CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Faint vibrating/rattling noise around 1600-1800 RPM (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4285276-faint-vibrating-rattling-noise-around-1600-1800-rpm.html)

Jordywilson 06-14-2019 02:43 PM

Faint rattling noise around 1600-1800 RPM

Hi everyone, new corvette owner here (2016 Stingray 2LT A8 w/ NPP exhaust, 3 months of B2B warranty left). I just purchased my first corvette about 2 weeks ago, and recently I started noticing this faint rattling noise around 1600-1800 RPM. At first I thought it only occurred right before upshifting to 2nd/3rd/4th gear with light acceleration, but then I started to notice that it was always around that RPM range. If I put it in manual mode while I'm driving and stay in that RPM range, the rattling noise is constant until I get out of that range.

Side note: Another issue I've noticed is that sometimes (not all the time) when I'm under pretty hard acceleration, the upshift from 3rd gear to 4th gear is a little rough and there's like a jerk to it. It's not huge, but it's definitely noticeable. I can usually replicate it by cruising and then applying at least like 60-70% throttle so the car downshifts into 3rd, and then I'll get that little jerk when it upshifts into 4th. It's only from 3rd-4th for some reason.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

17GSC7 06-14-2019 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jordywilson (Post 1599583230)
Hi everyone, new corvette owner here (2016 Stingray 2LT A8 w/ NPP exhaust, 3 months of B2B warranty left). I just purchased my first corvette about 2 weeks ago, and recently I started noticing this faint vibrating/rattling noise around 1600-1800 RPM. At first I thought it only occurred right before upshifting to 2nd/3rd/4th gear with light acceleration, but then I started to notice that it was always around that RPM range. The car has always been in V8 mode when it happens, and I also tested putting the car in park and revving up to that RPM range, and sure enough as soon as it hits ~1500 or 1600 RPM it'll keep making that noise until I either go past the 1800 RPM mark or drop it below 1500 RPM. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the exhaust system or something else.

Side note: Another issue I've noticed is that sometimes (not all the time) when I'm under pretty hard acceleration, the upshift from 3rd gear to 4th gear is a little rough and there's like a jerk to it. It's not huge, but it's definitely noticeable. I can usually replicate it by cruising and then applying at least like 60-70% throttle so the car downshifts into 3rd, and then I'll get that little jerk when it upshifts into 4th. It's only from 3rd-4th for some reason.

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

I have had this issue since new. What it is I think is one of the exhaust valves put there to cancel harsh sounds when the car is in v4 mode is malfunctioning.

The Carrot Cake Kid 06-14-2019 03:08 PM

There are a number of topics on this issue referred to as “warble” or “shudder”

Thunder22 06-14-2019 03:10 PM

What general area is the rattle coming from? inside the cabin? under the car? front/back?

Jordywilson 06-14-2019 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by The Carrot Cake Kid (Post 1599583386)
There are a number of topics on this issue referred to as “warble” or “shudder”

I looked those up, and the sound I’m experiencing isn’t a warble

Jordywilson 06-14-2019 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1599583395)
What general area is the rattle coming from? inside the cabin? under the car? front/back?

I just took it for a quick drive again to try to pinpoint it, and I believe it’s coming from the front. I also put it in park and revved it to that RPM with the hood up, and it’s definitely coming from the engine bay. Could it be one of the belts? It’s a rattling or rapid ticking sound.

Grand Slam 06-14-2019 04:34 PM

The (high-pressure) fuel pump often make a rapid ticking sound, especially at idle. Rattling at a specific rpm is often something such as vibrating heat shield under the car.

Thunder22 06-14-2019 05:48 PM

I think there was a thread on here recently where someone had a rattle/ticking and it turned out to be a damaged serpentine belt, you might want to run your hand around the belt and make sure that it's not damaged at all.

BELVIN20 06-14-2019 07:39 PM

Likely Belt idler pulley, several threads about idler pulley noise.

joemessman 06-15-2019 12:16 PM

^^^ Yes. It could be the belt tensioner pulley. If it is failing it can manifest different symptoms. Leaking, whining, and what you described. Vibrating rattling noise. :thumbs:

Jordywilson 06-15-2019 03:00 PM

Thinking it’s something to do with the belt as well. I have an appointment with the dealership on Tuesday, so we’ll see then.

Trihawk 06-19-2019 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jordywilson (Post 1599588443)
Thinking it’s something to do with the belt as well. I have an appointment with the dealership on Tuesday, so we’ll see then.

I had something that probably sounded just like this; it was the belt tensioner. It took TWO HOURS of driving around with a very patient service manager before the sound returned and he diagnosed it in an instant. Replaced under the GMPP warranty at 88,000 miles.

direct007 06-20-2019 12:47 AM

Belt Tensioner. My 2016 Z51 sounded like a rattle snake at the same RPM and you will also notice it happens in V4 mode, not V8 mode.
Shifting issue is most likely a software issue, that could be fixed with an update at the dealer.

Jordywilson 06-20-2019 11:29 AM

So I took it to the dealer, but they said it was normal... maybe I didn’t describe the sound correctly to you guys, but they said the sound I was hearing which is like a rapid ticking noise that gets faster as the RPMS climb are the lifters which is just part of the valvetrain noise. It’s not loud by any means, but I can definitely notice it with the windows down and no music or AC. Maybe I’m just being sensitive.

Thunder22 06-20-2019 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jordywilson (Post 1599615921)
So I took it to the dealer, but they said it was normal... maybe I didn’t describe the sound correctly to you guys, but they said the sound I was hearing which is like a rapid ticking noise that gets faster as the RPMS climb are the lifters which is just part of the valvetrain noise. It’s not loud by any means, but I can definitely notice it with the windows down and no music or AC. Maybe I’m just being sensitive.

Welcome to direct injection. the lifters make noise.

RichieRichZ06 06-20-2019 02:48 PM

As others have mentioned, a light flutter type noise around that RPM range is usually the belt tensioner failing. If you have more a defined rattle or almost a grinding noise, it's most likely the flex plate issue or a torque tube that is beginning to fail. Both of those failures tend to make the same noise. If the torque tube has been out for any related repairs recently, it could also be the crankshaft thrust bearing is wiped out from the torque tube being installed incorrectly. We've had several cars come to us from other dealers with recent repairs that required the torque tube to come out. Several of those did not have the specific procedure for installing the torque tube done correctly and it wiped out the thrust bearing in 1,000-5,000 miles. That requires engine main bearing replacement, crankshaft replacement or engine replacement depending on how quickly it's caught.

Did you get history on the car to see if there's been any recent drive line related repairs?

ValerieT 12-23-2021 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by direct007 (Post 1599614165)
Belt Tensioner. My 2016 Z51 sounded like a rattle snake at the same RPM and you will also notice it happens in V4 mode, not V8 mode.
Shifting issue is most likely a software issue, that could be fixed with an update at the dealer.

Did you get the rattling when driving in manual? I have the same issue at a certain RPM, but it only happens in automatic when I accelerate or decelerate slowly. Never happens in manual or in auto when I drive more aggressively. Never noticed if it's in V4 or V8.