CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance-101/)
-   -   ‘06 Base/Z51 Differential (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-tech-performance/4284416-e06-base-z51-differential.html)

HC Mechanic 06-12-2019 12:35 AM

‘06 Base/Z51 Differential

Planning on switching over to an RPM Transmissions level 7 TR6060 trans with a custom gear set, for this I’m considering upgrading my stock differential to either a stage 2 or stage 3.

Stage 2 includes Z06 half shafts while stage 3 gives you 300M half shafts, carbon clutches, and Z06 pinion support.
So far I’m leaning towards the stage 2 upgrade being more then enough.

Goals:
Planning to stay n/a with no more then 600rwtq. I have little interest in doing excessively hard launches from a stop. Much more interested in roll racing and occasional road course work.

I’m curious to gain a consensus on what level of rwtq and use the standard C6 differential can handle?

jonjoy 06-13-2019 01:14 AM

don't see a problem with that, I'm running near 500 RWTQ and the SC people are running over that with no issues. C5 ZO6 half shafts are a nice upgrade

Owenco 06-28-2019 08:43 PM

I have 30kmiles on a Zip corvette built 3.90 '08 differential. 460rwhp 435tq. All cryo treated case, gears, etc. Hardened half shafts and hd clutches. I change the fluid way too often. No issues though I don't drag race. I do know that ESPECIALLY wheel hop or a solid dead hook on radials will spoil your fun quick. But I've heard of people pushing MUCH more power on these differentials. 700+. Just whatever you do, don't wheel hop and you should be fine. Lots of threads on eliminating that gremlin. Go for it or sit around and wait for a Z06 tr6060 and differential. They pop up from time to time.

Mike's LS3 06-29-2019 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by HC Mechanic (Post 1599567480)
Planning on switching over to an RPM Transmissions level 7 TR6060 trans with a custom gear set, for this I’m considering upgrading my stock differential to either a stage 2 or stage 3.

Stage 2 includes Z06 half shafts while stage 3 gives you 300M half shafts, carbon clutches, and Z06 pinion support.
So far I’m leaning towards the stage 2 upgrade being more then enough.

Goals:
Planning to stay n/a with no more then 600rwtq. I have little interest in doing excessively hard launches from a stop. Much more interested in roll racing and occasional road course work.

I’m curious to gain a consensus on what level of rwtq and use the standard C6 differential can handle?

Wheel hop seems to be the destruction culprit of the C6 differential. So that would be key to eliminate.

The RPM stage two differential addresses the two weakest links in the base C6 differential.
1. Half shafts upgraded to Z06 half shafts.
2. Weak oem preload springs upgraded to HD preload springs.

I am using the RPM stage 2 differential with the similar rwhp and driving interests with no issues. If you plan on hard launches, then upgrade further and hope nothing else breaks. :cheers:

timd38 06-30-2019 08:25 PM

I went with a Quaife and G-Force axles along with a ECS brace and SKF racing bearings. Nothing has broken in 7 years with 416" LS3 with 500+rwhp. Also have Hinson mounts front and rear, zero wheel hop.