CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Alky Meth kit single nozzle c6 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4286415-alky-meth-kit-single-nozzle-c6.html)

keith568 06-17-2019 11:00 PM

Alky Meth kit single nozzle c6

Was talking about getting this today, cost, how it works etc... Does anyone have this kit? and if so can you offer any advice, pro's cons? The way this company installes is into the windshield washer tank, tunes the car for meth.... not sure where I would purchase methanol near me but in any case, wondering how often or quick will I use this, and if I run out how will my car run when empty....how much horse power RWHP will I get?

donnyt 06-17-2019 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by keith568 (Post 1599601430)
Was talking about getting this today, cost, how it works etc... Does anyone have this kit? and if so can you offer any advice, pro's cons? The way this company installes is into the windshield washer tank, tunes the car for meth.... not sure where I would purchase methanol near me but in any case, wondering how often or quick will I use this, and if I run out how will my car run when empty....how much horse power RWHP will I get?

Alky Control is probably the most popular kit out there for our cars. I have it on mine and it's been great. I fill up my meth tank probably once a month to top off and you're only using it when your car goes into boost (3-4 psi usually to activate). If you ran out as a worst case scenario you can still drive your car just keep out of the throttle and you'd be fine. I gained 70whp from the meth with my setup: ECS1500, Cam, Headers, 6 speed.

bumpin96monte 06-18-2019 09:45 AM

I've had the kit about 3 years and love it, no complaints at all.

Pros - I like the clean look of using the windshield washer tank, no extra containers to mount etc. I also really liked the threaded connections (vs push lock hoses). Not really sure I can think of any cons (at least not that isnt already obvious - you've got something else to fill, lose WW, etc).

It takes a long time to go through too. You only use it when in boost over the trigger level. On a street car with decent power (ie likely 600+ whp with meth), you're not in boost more than a few seconds before you're well beyond the speed limit anyways, so the percentage of 'on' time is very low, it's not like filling the gas tank. But even at track days (I do some 1/2 mile events), I've never used even 1/2 the washer tank in one event.

I do refill often though, I top off after each drive, but it's also not my daily driver. That helps me not to forget or run it too low (since you cant see below the top half foot of fill tube) and it's a way to check for leaks (as I have to open the hood to pull off the battery tender to drive it next, so i just look to see if can still see fluid in the tube).

As far as power, I dont have apples to apples as I changed blower pullies at the same time. I picked up about 60 whp between the two (and only went down 1 step / 0.2" on pulley, could've definitely went smaller).

jayyyw 06-25-2019 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte (Post 1599602872)
I've had the kit about 3 years and love it, no complaints at all.

Pros - I like the clean look of using the windshield washer tank, no extra containers to mount etc. I also really liked the threaded connections (vs push lock hoses). Not really sure I can think of any cons (at least not that isnt already obvious - you've got something else to fill, lose WW, etc).

It takes a long time to go through too. You only use it when in boost over the trigger level. On a street car with decent power (ie likely 600+ whp with meth), you're not in boost more than a few seconds before you're well beyond the speed limit anyways, so the percentage of 'on' time is very low, it's not like filling the gas tank. But even at track days (I do some 1/2 mile events), I've never used even 1/2 the washer tank in one event.

I do refill often though, I top off after each drive, but it's also not my daily driver. That helps me not to forget or run it too low (since you cant see below the top half foot of fill tube) and it's a way to check for leaks (as I have to open the hood to pull off the battery tender to drive it next, so i just look to see if can still see fluid in the tube).

As far as power, I dont have apples to apples as I changed blower pullies at the same time. I picked up about 60 whp between the two (and only went down 1 step / 0.2" on pulley, could've definitely went smaller).

The washer fluid tank has a low level indicator

bumpin96monte 06-25-2019 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1599641737)
The washer fluid tank has a low level indicator

Sure, but why risk running it that low? Last thing I want is to make the first pull of the night and have the light come on. Now I've got to figure out if I want to make the 1.5+ hour round trip home to fill it or to just stop running it for the night. Seems easily avoidable by taking 30 seconds each time I get home to top it off so I know it won't run out.

schpenxel 06-25-2019 12:53 PM

Nothing wrong with filling it up often.. but as you've already said, a tank lasts a LONG time if there aren't any leaks.

