CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Is it worth ordering a '19? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284494-is-it-worth-ordering-a-19-a.html)

dbdave 06-12-2019 11:02 AM

Is it worth ordering a '19?

Reading about the paint problems at the panel joints, the A8 situation, the wheel problems, and the warbling problem makes me wonder if it's worth ordering a '19. I have no desire to get a C8, I don't track my car, I have a perfect '14 A6 3LT coupe right now and am wondering if upgrading to the latest version of the C7 is worth the move or will I be at the dealership getting problems fixed. It would be my last Corvette unless they continue the FE later on. I would order a standard GS A8 2LT coupe and it would be used as a touring car, just as the one I currently have. There are 16K miles on the '14.

I don't ask what would you do but want opinions of how significant or widespread these problems are. I realize car forums tend to make problems seem much worse than they are but I would like to upgrade a bit. I appreciate any comments.

KenHorse 06-12-2019 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by dbdave (Post 1599569072)
I realize car forums tend to make problems seem much worse than they are but I would like to upgrade a bit. I appreciate any comments.

Answered your own question you did

Null Pointer 06-12-2019 11:18 AM

I have a 2019 - no paint problems at the joints, so far. It's an M7, but my 2017 was an A8 with no problems. As for tires and wheels, buy the warranty when you buy the car if that makes you feel more comfortable in your decision. Talk to Mike Furman at Criswell Chevrolet, or one of the other big forum sellers.

ZO6 cracker 06-12-2019 11:39 AM

I traded my C5 Z06 in on my 19 Z06. I knew I did not want the C8. I’am glad the 19 will be the last year for the C7. Just my opinion. So far I am very happy with my Black Z. Had the works done to it with paint correction ceramic coat and Suntex fully wrapped. I don’t have any of the issues with the paint problem. Even the guy that did the paint correction said my black paint looked really good compared to a lot that he has done. Not really worried about the wheel issues. I took the warranty on them. And if I do down the road I will buy new aftermarket wheels. Good luck with your decision.

Dundon929 06-12-2019 11:43 AM

2019 Grand Sport, A8, no paint issues, no warbling (Range from Day 1), no wheel issues...just beautiful fun! Go grab one before they're gone!

Cork76063 06-12-2019 11:53 AM

2019 Grand Sport here too - 2LT, A8 purchased April '18 now has 6k miles, no paint/joint problems, nor wheel or warbling. Not my daily driver, been in shop once to replace belt tensioner which failed at 4k miles. Purchase and enjoy!

Maxpowers 06-12-2019 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599569115)

:iagree:

Patman 06-12-2019 12:12 PM

These forums definitely make it seem like every car is a lot of trouble, but that's not reality. I have a late build 2018 that has not had any problems whatsoever, no peeling paint, a perfect A8, wheels haven't bent or cracked, absolutely no complaints! So go ahead and grab a 2019 with confidence!

itsonlyairandfuel 06-12-2019 12:12 PM

If you want a C7, wait till the trade ins for the C8 flood the market, and crush the values lower. Just like they have every time the models change. Don't confuse opinions with the facts. Been there done that.

JDSKY 06-12-2019 12:18 PM

If you have the money to spend and want a GS then just do it. I contemplated doing the same as I have a 14' A6 3LT (vert) but after some test drives decided the only significant upgrade for me was to go Z06 vs GS but now was looking at $30K plus so decided to just keep the money in the bank and keep enjoying my car for now. Upgrade-itis is a real disease with me and my toys but sometimes I can keep it in check.

Also, nobody really knows just how good the C8 is going to be. While at the moment it can be easy to say I would never want an ME Corvette the car could be so spectacular as to convert buyers that are saying no way today.

orca1946 06-12-2019 12:30 PM

Get what you want now! As my son said
" Dad -- how long did it takes Porshe to get the mid engine right? Do you think G M will get it right at the 1st issue?"

rogue3standingby 06-12-2019 12:39 PM

<deleted>

JDSKY 06-12-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by itsonlyairandfuel (Post 1599569621)
If you want a C7, wait till the trade ins for the C8 flood the market, and crush the values lower. Just like they have every time the models change. Don't confuse opinions with the facts. Been there done that.

