CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Alignment required? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4284579-alignment-required.html)

skrupski 06-12-2019 02:43 PM

Alignment required?

My 19 GS M7 is in for a rear main seal at 1300 miles. Rear cradle has to come out. Does GM recommend an alignment after reassembly? Dealer says not required as the pieces they take off are not adjustable. I thought I had read differently. Thanks for the input.

JerryU 06-12-2019 06:27 PM

^^^
Hmm, that assembly has all the adjustments. Odds of it going back exactly as it was would not appear 100% to me. Why not, it's cheap on their part and should through it in!

RichieRichZ06 06-12-2019 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by skrupski (Post 1599570631)
My 19 GS M7 is in for a rear main seal at 1300 miles. Rear cradle has to come out. Does GM recommend an alignment after reassembly? Dealer says not required as the pieces they take off are not adjustable. I thought I had read differently. Thanks for the input.

We always check the alignment and confirm it didn't change after a repair like that. It's usually very close or spot on if the assembly is taken out correctly, but it's well worth checking for the customer.

Avanti 06-12-2019 07:13 PM

Everything adjustable may be marked in advance, so they see no reason to bother. They wouldn't want to do anything not absolutely "required" even if sensible to do so. :crazy2:

Anyway, ALL the best! :thumbs:

Vetteman Jack 06-12-2019 10:44 PM

I think I wold want it at least checked to ensure nothing changed.

SilverGhost 06-13-2019 12:35 AM

You get one free alignment check on a new vette, to align to GM specs, which are politely referred to as "generous." nevertheless both my new c7's were out of spec from GM specs, and were fixed free of charge. You also get the before and after alignment spec with color coded before and after specs on the printout. Will be useful if you still have wear issues on the tires and need to show a different alignment shop where they are, and where you want the specs to be, like the dsc alignment specs. Request your freebie, and demand another given the disassembly/reassembly for the part that is being replaced, if you already did the first one.

Obe1 GS 06-13-2019 01:37 AM

Another vote to have the alignment performed. Even with out the repair chances are the alignment wasn't perfect from the factory.

Skid Row Joe 06-13-2019 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by SilverGhost (Post 1599573942)
You get one free alignment check on a new vette, to align to GM specs, which are politely referred to as "generous." nevertheless both my new c7's were out of spec from GM specs, and were fixed free of charge. You also get the before and after alignment spec with color coded before and after specs on the printout. Will be useful if you still have wear issues on the tires and need to show a different alignment shop where they are, and where you want the specs to be, like the dsc alignment specs. Request your freebie, and demand another given the disassembly/reassembly for the part that is being replaced, if you already did the first one.

This ^^^^.

Get that free 4 wheel alignment that comes with your new Corvette.

JerryU 06-13-2019 02:04 AM

^^
Joe, that is supposed to be done at around 500 miles. GM may not cover much after. And it is NOT automatic, suggest that anyone that want's it done (everyone should) just call at 400 to 500 miles (after the suspension has set) and say, cars feels like it's pulling slightly to the right (all cars pull to the right slightly due to road camber!) Lets the Dealer put that on his submission to have that covered by GM.

And suggest they do their homework and decide what you want. In my case at 450 miles (I did my own oil change at 500) I gave the service writer a spread sheet with the GM range min and max as well as what I wanted (within that spec range.) Good example was the rear camber on my Grand Sport is "within spec' from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. All C7 alignment specs for camber are +/- 0.6 degrees or a range of 1.2! You can dive a truck through those specs.

When my GS was put on the Hunter alignment machine the rears were set at -1.6 from the factory- "within spec!" (OK if I was Tracking.) In fact only one toe was "in the red' and out a small amount. The dealer tech rightfully could have taken 5 minutes, fixed that toe and said, "all's fine!" BUT I asked for -0.8 rear camber and all toes close to centerline (about zero.) Took him ~45 mnutes to make the adjustments. It's a bit iterative as change the toe and camber changes slightly and visa versa. He got it dead nuts as I watched, at first from the open door in the service bay, my normal MO. Gave his a nice tip which I told him he'd get for a good job!

