CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Southwest (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southwest-44/)
-   -   Contemplating a move to Houston (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/southwest/4287742-contemplating-a-move-to-houston.html)

Josh M 06-21-2019 05:38 PM

Contemplating a move to Houston

Job possibility down there. Will be flying in next Friday I believe to go over some finer details. The office is downtown. I was looking kind of in the Midtown area. I'm trying to find an area thats fairly close so I don't have to drive and looking to rent at least the 1st year to decide how I like it. Any suggestions on areas or places to look? 2 parking spots in a covered garage or private is a must. Also if anyone is around next Friday I will probably be around unless they fly me out super early!

old motorhead 06-22-2019 05:41 PM

I'm currently a country boy living West of Houston. I did work around the Galleria area after college. One thing to take to heart.....if you work inside the loop (610), your home needs to be located inside the loop. Much less time spent commuting that way. Good luck with the new job. If you need spots to exercise your Vette on the weekends, look me up. Some really nice roads West of town whether you like long straights or curves.

Josh M 06-23-2019 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by old motorhead (Post 1599628820)
I'm currently a country boy living West of Houston. I did work around the Galleria area after college. One thing to take to heart.....if you work inside the loop (610), your home needs to be located inside the loop. Much less time spent commuting that way. Good luck with the new job. If you need spots to exercise your Vette on the weekends, look me up. Some really nice roads West of town whether you like long straights or curves.

Thank you! This job would definitely be inside the loop I believe.

Josh M 06-24-2019 03:18 PM

Spoke with the company and they said popular places employees live is Midtown, Museum district and something I think called Heritage something or other?

DeweyIsgod 06-25-2019 11:33 AM

It'll feel like the you're going to die from the heat coming from Wisconsin. But Houstonian's don't go outside in the summer...we just take our air conditioned cars from air conditioned building to air conditioned building. Your body will take about 3 years for your blood to thin and acclimate.

Midtown is closest but places with 2 parking spots or a private garage will get expensive very fast. You might also consider the Height's area or Washington Ave areas to still be convenient to downtown. It would be helpful to know your family situation (budget/spouse/kids/pets) to be able to refine suggestions a bit.

Josh M 06-25-2019 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeweyIsgod (Post 1599642750)
It'll feel like the you're going to die from the heat coming from Wisconsin. But Houstonian's don't go outside in the summer...we just take our air conditioned cars from air conditioned building to air conditioned building. Your body will take about 3 years for your blood to thin and acclimate.

Midtown is closest but places with 2 parking spots or a private garage will get expensive very fast. You might also consider the Height's area or Washington Ave areas to still be convenient to downtown. It would be helpful to know your family situation (budget/spouse/kids/pets) to be able to refine suggestions a bit.

I am single with no kids or pets. I have 3 vehicles, 2 of which I would like to park in a garage. The other can sit on the street. Budget is I would like in the 1500-2000 range. I'm not set on that, but thats what I've sort of seen from poking around as being in a range I can get something fairly solid. If I can get cheaper than that for a nice place in a nice area I'm 100% for that. If I need to spend a little more I'm fine.

B-Myster 06-26-2019 01:53 PM

You might look for something near Woodway or Memorial drive either inside the loop or outside in the Galleria area. There are townhomes with 2 car garages that you can rent. I've lived in the Galleria area near Woodway for a while and worked downtown for several years. It's an easy 15-20 minute drive down Memorial to downtown from the Galleria area.

You can also look along Allen Parkway which runs parallel to Memorial drive from Shepherd Drive to downtown.

B-17/B-25 CC 06-28-2019 09:35 AM

Make sure you ask about flooding wherever you think you might want to live. Some areas along Buffalo Bayou and other “ditches” can easily flood in our heavy Houston rains (not necessarily hurricanes, just heavy rains). I can’t imagine what it would be like trying to move 3 vehicles in a quick hurry if you had to.