CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Bushing replacement (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4290073-bushing-replacement.html)

STL Mike 06-28-2019 05:07 PM

Bushing replacement

I'd like to refresh the bushings on my 09 Z this winter and update the shocks with some DRM Bilsteins. I'll order the shocks now as I understand they're long lead items.

The car is a street car with 64k on the clock. Can anyone recommend where to get OEM replacements? I'm thinking new sway bar end links, sway bar bushings, control arm bushings,new lower control arms, etc....

Anyone know what suspension bushings typically wears out first?

Thx,
Mike

meanjoe 06-28-2019 05:11 PM

Usually, it'll be either my Margarita or the Pina Colada. :rofl:

STL Mike 06-28-2019 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by meanjoe (Post 1599663044)
Usually, it'll be either my Margarita or the Pina Colada. :rofl:

Thanks! Edited

MTPZ06 06-28-2019 08:34 PM

Upper control arm bushings tend to distort first, and sway bar end links are a common wear item.

jimbob8915 06-28-2019 09:41 PM

My sway bar end links were replaced at about 45k miles as they were absolutely shot. I had a sound in my rear end like a wood boat would creek.

Spacewalker 06-28-2019 10:16 PM

I like the moog greaseable sway bar endlinks. There is a thread on here to inspect bushings on upper control arms, but I'd take a close look at ball joints and tie rod ends if you are having any sloppiness.

I recently raised my car about 1/2 inch all the way around after putting on DRMs with their shock mounts. Made a world of difference.

Dirk Miller 06-28-2019 10:35 PM

I agree as reported here that it is mainly the upper control arms. I had an '08 and at about 35K miles I put on new OEM upper control arms on the front and honestly I could not believe how much better the car handled. It really felt like a new car! I purchased these through GMDirect or one of the other OEM discount houses. Your idea of installing DRM Biltsteins is also a great idea. I now own an '06 ZO6 that I track with Hoosiers, G2 coil overs, Delrin bushings in the control arms and Strano sway bars for the track. Yet it is a double duty car. On the streets I drive on Michelin tires and find it very stiff for daily driving. Just my opinion, but If you decide to go with DRM Billsteins and new OEM control arms, you will feel a big difference; yet still it will be very enjoyable for D.D. Stay at it!

STL Mike 06-28-2019 11:18 PM

Are the upper control arm bushings replaceable or do I need to buy a new control arm.

I like the Moog stuff.

Dirk Miller 06-29-2019 09:36 AM

You can buy a set of delrin and replace them all. Or through say GMpartsdirect or one of the other discount websites, you can get 2 new upper front control arms for under $300.

Unreal 06-29-2019 11:24 AM

I did a complete Borg delrin teflon set. Went in easy enough. Very nice and high quality kit.

chandretti15 06-29-2019 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Unreal (Post 1599666492)
I did a complete Borg delrin teflon set. Went in easy enough. Very nice and high quality kit.

How is the ride quality on streets and freeways compared to stock? I know can be very subjective. But relative to stock bushings, what is the ride quality difference? Thanks

Unreal 06-29-2019 12:47 PM

Haven't driven on them yet, so can't really comment but even when my car runs, it has solid mounts, big cam, stiff springs on the coilovers, different tires, sways, etc etc etc etc etc so not sure my opinion on them would be useful.

I would contact borg. I think they say the difference is minimal and if you are still stock suspension, motor mounts, and basic stock car they would ride nice.

Hib Halverson 06-29-2019 02:02 PM

From a tracking standpoint, there is little question that less compliant control arm bushings and stabilizer bar mounts can improve the car's handing.

For street use, less compliant control arm bushings, such as the Delrin parts which Borg Motorsports or Global West Suspension sells, or less expensive polyurethane bushings available from a wide variety of sources, may decrease ride quality, particularly during high-frequency suspension movement such as expansion joints, ripple strips, small pot holes, bought pavement and so forth. Now if the car already has a coil-over kit with big spring rates and/or track-oriented shock valving, you may not notice or even care about high-frequency impact harshness.

But, if the car is primary a street car and high-frequency harshness is an issue either because of ride or noise, then know that less compliant bushings might not be what you want.

Keep in mind that some of the Z06/ZR1 bushings are already pretty stiff and in those cases some urethane replacement bushings might not be an improvement. The Delrin stuff will certainly be less compliant and some parts, such as Borg's offset control arm bushings, have the added benefit of more negative camper adjustment. The Global West Delrin kit from the front upper arms, addresses the common C5/C6 problem is the bushings migrating out of the arm. See
for more on that. I have not used Delrin parts on my C6 but I have used it on other vehicle platforms and it does increase high-frequency harshness but not near to the extend that solid spherical bearings do. I've found Delrin pieces, while somewhat more harsh, to be tolerable on the street to Corvette drivers who are comfortable with very stiff suspensions.

As for Delrin vs. Urethane, that's primarily a cost question. Urethane is usually less expensive for bushing replacement purposes, however, urethane comes with its own set of downsides, one of which is a tendency to squeak, sometimes loudly, in cold/damp weather.

chandretti15 06-29-2019 02:45 PM

Thanks for the comments. I track my '09 Z06 4-6 times a year and take road trips on it and drive it at least once a week. I have stock motor(Redone the heads), stock suspension except for DRM Bilsteins, Raybestos ST-45/43 pads on stock calipers with Quantum Brake ducting.

I actually drove Doug's car in the video that he mentioned. I was thoroughly impressed by what the bushing system on his car did. That car drove like a slot car compared to mine. I got 3 track days on mine so far. I want to take the vagueness/sloppiness/looseness out of my steering. The steering on his car felt like a "point and shoot" type of system. It was very direct without sloppiness. I went to his shop after being on a road trip for several days of driving my car and when I started driving his car, I immediately noticed the difference. His ride was really no harsher than mine especially the messed up road by his shop in San Bernardino. I believe the rest of his suspension is stock.

I like the Global West kit but they don't have anything for the rear yet. I am also considering the Borg DelrinAF bushing kit. I don't know if I want to make it so that you have to align the front suspension with shims only.

STL Mike 07-11-2019 10:39 PM

So I'm looking around for oem rubber bushing replacements and can't find any? Is buying 2 new control arms really the only option?

I'm not looking for anything other than oem. I've done the poly and solid heim joint suspension on dragged out mustangs and I don't want to go back to that. The car is a cruiser, occasional roll racing. NVH is my primary concern.

Unreal 07-12-2019 11:28 AM

Talk with Gspeed. I think they said the c7 control arms bolt right in and have better bushings.

STL Mike 07-12-2019 03:31 PM

Will do, thanks!