CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Checking up on the dealer brake fluid recommendation (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4290020-checking-up-on-the-dealer-brake-fluid-recommendation.html)

tcinla 06-28-2019 02:10 PM

Checking up on the dealer brake fluid recommendation

On my last visit, the dealer recommended changing the brake fluid. I declined because A) I'm at 24k miles and the service schedule doesn't indicate it and B) I had new rotors, pads and DOT 4 (Motul RBF 660) put in around 10K miles ago. Since i'm all street driving (daily commute and some weekend fun), when do I need to think about new fluid and should I go back to OEM fluid or stay with the DOT 4)

juanvaldez 06-28-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1599662059)
On my last visit, the dealer recommended changing the brake fluid. I declined because A) I'm at 24k miles and the service schedule doesn't indicate it and B) I had new rotors, pads and DOT 4 (Motul RBF 660) put in around 10K miles ago. Since i'm all street driving (daily commute and some weekend fun), when do I need to think about new fluid and should I go back to OEM fluid or stay with the DOT 4)

I would probably do new fluid in 2 or 3 years. Stay with DOT 4.

Bill Dearborn 06-28-2019 02:20 PM

A trusted source told me that GM specifies DOT3 fluid for the street since DOT4 fluid will hold more moisture. Yes, DOT4 has a higher wet boiling point but it still holds more moisture. That moisture can corrode various parts in the brake system. Given the general lack of brake fluid maintenance by the normal car owner it makes sense they would want to keep the system from having problems as long as possible. As an aside: An interesting thing is Ford DOT3 brake fluid. It is rated at a 500 degree F dry boiling point which is above what some DOT4s achieve.

Bill

JMII 06-28-2019 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1599662059)
On my last visit, the dealer recommended changing the brake fluid. I declined because A) I'm at 24k miles and the service schedule doesn't indicate it

Amazingly (at least for my 14) the brake fluid replacement per the service schedule is at 150K or 10 years whichever comes first.

I track my car so the DOT4 racing fluid gets bleed out a little (a caliper full?) at a time between several events. Thus after about 1 year I've completely flushed the entire system. I wouldn't let DOT4 fluid go any longer then 2 years. They make moisture testers for brake fluid - might best to just test and when its says the moisture content is too high then replace it.

redman76 06-28-2019 04:06 PM

I'd just go back to DOT3 if you are not tracking car because of the moisture issue. Why was DOT4 put in?

tcinla 06-28-2019 09:42 PM

I put it in not knowing about the moisture issue. Now I know. Thanks!

JJoeG 06-28-2019 11:00 PM

I have searched but can't find any data or articles indicating DOT 4 holds more moisture. Could you share where that data is coming from?

Thanks

Kracka 06-30-2019 04:17 PM

DOT4 absorbs moisture more quickly which is why it needs to be flushed more frequently than DOT3. This is why GM calls for DOT3 on the street but DOT4 on the track.

buckeye4 07-01-2019 12:49 AM

All 2019 Corvettes now come with DOT 4 brake fluid from the factory. Also called out in the owners manual.

Detroit_Bill 07-01-2019 12:15 PM

?

You don’t consider what you are doing changing the fluid do you? The goal is to remove moisture from the fluid when you never do?

Originally Posted by JMII (Post 1599662281)
Amazingly (at least for my 14) the brake fluid replacement per the service schedule is at 150K or 10 years whichever comes first.

I track my car so the DOT4 racing fluid gets bleed out a little (a caliper full?) at a time between several events. Thus after about 1 year I've completely flushed the entire system. I wouldn't let DOT4 fluid go any longer then 2 years. They make moisture testers for brake fluid - might best to just test and when its says the moisture content is too high then replace it.

JMII 07-01-2019 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill (Post 1599677071)
You don’t consider what you are doing changing the fluid do you? The goal is to remove moisture from the fluid when you never do?

I am changing the fluid, just not all at once. This is likely not ideal for a street driven car but a common routine in tracked cars.

Detroit_Bill 07-01-2019 02:02 PM

I guess it work for you.

The goal is to remove all moisture from the fluid. As you know (but others may not) under track use under extreme heat the water can turn to steam which is compressible and then you have no brakes, hello WALL.
There is moisture in your fluid. If you take some fluid out and add more there is still moisture in your fluid, a very dangerous situation. Do that for a couple years and your fluid has a lot of moisture in it.

I have a power bleeder (motive $40), I just use it to pressurize the system and keep topping it off but it is pretty easy to do by yourself. I would change the fluid once a year just to be sure, not expensive and not difficult.

Originally Posted by JMII (Post 1599677201)
I am changing the fluid, just not all at once. This is likely not ideal for a street driven car but a common routine in tracked cars.

dfettero 07-01-2019 02:11 PM

DOT4 is now factory fill on 2019s

JMII 07-01-2019 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Detroit_Bill (Post 1599677777)
I have a power bleeder (motive $40), I just use it to pressurize the system and keep topping it off but it is pretty easy to do by yourself. I would change the fluid once a year just to be sure, not expensive and not difficult.

That is how I am doing it as well - push out old fluid and replace with new stuff. I normally go thru two 500ml bottles, but I am not sure if this represents the entire volume of fluid in the system.

redman76 07-01-2019 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by JMII (Post 1599678033)
That is how I am doing it as well - push out old fluid and replace with new stuff. I normally go thru two 500ml bottles, but I am not sure if this represents the entire volume of fluid in the system.

That's what I do too. I push a half bottle per wheel,

Detroit_Bill 07-01-2019 06:56 PM

Your changing the fluid

If if you are doing that you are changing the fluid. I thought you were doing one squirt per caliper.

My bad, just trying to help.

Originally Posted by redman76 (Post 1599678760)
That's what I do too. I push a half bottle per wheel,

wonka12_98 07-07-2019 08:11 PM

My understanding with regular DOT fluid was it should be changed out every 3 years regardless of how few miles.The reasoning was to drain the moisture in the system to prevent corrosion.This may not be the recommendation for the Corvette but it has been recommended by other cars I've owned. Has this now changed?

JMII 07-08-2019 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by wonka12_98 (Post 1599713073)
My understanding with regular DOT fluid was it should be changed out every 3 years regardless of how few miles.The reasoning was to drain the moisture in the system to prevent corrosion.This may not be the recommendation for the Corvette but it has been recommended by other cars I've owned. Has this now changed?

Seems OEMs are all over the place with their recommendations...

https://www.cars.com/articles/how-of...1420680336417/

Marcho Polo 07-08-2019 10:11 PM

Sort of related but what is shelf life of unopened dot 4? I have a liter that has been in the garage for a year and a half or so, I never broke the seal. Just wondering if I should use this or not.

I understand if it has been opened that you should not use it after a year or two?

dfettero 07-10-2019 08:59 AM

DOT 4 is standard on 2019s

Dot 4 is standard on 2019s

Originally Posted by redman76 (Post 1599662729)
I'd just go back to DOT3 if you are not tracking car because of the moisture issue. Why was DOT4 put in?