CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Last fuel fill up (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4285107-last-fuel-fill-up.html)

dave_2012_tt 06-14-2019 01:27 AM

Last fuel fill up

I have filled up my Corvette three times now. The first two times no issues. The last time the fuel from the pump kept cutting off. I had to try it 4 or 5 times and then finally I was able to fill the tanks. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Thanks
Dave

KenHorse 06-14-2019 01:34 AM

Common issue.

Fill S-L-O-W-L-Y

RiCorvette 06-14-2019 02:21 AM

Not so much wit the 'vette, but my ZL1 was a PIA; it all came down the Nozzle - some were no problem at all, some were intermittent, some required continual hand holding.

SilverGhost 06-14-2019 02:47 AM

Turn the handle upside down, but support it while filling.

JDSC8VETTE 06-14-2019 07:18 AM

It’s not the car it’s the pump. Some of the pumps are very sensitive and shut off at the slightest amount of back pressure.

Zjoe6 06-14-2019 07:20 AM

Just rotate the nozzle a little and it will stay on. Doesn't have to be all the way upside down.

Patman 06-14-2019 07:31 AM

I find that if I fill up before the half way mark, it never does this, it only does this when the tank is closer to empty.

LIStingray 06-14-2019 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by RiCorvette (Post 1599580599)
Not so much wit the 'vette, but my ZL1 was a PIA; it all came down the Nozzle - some were no problem at all, some were intermittent, some required continual hand holding.

This. We have the same problem with two of our Jeeps that also have the capless fills. There is one gas station, which is the closest to home, that is the most problematic - at anything more than about a gallon per minute (which is r-e-a-l-l-y slow), it shuts off. I have another three gas station about 1/2 mile further away that never once have caused any issues.
Just find a new gas station.

tcinla 06-14-2019 08:37 AM

I’ve found that situating the gas nozzle upside down resting g on the open filler door results in no cutoff during filling. The Costco attendant showed me that trick.

captain vette 06-14-2019 09:10 AM

There’s a couple of gas station that I try to avoid in my neighborhood for the same reason

justplainjim 06-14-2019 09:18 AM

As others have said, rotate the nozzle.

TXSteveF 06-14-2019 09:38 AM

Like others stated, simply rotate the handle up and fill away. I always have trouble if I don't. I've never understood peoples hesitation with doing this simple task, it will not hurt a thing. I've had numerous boats with this same issue. It's not that uncommon and it's easily remedied.

subieworx 06-14-2019 10:15 AM

You can rotate it, but it's easier to pull it out a little. Pull it out about 1/3 of the way and it will still rest in there without having to hold it and fill correctly.

TXSteveF 06-14-2019 10:20 AM

My fear with that is the more you have the nozzle out the further the gas will reach up the neck and the better chance it has to spill over. I may be wrong on this but that has always been my way of thinking. I want that nozzle as far down the neck as I can get it. Not sure if I'm correct but just my thoughts.

Patman 06-14-2019 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TXSteveF (Post 1599581765)
My fear with that is the more you have the nozzle out the further the gas will reach up the neck and the better chance it has to spill over. I may be wrong on this but that has always been my way of thinking. I want that nozzle as far down the neck as I can get it. Not sure if I'm correct but just my thoughts.

True, but if you start it out with the nozzle further out, and then stop the pump when you know you're above the halfway mark, and then push the nozzle in further, it won't cut off anymore and you'll avoid the potential of spilling. That's what I do on the rare occasions that I'm filling up the tank below the halfway mark.

Foosh 06-14-2019 10:35 AM

It's generally an issue with eco-friendly (vapor capture) pump nozzles, not the car. They require a lot of service, and some stations don't do it frequently enough, but certain nozzles are just finicky from day 1.

I almost always fill up at a close-by Shell that recently replaced all pumps with the latest and greatest. 9 out of 10 pumps at that station work great all the time, but there's one that always wants to shut-off on me. Contrast that with an older Shell station a bit further away, where I experience cut-off problems with approximately half their nozzles.

In more rural areas, where vapor capture nozzles are not required, I've never had a cut-off problem. It's also a common issue on many modern cars. My F-Type was about the same as the C7.

TXSteveF 06-14-2019 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 1599581799)
True, but if you start it out with the nozzle further out, and then stop the pump when you know you're above the halfway mark, and then push the nozzle in further, it won't cut off anymore and you'll avoid the potential of spilling. That's what I do on the rare occasions that I'm filling up the tank below the halfway mark.

True. And the info screen is really accurate with how many gallons you need so I always know within a gallon how much I'm getting. It's all good. I hate it when these threads end up in the "Corvette design flaw" spectrum, drives me crazy.

~Stingray 06-14-2019 11:46 AM

I haven't had any issues.

JerryU 06-14-2019 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zjoe6 (Post 1599580915)
Just rotate the nozzle a little and it will stay on. Doesn't have to be all the way upside down.

:iagree: In stations where the nozzle adjustment causes it to happen often (most,) I don't get frustrated with it tripping! I start by rotating the nozzle 90 degrees CCW and hold the lever. I can fill at max flow with no problem. It has always shuts off. I did that with my 2014 C7 Z51 and my now my Grand Sport.

One station just put in new pumps. I tried to let if fill without holding and it worked but that was set at half flow. Took too long! Might as well do what I have been doing, assume it will be a problem, start with the nozzle rotated 90 degrees and fill at full flow!

There are forum reports of it not shutting off when left upside down. Know some do that and it works BUT nozzles are not designed to do that and one day could be a problem. Would never go into a store while it filled! Remember those tanks in the station hold thousands of gallons! :jester

There was a forum post some time ago from a fellow who knew about servicing fuel nozzle and described how the stop mechanisms works, there are several types. He also showed why some would not work consistently upside down! Another older post where a fellow who put his upside down was fortunately there when it didn't shut off but was close enough to trip the lever with fuel just on his car, I'LL STICK WITH FULL FLOW AT 90 DEGREES CCW WITH MY HAND ON THE TRIGGER! :yesnod:

Frosty 06-14-2019 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by dave_2012_tt (Post 1599580555)
I have filled up my Corvette three times now. The first two times no issues. The last time the fuel from the pump kept cutting off. I had to try it 4 or 5 times and then finally I was able to fill the tanks. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Thanks
Dave

turning the fuel nozzle upside down also works for me- doesn't matter which gas station