CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes for Sale/Wanted (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted-58/)
-   -   FS: Bob Wingate's 1967 corvette for sale (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-for-sale-wanted/4289813-bob-wingates-1967-corvette-for-sale.html)

silverado69vette 06-27-2019 09:49 PM

Bob Wingate's 1967 corvette for sale

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Chevro...%7C1000%7C2500 What a beautiful car

randy ransome 06-27-2019 10:42 PM

At that price...not really for sale.

:flag:

JohnFromVentura 06-28-2019 03:01 AM

Perhaps, someone can post a good article on Bob Wingate. He was a fast moving car salesman in Covina CA. He brought new 67's in and immediately installed 3 taillights. He might have been responsible for this fad? Unfortunately, he ran into trouble with the law for selling owners cars and never paying them! Spent a few years in prison. Hope someone can add clarity to this!

68hemi 06-28-2019 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by JohnFromVentura (Post 1599659286)
Perhaps, someone can post a good article on Bob Wingate. He was a fast moving car salesman in Covina CA. He brought new 67's in and immediately installed 3 taillights. He might have been responsible for this fad? Unfortunately, he ran into trouble with the law for selling owners cars and never paying them! Spent a few years in prison. Hope someone can add clarity to this!

Yes, we should celebrate thieves by paying 1 1/2 million dollars for something they previously owned. Buy some of OJs stuff too.

Crunch527 06-28-2019 01:55 PM

nothing special here...

BAD-L88 06-28-2019 03:12 PM

Would be interesting to see what it would bring at a Pebble Beach or Scottsdale type auction. The original owner does not matter, but if it is a one-off fro the factory like that it is something special. My guess is $200,000 to $300,000.

corvettewill 06-28-2019 03:16 PM

Photo of Bob Wingate of Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, Ca. For 10 yrs Bob was the #1 salesman in the nation
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...4474e309f7.jpg

Midyrman 06-28-2019 06:30 PM

Wingates ‘67

For a piece of Corvette history, it’s worth what someone is willing to pay. Clearly that (capable) someone must highly value the history associated with the Dealership, Wingate and the car itself.

c6rod 06-28-2019 09:35 PM

Wingates 67

I lived in LA in late 1967 and was waiting for the new 68 Corvettes to come out so that I could buy one. When I saw my first one and sat in it I looked at Bob and said get me a 67. He replied, none left. Everybody hated the 68's and wanted a new 67. He found me one and I picked it up before he put the 3 tail lights into it. He was a typical car salesman at the time. I didn't know he spent time in jail for defrauding customers.

3JsVette 06-28-2019 10:23 PM

It's been on ebay a few times recently. I guess no too much interest at that price.

Midyrman 06-28-2019 10:46 PM

Wingate

Originally Posted by c6rod (Post 1599664377)
I lived in LA in late 1967 and was waiting for the new 68 Corvettes to come out so that I could buy one. When I saw my first one and sat in it I looked at Bob and said get me a 67. He replied, none left. Everybody hated the 68's and wanted a new 67. He found me one and I picked it up before he put the 3 tail lights into it. He was a typical car salesman at the time. I didn't know he spent time in jail for defrauding customers.

Great story! I wonder how many customers said the same thing about the ‘68.

JohnFromVentura 06-29-2019 02:10 AM

The woman that I bought my 67 from in 1972 bought it new from Harry Mann Chevrolet in Los Angeles in Dec 1967, after the Sharks came out. It was a base 300 coupe with only PW and AM-FM ... she said that she paid $3950 out the door. My son has the car now including the book with the POP plate.

68hemi 06-29-2019 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by BAD-L88 (Post 1599662428)
Would be interesting to see what it would bring at a Pebble Beach or Scottsdale type auction. The original owner does not matter, but if it is a one-off fro the factory like that it is something special. My guess is $200,000 to $300,000.

They seem to be taunting the original owner for it’s value so they seem to think it adds value. My point is that given his criminal past it detracts from the value just as we should not celebrate Al Capone’s or Hitler’s vehicles. How much value do you suppose a holcost victim would assign to Hitler’s car? From the sound of it, it was simply a gift from Chevy for his sales achievements. We don’t even know from this ad how the car was/is equipped. It appears to be a 427/435 h.p. but who knows what has been changed over the years? Is it the original engine? Not the most desirable color.

rayvaflav 07-01-2019 09:42 AM

Great steering wheel, though.

Ray

jimgessner 07-01-2019 11:11 AM

The story on the car is here http://67fso.com

Bob was inducted into the BLOOMINGTON GOLD GREAT HALL in 2011.

“Corvette’s #1 Salesman”

By January 1, 1970, Chevrolet recognized Bob Wingate as the Top Corvette Salesman in the United States. He received the “Legion of Leaders” award for selling over 150 cars per year, a good portion of which were Corvettes. Although Wingate credits his success to Chevrolet, Joe
Pike, Zora Duntov and others,

It was Bob himself who was the guy on the ground promoting Corvette in the early days. Wingate was ''THE West Coast Pioneer at the grass roots level where the action was''

Starting in 1956 as a salesman for Clippinger Chevrolet, in California, Wingate sold Corvettes and got involved in all kinds of Corvette activities from 1958-1974. In 1959, he created his first Corvette club at Clippinger and in 1966 was one of the founding fathers and first President of Western States Corvette Council, [WSCC]. Many Clubs from Canada to Mexico were created with Wingate’s guidance.