Facts? Please define exactly what you mean when you use the word "crush." Show me on this chart where the steep decline (crushed) in values of the C6 took place anytime within the first year of the C7 launch. I'll also give you one guess as to what this chart looks like for other model year Corvette transitions. Some want to say it's because this is a revolutionary change. The new car is going to be so good all other Corvette's are going to be garbage. Other's like myself tend to believe what actually DID happen in the past will likely happen again this time. Contrary to some that think the sky will be falling right along with the prices of used C7's I think there will be plenty of demand for them for some time to come. Not that many prospective buyers have $60, 70, 80K or more to spend on one of these toys. This is what keeps the used market for previous generations of Corvette chugging right along and has absolutely nothing to do with how revolutionary the new model is or isn't.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...cbe043ce52.png

TXshaggy 06-12-2019 01:09 PM

Keep what you have, difference between your car and 19GS is not worth it....very similar cars.

2019Vette 06-12-2019 01:18 PM

2019 here and had the bumper paint issue - no big deal, took it in had it fixed that’s the end of it. I wouldn’t not order a car in fear of it.

btorlv 06-12-2019 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by TXshaggy (Post 1599570010)
Keep what you have, difference between your car and 19GS is not worth it....very similar cars.

IM in the same boat as the op, your post makes the most sense.

7spd 06-12-2019 03:12 PM

Considering you already own a C7 makes it a little more difficult to justify but you'd still be getting a brand new car with a full factory warranty. Nothing is better than brand new! I bought my 19 Z back in November and just hit 5,300 miles today. It has been flawless, not a single issue to complain about. I just love this car 😍

kenownr 06-12-2019 03:20 PM

My 2015 3LT A8 base had no problems at all with 40K on it. Upgraded to a 2019 C7Z 2LT A8. No issues so far although only a couple thousand on it. As OP said, I'm really not interested in a ME at this point, but I will certainly look at one when they come out. I figure it will take a couple years to get the bugs out and maybe at least a year or two before the GS/Z performance versions show up. To answer the OP, I wouldn't hesitate to grab a 19 with all the deals being offered.

captain vette 06-12-2019 03:42 PM

one of my friend just get is 2019 Z51 Stingray 3lt last week and i can attest that is car is impeccable the fit and finish of that car have nothing to envy to any German or Italian car.

Judgment Day 06-12-2019 05:01 PM

If you want a C7, that's fine. But if you want to order a C7, I'm hoping you can make your decision fairly quickly given the upcoming ordering deadlines.

dvilin 06-12-2019 05:18 PM

If you have no interest in the C8 I would upgrade. I have a 2019 Z06 for 15 months now, no paint issues, no bent wheels, etc. All good the forum leans towards those with problems.

saleen556 06-12-2019 05:29 PM

There have been so few changes since the 17 model. I’d be looking for a well kept 17 or a leftover 18. I don’t see any advantage in a 19 unless a ZR1 of course.

SilverGhost 06-12-2019 05:43 PM

Why play Russian roulette? You pulled the trigger once and are still here and happy. A 19 GS? YOU WILL NEVER FEEL THE DIFFERENCE. Ok looking in the side view mirrors at the bedonka wide hips of the wide body is cool. What's not cool is picking out over a 100 gravel bits, and some metal bits and glass bits outta wide butt cup2's with only 1200 miles on them as you quickly change to AS 3+'s. Not cool spending more money on ceramic brake pads cause of the brembo dust. Ok, the RANGE switches easily and is still good on GS AND Z06. Splitters on the GS will just give you one more headache to watch for as curbs and risers are their mortal enemies. (Good company though, the Lemans ferrari 488 competitors in the c7 vettes lemans class have already broken 2 splitters in practice for saturdays race). Naw, same horsepower on a phat lady. Pass.

AND YET, I traded a 17 trouble-free z51 a8 vert in literally a New York minute (was at a New York dealer at that time) FOR A STEP UP, a Z06 A8 vert, ceramic brakes from the factory, so no brake pad swap needed.
I bought an '18 leftover, as the same car priced on the 19 build a vette webpage was $2000 higher msrp'ed, and i got more than the standard 12% custom order discount.