I always wonder how much is used vs. how much just evaporates if the car isn't being driven a lot

bumpin96monte 06-25-2019 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by schpenxel (Post 1599643316)
I always wonder how much is used vs. how much just evaporates if the car isn't being driven a lot

It doesnt seem to evaporate that quick on mine with the alky cap. I try to always top it off when I get home just in case it leaks (since you wouldn't see a leak with how fast it evaporates) as it's an easy check before I drive it the next time to see if I can still see it. I've never come back to it down more than a couple inches down the fill neck and that's even with sitting for about 3 months through the dead of summer.

VVVROOMTX 07-03-2019 10:12 AM

I have one on my car and its great! Not sure how much power it added since im on E85 but i added it before Tx2k as a safety precaution for extra cooling and fuel.

speedz06 07-04-2019 04:21 PM

Hey OP what are you running? Did you buy the kit?
I have the kit on my DD eforce Z06 (when it runs, but I also have a kit on my lightning...which always runs) but unlike the others I use allot of meth because I pull long mountains on the interstate to and from work. Much of the time the low boost light is on or flickering and I also pull some 10 car passes like goggles pizanno.

I would say that you should make sure to get the right kit for your application. I'm told they all work but the controler signal can be referenced in different ways.
One reason I use more meth is that I have a boost referenced kit on my eforce so it is sensitive and touchy. I should have had the kit that runs off of the MAF signal.
The e force is low boost compared to some and reaches the turn on point at low rpm's along with the small range of PSI quickly. I dont know but I bet that the MAF kit is more progressive for a PD blower setup like mine.

I have this setup for 3 years now and have 50k miles.
I do want to change from running straight meth to about 25% water and also make sure my car's tune is not dependent upon the meth. I'm pretty sure it is now. I worry that the meth cannot reach each cylinder evenly so there is always a chance of leaning out in one or more cylinders if dependent upon meth...just my idea, nothing to back it up.

The last time my meth stopped working I heard a loud pop from the exhaust and saw my AFR's touch up to 16:1 just before starting up a long steep grade. I got out of it right away. The pump stopped working and I am told that this is normal so be prepared to change the pump periodically. I changed the pump and...nothing but a whine but no spray....Now I am Mr. parts changer. So, I called Julio....again.

Julio has been so helpful, Good luck finding any company that will help like he does and any company owner that knows their product like he does.
I dont know how this guy finds the time and patience to deal with people like me. One of the settings on a screw inside the controller was not in the right position, not supplying enough voltage to the pump (I dont know how it was working before that though, but I was using very little meth, AFR's moved around allot but now I use much more and have more stable AFR's) and Julio worked with me until it was right and the system is working again. He did have to write the instructions in big capitol letters until I got the point...THE SETTING IS TOOOO LOWWWW! Got it.
So, it is not the kit, really, but the service. The kit is well made too. I would NEVER go back to the kits with push on easy melt tubing.

jimbob8915 07-07-2019 06:04 PM

Where are your nozzles installed in a PD supercharger?

Spaceme1117 07-22-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jimbob8915 (Post 1599712431)
Where are your nozzles installed in a PD supercharger?

Interested in this also. I just had my E-force powered Grand Sport dyno tuned this past Saturday when the temps and humidity were equivalent to just what the conditions are inside of Satan's asshole. IAT's on the dyno were approaching 170 F.

Would like to run methanol injection not for more power but to bring the IAT's down and have consistent power.

Anyone have pictures showing an install of an Alky Control kit on a PD blower such as the E-force or Heartbeat?

When I was having my car dyno'ed, there was a new ZL1 Camaro there that had a Whipple supercharger installed running meth injection and it looked like the injection nozzle was in the tube between the air filter and throttle body. (BTW, that car was/is a monster and was putting down 880 whp!)

VVVROOMTX 07-22-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 (Post 1599810396)
Interested in this also. I just had my E-force powered Grand Sport dyno tuned this past Saturday when the temps and humidity were equivalent to just what the conditions are inside of Satan's asshole. IAT's on the dyno were approaching 170 F.

Would like to run methanol injection not for more power but to bring the IAT's down and have consistent power.

Anyone have pictures showing an install of an Alky Control kit on a PD blower such as the E-force or Heartbeat?

When I was having my car dyno'ed, there was a new ZL1 Camaro there that had a Whipple supercharger installed running meth injection and it looked like the injection nozzle was in the tube between the air filter and throttle body. (BTW, that car was/is a monster and was putting down 880 whp!)

that's going to be the easiest spot to stick the nozzles. Any where else is going to be more expensive and complicated to set up. If you look at RPM Motorsports, all their meth nozzles are locating in the intake elbow or before the TB.

If you have a 5th gen with a ZL1 or CTSV2 style lid you can trill and tap spots to put nozzles in that easy. Check out Prometh for that setup.