CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Key fob in pocket keeps popping the rear hatch! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4285297-key-fob-in-pocket-keeps-popping-the-rear-hatch.html)

Labmannn 06-14-2019 03:25 PM

Key fob in pocket keeps popping the rear hatch!

Does anyone else have a problem with accidentally popping the rear hatch when you put your keys in your pocket? It happens to me almost everyday! I've come back to my car hours after being in a restaurant, store or from work and notice the hatch has been released. I have tried a few different key fob covers but none seem to work. Are there any key fob covers on the market that would prevent this from happening? If so, please provide. I was even thinking about dismantling the hatch if I had to. Thanks.

Nick B 06-14-2019 03:30 PM

I don't think that has ever happened to me. Do you have other things on your key ring that press against the buttons when they are in your pocket?

KenHorse 06-14-2019 03:41 PM

Get one of these to prevent pocket "FOBing" :D

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...65c69a4921.jpg

dvilin 06-14-2019 03:59 PM

Interesting problem thankfully have never experienced it.

IAIA 06-14-2019 04:08 PM

Never ever happened to me, ever. Never.
Did you try using your second fob?
Sorry to hear your woes.

Grand Slam 06-14-2019 04:10 PM

I've triggered actions by my car when leaning against objects (like the kitchen counter) but never just having my fob in my pocket. Hitting the hatch release button with ones knee when exiting the car is more likely.

pnsnkr 06-14-2019 04:14 PM

In general, I'm happy while driving the vette, but never...THAT...happy.

dave_2012_tt 06-14-2019 05:00 PM

never had this happen to me.

madrob2020 06-14-2019 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Grand Slam (Post 1599583707)
I've triggered actions by my car when leaning against objects (like the kitchen counter) but never just having my fob in my pocket. Hitting the hatch release button with ones knee when exiting the car is more likely.

Gotta go with Grand Slam here. The hatch release button is under the dash, left knee high, next to motion sensor de-arm button. If you have long legs or difficulty getting out of car (ain't old age a bear-maybe-but I don't know you:D), it's easy to trip it. It wouldn't just be the hatch button if it was your RKE button being pushed by items in your pocket.

jdk541 06-14-2019 05:31 PM

Geez.... How tight are your pants? :lol:

iclick 06-14-2019 06:03 PM

Two C7s and a C6, never had it happen.

KenHorse 06-14-2019 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdk541 (Post 1599584121)
Geez.... How tight are your pants? :lol:

Depends what he's reading?

SilverGhost 06-14-2019 06:21 PM

Cadillac apparently has an identical fob. So they have a leather slip on cover sold on ebay that you can push the buttons through the leather. But the leather covering desensitizes the buttons from accidental pushing. And the leather cover keeps the fob in perfect condition. $6.98 ea. better leather than my c7 seats, ha ha.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...93d851a0fc.jpg

ebay order

Gearhead Jim 06-14-2019 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599583579)
Get one of these to prevent pocket "FOBing" :D

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...65c69a4921.jpg

I had the same problem on our 2006, bought one of these and cut a thin-but stiff piece of plastic to fit inside the front and protect the buttons. Then I punched small holes over the buttons so I could activate them with a ballpoint pen. No problems in the last 13 years/150k miles on C6 & C7.

Kent1999 06-14-2019 07:57 PM

Used to happen to me. Here's how I fixed it for free:

1) Split the fob as if you were going to change the battery.
2) Place a small (like 1 sq centimeter) piece of Post-It note over the contact point for the hatch release button. (so it is between the contact on the logic board and the rubber "hatch" button on the fob case) The Post-It adhesive will keep it in the right place over the contact, but still allow clean removal if you ever change your mind.
3) Put fob back together and you're all done.

Problem solved. Extremely cheap and quick/easy to undo if you sell or change your mind.

Yes, the hatch release button on the *fob* no longer works, but between the hatch release button on the dash and the exterior hatch button by the license plate, I've never missed the button on the fob.

pnsnkr 06-14-2019 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kent1999 (Post 1599584790)

Yes, the hatch release button on the *fob* no longer works, but between the hatch release button on the dash and the exterior hatch button by the license plate, I've never missed the button on the fob.

I have yet to use the hatch release button on the fob. Owned the car for just over 16mos

Kent1999 06-14-2019 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by pnsnkr (Post 1599584863)
I have yet to use the hatch release button on the fob. Owned the car for just over 16mos

Indeed -- it is actually very rare for me to use ANY buttons on the fob. When I get out, I push the interior 'lock' button on the door before I close it (I don't like the auto-lock feature, so I disabled it).
So in reality, the fob goes in my pocket in the morning and typically never comes out until I come home at night.

fsvoboda 06-14-2019 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Labmannn (Post 1599583503)
Does anyone else have a problem with accidentally popping the rear hatch when you put your keys in your pocket? It happens to me almost everyday! I've come back to my car hours after being in a restaurant, store or from work and notice the hatch has been released. I have tried a few different key fob covers but none seem to work. Are there any key fob covers on the market that would prevent this from happening? If so, please provide. I was even thinking about dismantling the hatch if I had to. Thanks.

By the way, check to make sure that your knee isn't hitting the hatch release as you get out of the car. This is a known issue much discussed in Corvette Forum over the years.

If it really is the fob, try turning it over or carrying in a different pocket. I had a similar problem once with a different vehicle and solved it by carrying my fob in a vest pocket.

Good luck!

:cheers:

rrepp 06-14-2019 08:23 PM

I've tripped the trunk latch getting out of my car several times, but I've never had it pop from fob in pocket.

Matthewstorm 06-14-2019 11:30 PM

This has happened to me a few times. My pocket knife attached to keyring kept pushing the button.