I signed the free work order that said "customer says....." Service Writer only cared that I gave him a good rating on the call, which I got from the dealer and did give him a 10!

Skid Row Joe 06-13-2019 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1599574098)
Joe, that is supposed to be done at around 500 miles. GM may not cover after. And it is NOT automatic, suggest that anyone that want's it done (everyone should) just call at 400 to 500 miles (after the suspension has set) and say, cars feels like it's pulling slightly to the right (all cars pull to the right slightly due to road camber.) Lets the Dealer put that on his submission to have that covered by GM.

And suggest they do their homework and decide what you want. In my case at 450 miles (I did my own oil change at 500) I gave the service writer a spread sheet with the GM range min and max as well as what I wanted. Good example was the rear camber on my Grand Sport is "within spec' from -0.5 to -1.7 degrees. OK if I was tracking. All C7 alignment specs for camber are +/- 0.6 degrees or a range of 1.2! You can dive a truck through those specs.

When my GS was put on the Hunter alignment machine the rears were set at -1.6 from the factory- "within spec!" In fact only one toe was "in the red' and out a small amount. The dealer tech rightfully could have taken 5 minjutes, fixed that toe and said, "all's fine!" BUT I asked for -0.8 rear camber and all toes close to centerline (about zero.) Took him ~45 mnutes to make the adjustments. It's a bit iterative as change the toe and camber changes slightly and visa versa. He got it dead nuts as I watched, at first from the open door in the service bay, my normal MO. Gave his a nice tip which I told him he'd get for a good job!

That's great advice. Unfortunately, other than the free oil and oil filter changes, I totally missed my windows for free shit.

I was taking care of a friend 500 miles out-of-State for 5 months that had cancer, while my newly purchased C7 Corvette whiled away the months in my residential garage in Texas. I either drove my Class C diesel coach, or my '06 Mercedes Benz E320, CDI, turbodiesel sedan to and from Tennessee.

I also missed the Spring Mountain $1,000.00 dollar credit, as well as the free NCM entrance fee waiver. FWIW, I've already been to NCM FREE, 13 years
ago. I was passing through in my Class C diesel motorhome, when I saw the GM Plant on I-65, and I pulled off at the exit. Not exactly worth the price of admission. I was admitted free, as I was walking toward the door after they hit me with the ridiculous admission price. I would benefit from the Spring Mountain drivers training, but I'm not a wild ass, reckless street racer as you and many have admitted to being. So, no big loss either for me there.

My very first car was a brand new '74 Cadillac Sedan Deville I bought 45 years ago last month. I had my Dad give me a lift to the Cadillac dealer to pick it up. When I was handing over the $7,100.00 cashiers check to the sales mgr. my Dad requested they do a front end alignment on the new car because he explained that GM cars were known to be out of alignment from the factory.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e8e08cab73.jpg
Me and my brand new 1977 Corvette L82 in Omaha, Nebraska. $9,500.00 out-the-door.

The OP should press for a gratis 4 wheel alignment, as a Good Will gesture for the screwed up new '19 GS rearend. I certainly would. ..

Yaupon 06-13-2019 07:42 AM

My dealer indicated that the "free" alignment had to be completed before 6 months of ownership or 7,500 miles.

RichieRichZ06 06-13-2019 10:22 AM

Just to clarify, there is no "free alignment" period where any Corvette owner is automatically granted an alignment. GM will cover alignments only after 500 miles and before 7,500 miles with a valid concern that requires it to be checked. In order for GM to cover an alignment under warranty, before and after measurements have to be submitted with the repair order. If the before measurements do not show validation for a concern the customer had, there is no warranty alignment. If there was an issue with toe, caster or camber causing the customer's concern, GM will cover the time to make the necessary adjustments to correct the issue.

I am not sure where the free alignment idea came from, but we've had several customers regurgitate what they read on the forums, half of which is either wrong or just bad advise.

