CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   FOB doesn’t work (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284327-fob-doesnt-work.html)

Rob O'Guin 06-11-2019 08:03 PM

FOB doesn’t work

So my 2016 Z06 is garage kept, started once a month and on batt charger during storage. Went to start it last month, nothing. Try to open door and no go. Tried app, no go. Trickle charger works. Light goes from orange to green. Took it off charger 2 days out it back on and it was orange for a bit then went to green. Changed batts in both fobs still nothing. Today I got the key out unlocked from rear and honk/factory alarm started going off. Took me a few seconds to figure out how to stop that,lol. So my thought was the car battery was bad but the rear interior lights were bright and the honk worked great. Don’t know what to do.

DTOM 06-11-2019 08:50 PM

Might need to have your car programed to the fob from the dealership:

It's mentioned at 10:30min

eboggs_jkvl 06-11-2019 10:04 PM

No, you do not need to reprogram the FOBs.

First thing I'd do is go to a store and buy a fresh pair of batteries for the FOBs. Yes, you did that but store bought batteries can be bad from the start.

Are you sure you put the batteries in the FOBs correctly as to polarization? See this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1593868463

SInce you can't get in the car, either the car battery is sick or your FOB batteries are sick.

IF you get no FOB detected on the DIC, try and put your FOB into the slot in the steering column. If the car starts, the FOB batteries are dead. If it won't start with the FOB in the slot, then your car battery sucks.

I have more to say but you need to do what I've written here FIRST.

Elmer

Kent1999 06-12-2019 01:17 PM

What eboggs said.

Just FYI -- C7 *fobs* do NOT get "programmed". It is the CAR itself that is "programmed" to recognize each individual fob's unique, permanent id number.

There is never a need to 'reprogram' the fob for fob battery issues -- even if a fob's battery dies, it's internal ID will never change and it simply cannot 'forget' its programming.

Rob O'Guin 06-12-2019 07:58 PM

Fixed

Originally Posted by DTOM (Post 1599566468)
Might need to have your car programed to the fob from the dealership:

It's mentioned at 10:30min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIsX79es9LA

Thanks guys. I popped open both fobs. The first one I changed the new battery with a new battery and it worked the second ones battery was inserted wrong.

eboggs_jkvl 06-12-2019 09:31 PM

Glad we could help. Now, take it for a drive!

Elmer

JerryU 06-13-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rob O'Guin (Post 1599572561)
Thanks guys. I popped open both fobs. The first one I changed the new battery with a new battery and it worked the second ones battery was inserted wrong.

FWIW, (for others as well) have an "old" battery checker I have used for many years. It loads the battery depending on type. It has an analog meter- yep that old! There is a RED bad area and a GREEN good area. Had two FOBs go "bad." I put a new battery in my main FOB, "just as a precaution" after 2 years. A year later it would not open the door consistently and one time, had to put it in the steering wheel slot to start the car. Thinking it was the FOB I took the 3 year old "never used FOB" and it was erratic opening the door.

Checked the batteries with my "old" battery checker. Both were just barley in the GREEN area. A digital meter showed just below 3 volts. However digital meters draw very little current and may not show a "bad battery" as needed for the C7.

Bought two quality batteries (instead of the cheap ones I had gotten from Amazon.) They read strongly in the GREEN on my analog checker meter and worked fine!

wolfie5254 06-15-2019 03:34 PM

2014 C7 Vert with Key Fob Not Detected???

A little background .... I live in central PA and I own a 2014 C7 convertible. My Vette hibernates in the garage with a trickle charger attached from November to April. Before I wake it up, I change the batteries in both key fobs, so the fob batteries are new and fresh (it's now June).

Yesterday, I attended a car show at a local Dodge dealership. It was a charity event and I was invited to display my C7. I always use the same fob when I drive the car. The other fob is a backup used very rarely when my wife takes the car. I had no issues last night after the show, car unlocked, trunk opened and the engine started with out issue. This morning, I go out to the car (it's in the garage so I didn't lock it last night) and climb in, fob in my front pants pocket, push the start button ..... NOTHING! Message pops up on center display, "NO KEY FOB FOUND", so I push the start button again. This time another message pops up telling me to insert the key fob in the slot on the side of the steering column. So I did. Pushed the start button and after a slight delay, the engine started. As long as the fob was in the steering column slot the engine started as usual. When I turned off the car and removed the fob, I couldn't lock the doors or open the trunk. For the remainder of the day, I couldn't lock the doors, open the trunk or start the engine unless I put the fob into the steering column slot. I also tried the spare key fob and it would not work either unless it was in the slot.

I read the manual regarding the "NO KEY FOB FOUND" message. Went out and bought two new batteries and installed them in both key fobs. NOTHING! I checked the fob battery polarity and confirmed I had installed them correctly. I give up, don't have a clue. The only thing I haven't done is check the car battery, which I will do when I finish this message. I do not want to go the "reprogram" route outlined in the manual. I will take it to the dealer if no one here has any idea (which I doubt will be the case).

HELP!!

