.

Cruisinfanatic 06-13-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kevova (Post 1599568339)
I would agree with at least initially leave them alone. Set your price and see what happens. Most people don't expect a 30 year old car to be perfect and SBC and valve seals is a common condition. Buyer may overlook it. If smoke becomes an issue; have an estimate and decide if it's worthwhile. You could also offer split cost on full price sale as a selling point. You will want a "As Is" statement; it's a 30 year old car. Consumer protection varies by state and can be applied to private sales in some cases.

What state doesn't consider a private sale of an automobile as is?

Kevova 06-13-2019 02:14 PM

Va for 1. What a seller claims and how a court sees it can be 2 different matters. You don't want to end up in small claims, because car breakdown before buyer gets home. There have been some high profile cases of misrepresentation. Jerry Seinfeld with a Porsche. I'm sure there have been a few related to clones sold as originals. But hey. if you are confident buyer won't come back at you; don't have and explicit "as is" claus.

d16dcoe45 06-13-2019 07:26 PM

Aren't those the stock magnesium valve covers or do I have my years wrong? If yes, any "upgrade" to different valve covers would be a real downgrade in my opinion.

Blue smoke at start up is not necessarily valve seals! It could be worn oil rings. A compression or leak-down test will NOT tell you the condition of the oil rings!

fake 06-13-2019 07:52 PM

Keep it! Very nice looking car and why hand it to some one who will probably just abuse it. Try to find another one at that price they offered you. I think some one is trying to blow smoke up your ass!

65Z01 06-15-2019 12:49 AM

I tend to agree on not doing any repairs if you are going to sell it.

Have you considered listing the vehicle on Car Gurus? That's where I found my "new" '89.

Warren Seale 06-15-2019 02:37 PM

How many miles are on it now? If it has >100,000 miles then the valve guides may be worn, so the seals themselves won't stop the oil entirely from going into the head. You may be looking at needing new guides pressed into the head along with new seals.

Warren

JenniferChgo 06-16-2019 07:56 AM

It has 52,000 miles, I have decided to keep it because I test drove a few 1996 C4s all having some problems that I would need to have fixed. I have already fixed a bunch of engine leaks on mine, with my luck I would have to fix all the same leaks on a new C4. I’m probably going to just get the valve seals fixed so the car is in tip top shape (till the next problem). Thanks for all the comments!

65Z01 06-18-2019 12:08 AM

Since you are already paying for labor on the seals, might as well include new springs & retainers.

Does have perimeter or center bolt valve covers?