CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Visit to Corvette Museum (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284274-visit-to-corvette-museum.html)

boss2k 06-11-2019 05:03 PM

Yesterday i was coming back from my weekend trip and stopped over at National corvette museum for a hour and it is a very nice place. Loved to see the shiny brand new cars waiting to be delivered at the museum with owners name written on it and i wished i should have done the museum delivery, its only a 5 hrs drive from my home.

Anyways took the museum tour and there was a video showing how corvettes are made, very informative video and it mentioned that the cars are tested thoroughly and even driven on the track up to 80 Miles/ hr which made me think that

1. Are these engines already broken before they are delivered
2. Are the miles re-set because no way they can go through all these tests and have 3-4 miles on delivery.

Thoughts?

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...ad3186fbc0.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a040d1e691.jpg
Some pics

Vetteman Jack 06-11-2019 05:29 PM

The museum is a fun place to visit. Lots of cool things to see.

GTRSOLO 06-11-2019 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by boss2k (Post 1599565060)
1. Are these engines already broken before they are delivered

Yeah, curious. Mine only had 8 miles on the odo when it was delivered. When I went on the plant tour they showed each vehicle getting on some rollers/dyno machine and getting into the RPM...maybe not redline, but pretty healthy throttle.

On a side note, an engine builder told me he wasn't worried about engine break-in time. He said that if something's gonna fail it will within the first minutes of start-up. So when he would finish building his personal stuff, he would fire it up and basically go around the block, put it on the trailer and go straight to the track and go full throttle hit right off the trailer...seemed to work for him. He may have been referring to parts that he knew already had break-in time that he was re-using in following builds.
Good question.

mschuyler 06-11-2019 07:01 PM

Only a sample of cars "enjoys" the benefit of a more extensive road test. Most cars arrive with less than 10 miles on the odometer. Mine had 3. YMMV.

boss2k 06-11-2019 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599565742)
Only a sample of cars "enjoys" the benefit of a more extensive road test. Most cars arrive with less than 10 miles on the odometer. Mine had 3. YMMV.

That's what I am asking, is it really 3 miles or reset to 3 miles after its quality tested. All cars go through same procedures for QA testing , they are all driven the same way.

DAC17 06-11-2019 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by boss2k (Post 1599566177)
That's what I am asking, is it really 3 miles or reset to 3 miles after its quality tested. All cars go through same procedures for QA testing , they are all driven the same way.

Under federal law, they cannot reset the odometer.

dave_2012_tt 06-12-2019 07:59 AM

I think Ferrari got into trouble a few year back for resetting - I think some dealers where doing this on used ones.

mschuyler 06-12-2019 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by boss2k (Post 1599566177)

Well, no, they are not. That's what I'M saying. Most cars come off the line with about 3 miles on them. They are not "reset." The QA step is computer controlled on a dyno in a static position. A SAMPLE of cars goes on a more extensive real road test, which is about 20-25 miles. I don't know if it is 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 or what or even what they do, but you can hear them take off from a back gate at the factory and they are not being gentle with the cars. They even have a special internal garage where cars that fail part of the test are diagnosed and fixed. It is right the entrance to the plant tours. There was a black coupe in this 'doghouse' that had several technicians poring over the car when I was there.

Zymurgy 06-12-2019 12:06 PM

Yep, NCM Delivery is an awesome experience:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cdaf49ace6.jpg

Z06_Ruff 06-12-2019 12:10 PM

This is a very interesting topic that I honestly never thought about. I hope to visit the museum one day.

naylor99 06-12-2019 12:11 PM

Really enjoyed my visits to the museum, especially most recently when I drove away in my new Corvette...;

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...d8f077461d.png

It was a very nice drive home!

GTRSOLO 06-12-2019 01:00 PM

I was fortunate enough to have been there on opening day...

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...9795c43b22.jpg

boss2k 06-12-2019 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599569535)
Well, no, they are not. That's what I'M saying. Most cars come off the line with about 3 miles on them. They are not "reset." The QA step is computer controlled on a dyno in a static position. A SAMPLE of cars goes on a more extensive real road test, which is about 20-25 miles. I don't know if it is 1 in 25 or 1 in 50 or what or even what they do, but you can hear them take off from a back gate at the factory and they are not being gentle with the cars. They even have a special internal garage where cars that fail part of the test are diagnosed and fixed. It is right the entrance to the plant tours. There was a black coupe in this 'doghouse' that had several technicians poring over the car when I was there.