Autocross, slalom and road racing events were also a big part of the West Coast Corvette culture. Bob was a leader who helped mold the national SCCA rules for autocross and slalom racing. No wonder Southern California Corvette sales skyrocketed. The guy was everywhere promoting Corvette. Wingate says, “It didn’t hurt that I got full support from my dealership and became good friends with Joe Pike and Zora Duntov.” But Wingate’s positive attitude was the key to sales.

By the mid-1970’s, Bob Wingate’s name drifted east and was THE name in “old” Corvettes along with Buxbaum in Chicago and Wasserman in New Jersey. We’d never met them, but by their names commonly seen in magazine ads, everyone knew, “they must be somebody really important”.

Turns out, they really were important!

BOB also found and sold the three 1968 L-88 Corvettes to the JIM GARNER AIR RACING TEAM from Gledhill Chevrolet. In these Hi Performance days Wingate sold many Camaro's, Corvairs, and passenger cars with high performance engines and transmissions. THIS WAS the TIME of ''GLORY YEARS OF HEARTBEAT OF CHEVROLET in AMERICA'', and Bob was a big person in the history of the Corvette and Chevrolet

68hemi 07-01-2019 02:59 PM

For Chevrolet it was simply recognition of his sales abilities, all about the money. You can bet when he went to jail Chevy’s association with him would have ceased.

The car itself MAY be great but his ownership of it should NOT be celebrated or add any value to it.

Thunder80 07-01-2019 03:38 PM

I agree with you ( 68hemi ) - It ( the 67' ) was a gift for selling, and anything more is just added. True a part of history, but not great history. I bought and still have a 74' Nova Bob sold to his neighbor. Has a signed owners book. Wonder if he signed all he sold. It's a nice car, special, colored history, price is , well UP THERE. Best for your sale. WAY OUT OF MY RANGE
Years ago, there was a mag. article on him, his sales and the car. When I bought the Nova, he was into Novas at the time.

Thunder80 07-01-2019 03:41 PM

I was waiting for the new 68's to come out. When they did, I did not like them, bought a used 67' Coupe, small block,4 speed,AM/FM, speed warning. Great Vet.

Midyrman 07-01-2019 05:20 PM

Days of Past

Originally Posted by jimgessner (Post 1599676609)
The story on the car is here http://67fso.com

Bob was inducted into the BLOOMINGTON GOLD GREAT HALL in 2011.

“Corvette’s #1 Salesman”

By January 1, 1970, Chevrolet recognized Bob Wingate as the Top Corvette Salesman in the United States. He received the “Legion of Leaders” award for selling over 150 cars per year, a good portion of which were Corvettes. Although Wingate credits his success to Chevrolet, Joe
Pike, Zora Duntov and others,

It was Bob himself who was the guy on the ground promoting Corvette in the early days. Wingate was ''THE West Coast Pioneer at the grass roots level where the action was''

Starting in 1956 as a salesman for Clippinger Chevrolet, in California, Wingate sold Corvettes and got involved in all kinds of Corvette activities from 1958-1974. In 1959, he created his first Corvette club at Clippinger and in 1966 was one of the founding fathers and first President of Western States Corvette Council, [WSCC]. Many Clubs from Canada to Mexico were created with Wingate’s guidance.

Autocross, slalom and road racing events were also a big part of the West Coast Corvette culture. Bob was a leader who helped mold the national SCCA rules for autocross and slalom racing. No wonder Southern California Corvette sales skyrocketed. The guy was everywhere promoting Corvette. Wingate says, “It didn’t hurt that I got full support from my dealership and became good friends with Joe Pike and Zora Duntov.” But Wingate’s positive attitude was the key to sales.

By the mid-1970’s, Bob Wingate’s name drifted east and was THE name in “old” Corvettes along with Buxbaum in Chicago and Wasserman in New Jersey. We’d never met them, but by their names commonly seen in magazine ads, everyone knew, “they must be somebody really important”.

Turns out, they really were important!

BOB also found and sold the three 1968 L-88 Corvettes to the JIM GARNER AIR RACING TEAM from Gledhill Chevrolet. In these Hi Performance days Wingate sold many Camaro's, Corvairs, and passenger cars with high performance engines and transmissions. THIS WAS the TIME of ''GLORY YEARS OF HEARTBEAT OF CHEVROLET in AMERICA'', and Bob was a big person in the history of the Corvette and Chevrolet

Thanks Jim!

Regardless of whether we like, dislike, celebrate or dishonor......knowing the facts as best we can acquire them is always important. I’d heard of Bob and his Corvette previously but did not know the extent that he influenced the Corvette world during the day or thereafter.

Dan Hampton 07-01-2019 09:17 PM

Not exactly a Steve McQueen provenance......