CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Uh Oh....tire question (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4284515-uh-oh-tire-question.html)

petepd 06-12-2019 11:59 AM

Uh Oh....tire question

Just noticed the cord is showing on the inside of my front tires! Think it'll be ok to drive to the dealership 20 miles away at 50 MPH? (And yes, I know I'm an idiot for letting this happen.)

X25 06-12-2019 12:04 PM

Obviously, do it at your own risk, but now that you're also aware, I'm sure you'd drive calm and straight to the dealer anyway. I had to do a similar drive back to home with one tire corded. The corded tire ran with a few PSI higher pressure, even though the cold pressures were same, suggesting it heated up. As such, I'd definitely recommend driving slower, if at all possible. Granted, though, my tire was a Hoosier R7, not famous for its structural rigidity : )

Road machine 06-12-2019 12:13 PM

If one goes, it will only go flat, not come apart or anything. It is still a run flat correct, so you will make it to the dealership. It is very easy to have a tire wear to the cords especially on the inside where you don't see it. Don't sweat it and just drive prepared for it to go to zero air...which should do nothing but put you in limp mode.

petepd 06-12-2019 12:18 PM

Thanks. I feel a little better

petepd 06-12-2019 12:19 PM

Thank you

madrob2020 06-12-2019 01:40 PM

I just knew someone would call you a dummy to drive 20 miles! My ‘16 Z had same problems on BOTH front tires but I drove it to Springfield, Mo. to Discount Tires ‘cause NO ONE around here can do these tires. It was 120 miles 🤪 My Butt was puckered the whole way!!!

rjacobs 06-12-2019 01:51 PM

Shit I drove my 07 Z06 with the cord showing on the inside of the rears for who knows how long...

Spun in 3rd one day(that never happened) and when I got home I looked at them and went "oh shit, these have to be changed"...

That car was hard on inside edges of rear tires.

I would also get your alignment checked on the front of your car... The toe on mine was all jacked up from the factory and would have definitely eaten the insides of the front tires in short order.

Road machine 06-12-2019 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by madrob2020 (Post 1599570228)
I just knew someone would call you a dummy to drive 20 miles! My ‘16 Z had same problems on BOTH front tires but I drove it to Springfield, Mo. to Discount Tires ‘cause NO ONE around here can do these tires. It was 120 miles 🤪 My Butt was puckered the whole way!!!

Who called him anything???

SilverGhost 06-12-2019 05:59 PM

is your zp tire flat? The michelin man sez: [QUOTE] MICHELIN® Zero Pressure (ZP) tires provide run-flat technology that allows you to drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph with a flat tire [/QUOTE]

So continue to use till flat, reset your trip odometer and go up to 50 miles further. But no track days.

rjacobs 06-12-2019 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by SilverGhost (Post 1599571814)
is your zp tire flat? The michelin man sez:

MICHELIN® Zero Pressure (ZP) tires provide run-flat technology that allows you to drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph with a flat tire [/QUOTE]

So continue to use till flat, reset your trip odometer and go up to 50 miles further. But no track days.

There is a difference between "has a small hole due to a puncture" and "the entire tread came off/sidewall separated because I wore through all the layers of the tire when I drove it on the cords"...

ZP is good at the first... its terrible at the second...

Ruderegime 06-12-2019 11:36 PM

I would never take my car to the dealership for new tires.
Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP's at a dealership I wonder what that's going to run you? $$$$

bbbvettes.com 06-12-2019 11:58 PM

you'll be fine, i run all of mine down to the chords until they go flat, then you buy a new one... but they will drive fine, its a run flat. You probably have another 500 miles on them and you don't even know it :)

SilverGhost 06-13-2019 02:20 AM

I would never take my car to the dealership for new tires.
I just did this week. I asked if I could drop ship the tires from TireBuyer, service consultant said sure, then asked what I paid for them, He looked it up in his suppliers and he could match the TireBuyers price, both of which were less than Tire Rack. But, his local distributors were out of the AS 3+ (all those new Z06's being bought I guess) and the only supplier he had with the AS 3+ was on the west coast, and I would have to pay the freight. So the service consultant was happy, i tried to use his suppliers, but then got the Tires dropped shipped from Tirebuyer.

