CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is it worth ordering a '19? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284494-is-it-worth-ordering-a-19-a.html)

dbdave 06-12-2019 11:02 AM

Is it worth ordering a '19?

Reading about the paint problems at the panel joints, the A8 situation, the wheel problems, and the warbling problem makes me wonder if it's worth ordering a '19. I have no desire to get a C8, I don't track my car, I have a perfect '14 A6 3LT coupe right now and am wondering if upgrading to the latest version of the C7 is worth the move or will I be at the dealership getting problems fixed. It would be my last Corvette unless they continue the FE later on. I would order a standard GS A8 2LT coupe and it would be used as a touring car, just as the one I currently have. There are 16K miles on the '14.

I don't ask what would you do but want opinions of how significant or widespread these problems are. I realize car forums tend to make problems seem much worse than they are but I would like to upgrade a bit. I appreciate any comments.

KenHorse 06-12-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dbdave (Post 1599569072)
I realize car forums tend to make problems seem much worse than they are but I would like to upgrade a bit. I appreciate any comments.

Answered your own question you did

Null Pointer 06-12-2019 11:18 AM

I have a 2019 - no paint problems at the joints, so far. It's an M7, but my 2017 was an A8 with no problems. As for tires and wheels, buy the warranty when you buy the car if that makes you feel more comfortable in your decision. Talk to Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet, or one of the other big forum sellers.

ZO6 cracker 06-12-2019 11:39 AM

I traded my C5 Z06 in on my 19 Z06. I knew I did not want the C8. I’am glad the 19 will be the last year for the C7. Just my opinion. So far I am very happy with my Black Z. Had the works done to it with paint correction ceramic coat and Suntex fully wrapped. I don’t have any of the issues with the paint problem. Even the guy that did the paint correction said my black paint looked really good compared to a lot that he has done. Not really worried about the wheel issues. I took the warranty on them. And if I do down the road I will buy new aftermarket wheels. Good luck with your decision.

Dundon929 06-12-2019 11:43 AM

2019 Grand Sport, A8, no paint issues, no warbling (Range from Day 1), no wheel issues...just beautiful fun! Go grab one before they're gone!

Cork76063 06-12-2019 11:53 AM

2019 Grand Sport here too - 2LT, A8 purchased April '18 now has 6k miles, no paint/joint problems, nor wheel or warbling. Not my daily driver, been in shop once to replace belt tensioner which failed at 4k miles. Purchase and enjoy!

Maxpowers 06-12-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599569115)
Answered your own question you did

:iagree:

Patman 06-12-2019 12:12 PM

These forums definitely make it seem like every car is a lot of trouble, but that's not reality. I have a late build 2018 that has not had any problems whatsoever, no peeling paint, a perfect A8, wheels haven't bent or cracked, absolutely no complaints! So go ahead and grab a 2019 with confidence!

itsonlyairandfuel 06-12-2019 12:12 PM

If you want a C7, wait till the trade ins for the C8 flood the market, and crush the values lower. Just like they have every time the models change. Don't confuse opinions with the facts. Been there done that.

JDSKY 06-12-2019 12:18 PM

If you have the money to spend and want a GS then just do it. I contemplated doing the same as I have a 14' A6 3LT (vert) but after some test drives decided the only significant upgrade for me was to go Z06 vs GS but now was looking at $30K plus so decided to just keep the money in the bank and keep enjoying my car for now. Upgrade-itis is a real disease with me and my toys but sometimes I can keep it in check.

Also, nobody really knows just how good the C8 is going to be. While at the moment it can be easy to say I would never want an ME Corvette the car could be so spectacular as to convert buyers that are saying no way today.

orca1946 06-12-2019 12:30 PM

Get what you want now! As my son said
" Dad -- how long did it takes Porshe to get the mid engine right? Do you think G M will get it right at the 1st issue?"

rogue3standingby 06-12-2019 12:39 PM

<deleted>

JDSKY 06-12-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel (Post 1599569621)
If you want a C7, wait till the trade ins for the C8 flood the market, and crush the values lower. Just like they have every time the models change. Don't confuse opinions with the facts. Been there done that.

Facts? Please define exactly what you mean when you use the word "crush." Show me on this chart where the steep decline (crushed) in values of the C6 took place anytime within the first year of the C7 launch. I'll also give you one guess as to what this chart looks like for other model year Corvette transitions. Some want to say it's because this is a revolutionary change. The new car is going to be so good all other Corvette's are going to be garbage. Other's like myself tend to believe what actually DID happen in the past will likely happen again this time. Contrary to some that think the sky will be falling right along with the prices of used C7's I think there will be plenty of demand for them for some time to come. Not that many prospective buyers have $60, 70, 80K or more to spend on one of these toys. This is what keeps the used market for previous generations of Corvette chugging right along and has absolutely nothing to do with how revolutionary the new model is or isn't.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cbe043ce52.png

TXshaggy 06-12-2019 01:09 PM

Keep what you have, difference between your car and 19GS is not worth it....very similar cars.

2019Vette 06-12-2019 01:18 PM

2019 here and had the bumper paint issue - no big deal, took it in had it fixed that’s the end of it. I wouldn’t not order a car in fear of it.

btorlv 06-12-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599570010)
Keep what you have, difference between your car and 19GS is not worth it....very similar cars.

IM in the same boat as the op, your post makes the most sense.

7spd 06-12-2019 03:12 PM

Considering you already own a C7 makes it a little more difficult to justify but you'd still be getting a brand new car with a full factory warranty. Nothing is better than brand new! I bought my 19 Z back in November and just hit 5,300 miles today. It has been flawless, not a single issue to complain about. I just love this car 😍

kenownr 06-12-2019 03:20 PM

My 2015 3LT A8 base had no problems at all with 40K on it. Upgraded to a 2019 C7Z 2LT A8. No issues so far although only a couple thousand on it. As OP said, I'm really not interested in a ME at this point, but I will certainly look at one when they come out. I figure it will take a couple years to get the bugs out and maybe at least a year or two before the GS/Z performance versions show up. To answer the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a 19 with all the deals being offered.

captain vette 06-12-2019 03:42 PM

one of my friend just get is 2019 Z51 Stingray 3lt last week and i can attest that is car is impeccable the fit and finish of that car have nothing to envy to any German or Italian car.

Judgment Day 06-12-2019 05:01 PM

If you want a C7, that's fine. But if you want to order a C7, I'm hoping you can make your decision fairly quickly given the upcoming ordering deadlines.