Since I improved the performance of my vette, I pulled the trigger again. I'll cross the trouble bridges (if) when I come to them, Cause a similarly performing porsche GT3 would cost me twice as much.

rmorin1249 06-12-2019 05:46 PM

Your '14 has already suffered most of its depreciation. If you buy a '19 it will lose another 20% as soon as you drive it off the lot. A GS is a Stingray Z51 with Z06 bodywork. If you are happy with the performance if your '14 I would keep it.

Skid Row Joe 06-12-2019 05:51 PM

Given your desires, I would go ahead and upgrade to a '19, if I were you.

What kind of trade in numbers are you getting on your '14?

449er 06-12-2019 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dbdave (Post 1599569072)
Reading about the paint problems at the panel joints, the A8 situation, the wheel problems, and the warbling problem makes me wonder if it's worth ordering a '19. I have no desire to get a C8, I don't track my car, I have a perfect '14 A6 3LT coupe right now and am wondering if upgrading to the latest version of the C7 is worth the move or will I be at the dealership getting problems fixed. It would be my last Corvette unless they continue the FE later on. I would order a standard GS A8 2LT coupe and it would be used as a touring car, just as the one I currently have. There are 16K miles on the '14.

I don't ask what would you do but want opinions of how significant or widespread these problems are. I realize car forums tend to make problems seem much worse than they are but I would like to upgrade a bit. I appreciate any comments.

Stick with what you have, you have answered your own question

Skid Row Joe 06-12-2019 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599569115)

Not always.

Some people pretend that others don't have problems with their new C7s and bury their heads in the sand. Many of them jeer at others reporting problems they're having with their new Corvette.

Some people pretend they don't have problems with their new C7s, and never complain OR report them. Many are afraid of losing face, masochists, or, are easily manipulated by Chev. dealers during their new Corvette ownership.

The reasonable new Corvette owners are the ones that report defects and maladies that are not being tended to by GM. These aren't overblown complainers. They're generally victims of GM not taking care of the problem/s.

A big supporter of buying new C7s here on forum, came out recently with a tell all of his poor GM Corvette experience. I was surprised to read about the awful experience he related on forum. If ever there was a C7 Corvette "homer," this guy was - until GM jerked him around. It's ironic how a poor product experience can turn a previously satisfied customer into a staunch enemy of the brand. But it happens every day...

Avanti 06-12-2019 07:23 PM

Well, if you don't want a C8, I guess you answered your own question. :yesnod: :thumbs:

They don't all have such problems by any means, individually much less all together. Your call.

blb078 06-12-2019 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by captain vette (Post 1599571016)
one of my friend just get is 2019 Z51 Stingray 3lt last week and i can attest that is car is impeccable the fit and finish of that car have nothing to envy to any German or Italian car.

Since I have a Z51 like your friend and a high end Italian car I can tell you do not know what impeccable fit and finish is. There is no debate my Huracan is significantly better built car on both the inside and out. Is it worth the price? That is up to the buyer to decide but I find it funny when people try to compare the fit and finish of a C7 to a high end German or Italian car when the reality is they probably have never seen one and definitely haven't side by side ot a C7. When I say high end I'm not referring to the 80k Benz or BMW that you see every day. I was going to trade in my Z51 which is a '17 and order a '19 Z06, after looking at a few '19s at dealers and seeing the paint while somewhat better is still lacking for a car that would be a six figure msrp. That seems like it's aways been the knock against the Vette even before the C7, it's the interior and exterior are not up to par for the price of the car and even the '19s seem no different. It's even funnier when people with their Zr1's think their car is a better built car than a 50k stingray when in reality they all use the same parts(excluding the aero) and same paint. As much as I like the way my C7 looks I hope the C8 is an improvement in fit and finish.