But competitive prices is not the only reason I use the dealer. The Chevy dealer has that $20,000 machine that easily mounts the ZP Z06 tires, which another poster likens to stretching hard rubber rings over a too small rim. My consultant said they have another vette customer who complained to him that he bought a set of AS 3+ from a dealer near VIR. Took that shop ALL DAY to mount those tires. i'd hate to watch the wrestling match that went on there. And I am happy, a GM-trained Vette Tech with over 20 years experience did the whole thing, the shop lets you specify your tech to use. And trained vette techs know ceramic brakes handling procedures.

They were also magicians as I mounted the AS 3+ on a second set of rims and they fit all four original tires/rims in the back of a Mazda CX-3!

madrob2020 06-13-2019 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Road machine (Post 1599571285)
Who called him anything???

My bad. Poor grammar. I should have said " I EXPECTED someone to call you a dummy for driving 20 miles" & then told my story.:D

Road machine 06-13-2019 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGhost (Post 1599574114)
I just did this week. I asked if I could drop ship the tires from TireBuyer, service consultant said sure, then asked what I paid for them, He looked it up in his suppliers and he could match the TireBuyers price, both of which were less than Tire Rack. But, his local distributors were out of the AS 3+ (all those new Z06's being bought I guess) and the only supplier he had with the AS 3+ was on the west coast, and I would have to pay the freight. So the service consultant was happy, i tried to use his suppliers, but then got the Tires dropped shipped from Tirebuyer.

But competitive prices is not the only reason I use the dealer. The Chevy dealer has that $20,000 machine that easily mounts the ZP Z06 tires, which another poster likens to stretching hard rubber rings over a too small rim. My consultant said they have another vette customer who complained to him that he bought a set of AS 3+ from a dealer near VIR. Took that shop ALL DAY to mount those tires. i'd hate to watch the wrestling match that went on there. And I am happy, a GM-trained Vette Tech with over 20 years experience did the whole thing, the shop lets you specify your tech to use. And trained vette techs know ceramic brakes handling procedures.

They were also magicians as I mounted the AS 3+ on a second set of rims and they fit all four original tires/rims in the back of a Mazda CX-3!

I agree with you on using the dealership to mount tires....lots of people complain about bent wheels, and there are actually two ways to bend a wheel. Hit something or bend it with the tire mounting machine. If you go to your discount tire guy....you get a discount tire installer....would you go to say a discount dentist or doctor or even a discount mechanic??? I wouldn't. Sometimes you get what you pay for. If you take your car to bendy wheel discount tires you get just that. :rofl:

JJLAI724 06-13-2019 04:45 PM

It should make it the 20 mile drive. I use Discount Tires as well like many others on the forum. I just get better service there vs the dealership.

Take the care and get a alignment afterwards.

CJ Willys 06-13-2019 05:06 PM

You'll be ok for 20 miles.

Ruderegime 06-13-2019 08:45 PM

I always buy all my tires at Discount Tire and they take care of me extremely well I never had an issue

Bill Dearborn 06-13-2019 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=SilverGhost;1599571814]is your zp tire flat? The michelin man sez:

MICHELIN® Zero Pressure (ZP) tires provide run-flat technology that allows you to drive up to 50 miles at 50 mph with a flat tire [/QUOTE]

That statement only applies to tires that can still be repaired if punctured. If they can't be repaired you could drive them until the tread wears through and the two sidewalls are separated from each other. That could be hundreds of miles.

The big difference between a ruined run flat and a ruined non run flat is you can still drive on the ruined run flat.

Bill

Greg00Coupe 06-13-2019 09:32 PM

I’ll spare you the details.......but it is safe to reasonably drive the car, been there done that several times, knowingly and unknowingly!