Wolfie5254

joemessman 06-15-2019 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by wolfie5254 (Post 1599588619)
A little background .... I live in central PA and I own a 2014 C7 convertible. My Vette hibernates in the garage with a trickle charger attached from November to April. Before I wake it up, I change the batteries in both key fobs, so the fob batteries are new and fresh (it's now June).

Yesterday, I attended a car show at a local Dodge dealership. It was a charity event and I was invited to display my C7. I always use the same fob when I drive the car. The other fob is a backup used very rarely when my wife takes the car. I had no issues last night after the show, car unlocked, trunk opened and the engine started with out issue. This morning, I go out to the car (it's in the garage so I didn't lock it last night) and climb in, fob in my front pants pocket, push the start button ..... NOTHING! Message pops up on center display, "NO KEY FOB FOUND", so I push the start button again. This time another message pops up telling me to insert the key fob in the slot on the side of the steering column. So I did. Pushed the start button and after a slight delay, the engine started. As long as the fob was in the steering column slot the engine started as usual. When I turned off the car and removed the fob, I couldn't lock the doors or open the trunk. For the remainder of the day, I couldn't lock the doors, open the trunk or start the engine unless I put the fob into the steering column slot. I also tried the spare key fob and it would not work either unless it was in the slot.

I read the manual regarding the "NO KEY FOB FOUND" message. Went out and bought two new batteries and installed them in both key fobs. NOTHING! I checked the fob battery polarity and confirmed I had installed them correctly. I give up, don't have a clue. The only thing I haven't done is check the car battery, which I will do when I finish this message. I do not want to go the "reprogram" route outlined in the manual. I will take it to the dealer if no one here has any idea (which I doubt will be the case).

HELP!!

Wolfie5254

Try the easy stuff first. Disconnect your battery and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then reconnect it and try the FOBs. We did that to a C7 at cars and coffee that exhibited the same thing yours is doing. It worked for him. I waited probably 20 minutes, but when I reconnected the battery all was good, and he hasn't had that issue again. Go from there.

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 03:59 PM

1) Your new batteries are bad or you put them in upside down.

If the car starts with the FOB in the steering column, the car battery is fine but the FOB battery sucks.

Check the polarity of the batteries in the FOBs. If correct, throw caution to the wind, go to a different store and buy another set of batteries.

Oh, and another thing, it's always best to start a new thread on a new trouble. Going into a "settled" thread sometimes doesn't get responses very quickly.

Oh, and another thing... DON'T DO THE REPROGRAM! It is not necessary.

Your car battery is fine. No reset is needed. The FOB batteries are not working!

Elmer

wolfie5254 06-15-2019 05:36 PM

Elmer,
Bought new batteries. Checked voltage with volt meter, both measured 3.15 volts. Polarity is correct per manual with negative side down. Checked car battery with volt meter, measured 12.69 volts. Neither fob works. Car will start with either fob in the steering column slot.

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 05:42 PM

Positive side faces down. The + side of the battery is placed on the + sign in the FOB.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...27afc11bf3.jpg

Elmer

wolfie5254 06-15-2019 05:54 PM

By down, I meant the positive side was facing me with the battery in the fob half as shown in the manual so the battery positive side touches the contacts on the back of the touch pad circuit board. Does that make sense?

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by wolfie5254 (Post 1599589201)
By down, I meant the positive side was facing me with the battery in the fob half as shown in the manual so the battery positive side touches the contacts on the back of the touch pad circuit board. Does that make sense?

Do your batteries look like my battery? I just opened my FOB and took a high resolution shot of the inside for you.

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 06:02 PM

The user's manual was written by the Chinese! If you see the positive side of the battery when it's inserted in the FOB, the battery is upside down.

Elmer

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 06:11 PM

Nudder words, negative side up:D

wolfie5254 06-15-2019 07:06 PM

Yes, mine looks like yours, the + side of my battery contacts the + sign on the flexible PC board. Just for the hell of it, I flipped the battery over ... no change, still doesn’t work. The voltage, as measured, is 3.15 volts which is little over the 3 volt rating.

Are you kidding me about the manual being written by the Chinese? I hope you are?

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 07:20 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a2fbe50765.jpg
The plus side of the battery does NOT touch the contacts on the circuit board. The negative side of the battery is up and it touches the 4 prongs. The + side of the battery is face down into the black plastic case lid.

If you see the + sign on the battery and can read the writing after it is inserted in the black plastic cover, the battery is upside down.

eboggs_jkvl 06-15-2019 07:33 PM

Ok, we are getting no where fast. You are sure that the batteries are good. You are sure that they are in correctly (can't see the writing on the battery when inserted in the plastic cover), then you should look here at table 2. FOB not detected. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-and-rke.html

It is a decision table that takes you down a list of things that ends up with a bad rcdlr which is something that a dealer needs to replace.

Elmer

wolfie5254 06-15-2019 08:45 PM

I apologize, I couldn’t see the battery in your first picture. Your picture of just the battery and you last post set me straight. Yes, I had the battery in the wrong way! I did as you said and now both fobs work. I must have gotten two bad batteries when I replaced them in April because both fobs worked after I replaced the batteries.

i really appreciate your help and for saving me an expensive trip to the dealer. And thanks for your patience!