CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Cars (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars-24/)
-   -   Someone asked if I will sell my 396. Ideas on value? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/other-cars/4291781-someone-asked-if-i-will-sell-my-396-ideas-on-value.html)

1999corvettels1 07-03-2019 02:06 PM

Someone asked if I will sell my 396. Ideas on value?

I got a email yesterday from someone who on Chevytalk, who read about me decoding my engine as a 1968 396, 310 HP from a 1968 C10 truck.

He is asking if I have it, would I sell.

Also said he sent me a private message on Chevytalk, so I looked, pretty much same questions.

I noticed he just joined and has one post.

I replied back and said I would consider selling, explained everything about it, that it smokes on start ups, may need valve seals or maybe need valve job, but otherwise runs pretty good.

I asked him to make me an offer, and told him my name is Mike.

Also asked where he lives.

He replied back with no offer, and didn't mention his name, but said he lives in Wichita Kansas, and would drive out to Arizona to get it.

He wants my phone # so he can call, but didn't give his phone #.

By the way the engine is not listed for sale, never was, and I have not been active at Chevytalk for years.

Think this could be a scam?

1999corvettels1 07-03-2019 02:09 PM

"
Hey I am interested in that 1968 396 engine XE code that you had put in a 1965 Chevelle. I was just wondering if you would consider selling it? I am restoring a C10 and it would be just right for it. I also sent you a private topic on the Chevytalk website about it also. Please let me know if you still have it and it you would consider selling the engine. I would also pay for removal to try and make it even less of a hassle if that is a issue. I appreciate your time and thanks!"

The email he sent

1999corvettels1 07-03-2019 02:55 PM

Here is the thing, I have been wanting to do a LS swap for years.

If this is for real, and I get a reasonable offer, it could help out.

Scoggin Dickey has a iron 6.0 block bored out to LS3 bore size for $2200, with crank, rods and pistons(iron LS3 shortblock), I think that is a pretty damn good price if still available.

Of course needs lots more parts, heads, valve covers, cam, timing chain and gears, timing cover, oil pan, coil packs.

I think I would run it with a carb, and maybe one day put on LS3 intake and injectors, but if carb runs good enough I wouldn't worry.

Gary '09 C6 07-03-2019 10:50 PM

If this person is a legitimate buyer, why wouldn't he provide his name & contact information ?

1999corvettels1 07-04-2019 02:01 PM

I'll see what happens, report back.

1999corvettels1 07-04-2019 10:57 PM

He is saying "Let me know how much you might want for the engine as prices are all over the place it seems."

"As example here in Kansas rebuildable engines are going anywhere on average between $500 to $1000. But you are in a different part of the country. Are you in Arizona?"

Maybe a $1000.00 is ok, it does run, and I told him he can have motor mount stands, starter, all pullies and alternator, power steering pump, but I'm keeping the Edelbrock Qjet I bought for it.

I looked up used 396 and people want silly high prices.

Is a grand too cheap?