Yaupon 06-13-2019 10:39 AM

RRZ06, my bad, should have indicated "no charge" to the customer for the alignment. Service writer asked what the problem was when I had the car in for the alignment. I stated that my stingray pulled to the left [most roads have a slight crown to the right]. Service writer also checked the car's in service date to make sure it was less than 6 months, which it was. You are correct that a valid concern has to be present/stated regarding the alignment.

Boxcar 06-13-2019 10:47 AM

I'm no expert, but to the OP, I'd say get the alignment done, peace of mind and tires are not cheap. My 2 cents.

Skid Row Joe 06-13-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 (Post 1599575360)
Just to clarify, there is no "free alignment" period where any Corvette owner is automatically granted an alignment. GM will cover alignments only after 500 miles and before 7,500 miles with a valid concern that requires it to be checked. In order for GM to cover an alignment under warranty, before and after measurements have to be submitted with the repair order. If the before measurements do not show validation for a concern the customer had, there is no warranty alignment. If there was an issue with toe, caster or camber causing the customer's concern, GM will cover the time to make the necessary adjustments to correct the issue.

I am not sure where the free alignment idea came from, but we've had several customers regurgitate what they read on the forums, half of which is either wrong or just bad advise.

That's great advice too. ^^^^

But the fact remains that the alignment will be checked as you've stated, free of charge. The car may not need adjusting after the specs are recorded.

As for JerryU suggesting that you just tell the service writer that you're feeling the car's out of alignment? Well, if that's what it takes to hoodwink the Chev. dealer into checking it, then that's just the lies customers use to get it.

My new C7, didn't and doesn't evidence out of alignment symptoms while driving it. Is it in spec? Who knows. But I don't make up cr@p just to get a free alignment check either. That's low life IMO.

IAIA 07-26-2019 08:08 PM

:lurk:

JerryU 07-27-2019 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 1599575881)

As for JerryU suggesting that you just tell the service writer that you're feeling the car's out of alignment? Well, if that's what it takes to hoodwink the Chev. dealer into checking it, then that's just the lies customers use to get it.

My new C7, didn't and doesn't evidence out of alignment symptoms while driving it. Is it in spec? Who knows. But I don't make up cr@p just to get a free alignment check either. That's low life IMO.

It's NOT "hoodwinking the dealer!" There is NO FREE alignment because you ask for it. For them to get paid by GM they have to be checking for a problem! They are NOT going to lie to GM! You're just helping them avoid saying the customer asked to have it checked because they felt XYZ!

If you don't understand that just tell them you want a FREE alignment and see what they say. Some might and some won't as some members have posted!

You can wait to observe poor tire wear first but once started it's a bit too late! As I have said, allowed camber acceptable range is +/- 0.6 degrees of whatever your CenterPoint is for whatever you have base, Z51, Grand Sport etc. That is on the GM spec sheet I have posted a number of times BUT have given up! Some folks just roll their eyes when numbers are mentioned! IF YOU CAN'T READ AND UNDERSTAND that is a very wide acceptable range just roll your eyes! :crazy: :jester

DALE#3 07-27-2019 01:07 PM

If they say no,well unless you can get a print out if checked after repairs? I would go for a drive then return and say: Something don't feel right?Then you could be in...
Don't wait like i did.I believe my thread started this whole frenzy about Alignments Lately?Rarely was a alignment thread...WAS
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...this-tire.html

iclick 07-27-2019 09:23 PM

I didn't even try the free alignment song and dance even though I was at <7500 miles at the time, as I figured any aspect of the alignment that's within GM's broad specs will be left as is and likely unacceptable. I wanted a more deliberate street alignment to prolong tire life in all aspects and to my specs, so I just paid them $125 and got it done.

IAIA 07-29-2019 03:53 PM

I posted my alignment printout in another thread (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-dealer-2.html; post #50) but I am still seeking an answer. to this question:

Following the alignment, the car is driving great. Less jumpy. BUT the steering wheel is slightly to the right when I am going straight. Not due to road crown.
Can that be fixed without going through the whole alignment process again?