Ok so you are saying the cars that are driven 25 to 30 miles are delivered with 25 to 30 miles from the factory to the dealership ?

The video mentioned that all cars are driven on the track upto 80 miles/ he so how can they drive only 2 to 3 miles in track and get it upto 80 miles per hr? This is in addition to the other tests they do ..bottom line I find it hard to believe that the delivery miles are the actual miles on the car . I am not questioning or complaining about the QA process which is damn good which shows how good they do the testing process.

Zymurgy 06-12-2019 02:31 PM

The video is WRONG. All cars are NOT driven after production other to put them on the delivery lot at the factory and then the minimal amount of miles added during the delivery process (taking off the truck, parking on dealer lot, driving to dealer PDI area and maybe getting a tankful of gas (many dealers have gas on site).

No cars are driven to the dealer. Even the Chevy dealer in Bowling Green gets his Corvettes by truck.

Miles on the odometer at delivery ARE the actual miles on the car.

CE_Vetteboy 06-12-2019 02:35 PM

Mine had 5 kilometers or 3.1 miles

mschuyler 06-12-2019 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by boss2k (Post 1599570498)
Ok so you are saying the cars that are driven 25 to 30 miles are delivered with 25 to 30 miles from the factory to the dealership ?

The video mentioned that all cars are driven on the track upto 80 miles/ he so how can they drive only 2 to 3 miles in track and get it upto 80 miles per hr? This is in addition to the other tests they do ..bottom line I find it hard to believe that the delivery miles are the actual miles on the car . I am not questioning or complaining about the QA process which is damn good which shows how good they do the testing process.

What Zymurgy said. You can believe the fake news if you want to. Setting back odometer miles is a federal felony. They do not do that. The QA process is as I have stated twice and now for a third time. For most all cars the QA consists of computer checks while the car is stationary. It does several hundred checks in a few seconds, gives a green light if it all passes, whereupon the car is packaged for delivery. This process is shown in several YouTube videos which show the build process. ALL cars, even for museum delivery across the street, are shipped by truck (and rail) to the delivering dealer. Most all cars are delivered with about three (3) miles on the odometer. A dealer may add a few miles during a PDI. The cars that do have 25-30 miles on them have been singled out at random for a more extensive check, which I also detailed above. End of story. Really.

mneblett 06-12-2019 07:26 PM

5 miles on the 2019 Z06 I picked up last Saturday.

gliot1 06-12-2019 08:03 PM

I am not sure how they break in Corvette motors, but years ago I had Chrysler as a customer and for initial break in of motors, they would assemble the motors except for the heads. The tech would attach an electric motor to the crank, oil down the cylinders and run the engine for a set period. After this step, the heads would be installed.

boss2k 06-12-2019 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by mschuyler (Post 1599571969)
What Zymurgy said. You can believe the fake news if you want to. Setting back odometer miles is a federal felony. They do not do that. The QA process is as I have stated twice and now for a third time. For most all cars the QA consists of computer checks while the car is stationary. It does several hundred checks in a few seconds, gives a green light if it all passes, whereupon the car is packaged for delivery. This process is shown in several YouTube videos which show the build process. ALL cars, even for museum delivery across the street, are shipped by truck (and rail) to the delivering dealer. Most all cars are delivered with about three (3) miles on the odometer. A dealer may add a few miles during a PDI. The cars that do have 25-30 miles on them have been singled out at random for a more extensive check, which I also detailed above. End of story. Really.

That's fine maybe u guys have lots of inside info but I am just telling u from what I saw in the video and find it hard to believe the video is fake .. if it's TRUE what the video says no way the cars will have 3 to 5 miles on delivery.

Zymurgy 06-12-2019 09:26 PM

And we are telling you that the video is WRONG! (or you misunderstood what it was saying). Only a very small number of Corvettes are randomly selected for road testing. When those cars get to the dealer, they have 25 or more miles on them, unlike the vast majority that have 3 miles or less on them. I've been through the factory on a private tour. Not exactly inside info, but widely known info which you refuse to accept.