Skid Row Joe 06-12-2019 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by blb078 (Post 1599572512)
Since I have a Z51 like your friend and a high end Italian car I can tell you do not know what impeccable fit and finish is. There is no debate my Huracan is significantly better built car on both the inside and out. Is it worth the price? That is up to the buyer to decide but I find it funny when people try to compare the fit and finish of a C7 to a high end German or Italian car when the reality is they probably have never seen one and definitely haven't side by side ot a C7. When I say high end I'm not referring to the 80k Benz or BMW that you see every day. I was going to trade in my Z51 which is a '17 and order a '19 Z06, after looking at a few '19s at dealers and seeing the paint while somewhat better is still lacking for a car that would be a six figure msrp. That seems like it's aways been the knock against the Vette even before the C7, it's the interior and exterior are not up to par for the price of the car and even the '19s seem no different. It's even funnier when people with their Zr1's think their car is a better built car than a 50k stingray when in reality they all use the same parts(excluding the aero) and same paint. As much as I like the way my C7 looks I hope the C8 is an improvement in fit and finish.

Give us your complete chronology with your Hurican? Spare no details. Price you paid for it, etc. Give us everything!

Bradysdad 06-12-2019 11:59 PM

Two months ago I traded my 16 Z51 M7 Coupe for a new 19 GS A8 Coupe with 8 miles on the odo. Range since 200 miles. No wheel, warble, lifter, paint or A8 issues and I just turned 4200 miles. Love the wide body and all associated parts and pieces.

You will get all sorts of opinions and usually the loudest are those who have had the most problems. There are many who have had no issues for every 1 that have. Ultimately you have to be happy with what you decide.

I love driving these beasts every chance I get and living in the upper Midwest with a limited driving season, I take advantage of it. They are well engineered cars and that is what people forget....they are cars and are designed to be used.

Want, sentiment and budget are usually the determining factors in making a decision. (And the wife of course :rock:) Everyone has opinions on the C8 without knowing much if anything about it. We have not even seen a production unit yet and there are already thousands of opinions out there.

You may want to consider keeping what you have until the C8 is revealed. By then, there will still be a lot of new C7s available or if the C8 makes an impression, you have another option.

Good luck!!

Maxie2U 06-13-2019 12:11 AM

As the song goes...It’s Now or Never” if you want to custom order a GS because they are about to stop taking orders very very soon.

The vast majority of A8 owners have not experienced any problem. In fact, if you look at the total number of A8s built since 2015 and count how many have reported problems on the forum you will find it’s .oox%. And remember people seek out forums when they have a problem so it skews reality.

So it comes down to do you really want an GS with an automatic (or a manual) or will you regret not owning the last of the greatest front-engine sports car in American history.

dbdave 06-13-2019 12:19 AM

Thanks everyone for your opinions. :thumbs:

Some of the reasons I'm looking at for upgrading are the hatch pulldown, Apple Carplay, PDR, front camera, and believe it or not the A8. I also want to switch from VY/black to AW/red. Otherwise, it would be basically the same car.
I'm leaning toward keeping what I've got because it is a stunning vehicle mostly because of the color. Got to move quickly to order. We'll see.

blb078 06-13-2019 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1599573817)
Give us your complete chronology with your Hurican? Spare no details. Price you paid for it, etc. Give us everything!

Salty much? I love it!

Rebel Yell 06-13-2019 02:08 PM

My '19 GS Roadster was just fine in the fit, and finish department. Transmission is great, and the warble was in the base car with the standard gearing, and the A8. Not all issues reported as being a warble were actually the warble. I know as I was in the thick of the warble issue with my '16 base A8.

eagleye 06-14-2019 11:45 AM

Read any car forums across manufacturer lines and there are problems with other cars as well. I have a 19 GS 2LT w/A8 that I ordered with confidence from my dealership and I know they will stand behind because of the relationship I have with them as a customer. If you want it .... Just Get It! Life is too short.

roadbike56 06-14-2019 01:30 PM

I've read this in several different posts. It simply wasn't true when the C7 was launched. The C6 values did not collapse. Much of that had to do with the fact that C7s were selling at or above MSRP. Without substantial discounts for new Corvettes, the used cars held their value very well. I know because I bought a C5 in 2012 and was looking at a C6 in 2014 (came close to buying). Part of the reason used Corvettes were doing well was all the hype generated by the C7 caused a demand for used Corvettes. Not everyone could afford a new Corvette, but wanted a late model used Corvette. I remember one of the local Chevy dealers complaining they didn't have enough used C5s and C6s to meet the demand. I expect C7 values to depreciate at the current rate, with no big drop in value.

papillion 06-14-2019 02:04 PM

Hmm?

The C8 will blow out of showrooms day one. Then be back on the service drive day two. With the resulting bad press. Negative forum posts. And water cooler chatter. Such a dramatic change, I just don't see how there won't be a steep learning curve for GM. By 2022, C8 hiccups are over, early adopters sated, and prices are discounted. More this generation than usual, C8 trades will not be exclusively C?. Going to be some new blood in the market. And C7s will be in demand used rides. Are you going to make money? Of course not. But the used buyer is never the early adopter so prices will have some demand support.

Mr Triple Black 06-14-2019 02:09 PM

Realistically you don’t have to go all the way to 19. If you can find a great deal on a 17/18 with super low miles that’s still an upgrade and you can save some money.

mschuyler 06-14-2019 02:13 PM

The C6 -> C7 was an incremental upgrade. The C7 -> C8 is a radical change. I suspect a certain percentage of people will reject this change for a variety of reasons. They will keep the C7 market alive without a steep decline in prices.

Display333 06-14-2019 02:45 PM

what he said

SASprof 06-14-2019 09:25 PM

Cars are mechanical things. They have issues. The more exotic, the more issues. That’s what warranties are for.
My C6 and C7 both had multiple serious issues. All taken care of by my great local dealer, at no cost to me, under my 7-year extended warranty. No worries. I love Corvettes.

Badgerfan87 06-15-2019 05:28 PM

My 2019 GS I purchased new from forum dealer in May 2018. 5900; miles so far no A8 issues , No paint issues , no wheel issues that I am aware of though I did buy a tire/wheel warranty from GM (not third party) for 5 years zero deductible . As stated in earlier posts to this thread I have a 7yr/56k GMEPP to cover any issues that may arise except for bent/cracked wheel which the wheel coverage will take care of. I am sure things will break on the car at some point but I have coverage to take care of that.

Dan

Zelicious 06-16-2019 04:48 PM

This is my plan. Have an 18 factory ordered GS M7 but I want a Z06. Traded my C6 Z06 for the C7 and I miss the power! Gonna watch the market when the C8's come out and then make my move!

23/C8Z 06-16-2019 05:11 PM

i hear you OP. I am in a similar situation. my feelings are this:
1. the C8 ME car will be plagued at the onset by chevy cheapness like no other gen change because of the FE to ME..
2. they will want a mint for them... not paying even MSRP for a car.. i'll wait until it calms down.. i'm not 90yo and if i go before? so be it..i'll be gone enjoying the C7
3. I can get the new car EXACTLY how i want and at 12%? how can it go wrong?
4. the improvements (on the Z06 especially) make it worth the 20k it's a gonna cost me to move up 3yrs newer and have all the improvements not to mention the PAINT..
5. strongly considering a complete color change (Sebring Orange) and interior design (all suede /cf interior... wasn't offered on my car unless i wanted the black suede design)
6. the value of my Z06 is so god right now i can't resist making the move.. buying at 20% off back then made all the difference.

NEGATIVES
1. I don't owe a lot on my 16 with 7500 miles on it.. it's loaded and i've pumped a bunch into it inside and out..
2. Although plenty can be swapped to the new car, i'll lose the $2500 in Xpel, the Jake Stinger and CF Vinyl roof.. so not too bad.. but still a negative

Good luck OP..

GreenGA 06-16-2019 06:37 PM

I just ordered a 2019 convertible M7 Z06 3LZ because I love convertibles and manuals and I believe this is my last opportunity to get both. Were I not so financially foolish, I would have waited for the Z06 version of the C8.

Doesn't really answer your question, just one person's approach about ordering a new 19 C7.