CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Dealer scratched my front lip spoiler!!! (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4292362-dealer-scratched-my-front-lip-spoiler.html)

blackedgs 07-05-2019 02:34 AM

Dealer scratched my front lip spoiler!!!

I’m so frustrated! Had my Vette for 2 weeks. The radiator had a weld fail and the dealer replaced it. Dropped the car off this past Saturday and got it back on Monday the first. I wanted to look under the front of the car to make sure there were no more leaks. I find to my horror, they scratched my carbon flash lip spoiler. I’m just so pissed and frustrated. Why can’t the service people take good care of the cars they service. There are about 4 scratches all about 1-2 inches in length. They all are horizontal and right next to each other. I’m gonna call and drive to the dealer tomorrow. I hope they don’t try and fight me. I want them to just own up to it and replace the spoiler. The spoiler I thought was painted but you can feel like like a layering that has peeled up a bit. The scratches are deep. I have had this car for all of 3 weeks. Any advice anyone can give me on how to deal with this? I know 100% is was there fault. I back into parking spots. The scratches weren’t there before I took it on because I kept inspecting the leak before I took my car into service. The scratches weren’t there.

Vegas1500 07-05-2019 03:27 AM

Be calm and speak directly to the service manager. The fact that you have left and now coming back may be hard to prove. I hate dealing with dealerships.......

449er 07-05-2019 07:28 AM

The dealer will most likely say that the scratches were there before they took possession of the car

2019Vette 07-05-2019 07:28 AM

My new 2019 has been in for a few warranty items, and a few dealer installed extras I wanted

each time I got it back it was SO dirty inside and out, currently waiting on a new gear knob cos they managed to scratch it.

people don’t care. It’s sad.

dvilin 07-05-2019 07:32 AM

Depending on the integrity of the dealer this could be a tough one for you.You should have inspected the car prior to leaving the dealership.Good luck.

SMT1004 07-05-2019 07:44 AM

Be calm when discussing. Also realize other scratches, imperfections, chips, etc. will most likely occur every time you drive.

flying_vette 07-05-2019 07:55 AM

Many dealers now first do walk around inspection for pre-existing scratches/issues before taking the car in, did your dealer do that when you dropped it earlier?

That saved me a headache when tech dinged the side skirt on mine but wouldn’t admit to it.

mdolandese 07-05-2019 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1599699214)
Depending on the integrity of the dealer this could be a tough one for you.You should have inspected the car prior to leaving the dealership.Good luck.

That's what I try to do if I remember, so things like this don't happen. You'd think that everything is going to be alright and nothing is going to happen, but sure enough it always does. What a bummer I hope they take care of you. Good Luck let us know how it turns out.

retired08 07-05-2019 08:24 AM

Not bragging, just Good Service....I took my 2019 in for it's 500 mile free oil change. They couldn't have been more respectful and courteous. Checked the car out prior to getting in, made sure with "extra" ramp blocks that the front air dam would clear, covered the seat with a plastic sheath, put paper on the floor mat and then the service tech put on a protective jacket and gloves before he got in. Very impressive. That's the way ALL dealerships should treat their customers vehicles. After service, which he allowed me to be in the service bay the whole time, even under the lift, he carefully cleaned the underside of the pan and filter area, lowered the car and showed me the new oil level on the dipstick after he let it run for a couple of minutes. Before he backed it off the rack, he carefully wiped any fingerprints from the engine compartment as well as the fenders. I didn't even buy the car from that dealer!
I complimented the service manager on the great care and service I had received. I tried to give the tech a $20.00 tip but he wouldn't take it...I finally asked if he had any kids in which he said one so I said this ($20.00) can go in his piggy bank so he took it and thanked me. What a great experience at Woods Chevrolet in Harrison, AR.

fake 07-05-2019 08:26 AM

If you do not do it your self BEND OVER

DALE#3 07-05-2019 08:45 AM

Took photo's of the car at the dealer drop off this morning.I'll do the walk around before i leave.Took a picture of the ODO To.Pictures are the best document with the time right on it.
Good luck with the splitter.Leaving the dealer may not help.

justplainjim 07-05-2019 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by DALE#3 (Post 1599699447)
Took photo's of the car at the dealer drop off this morning.I'll do the walk around before i leave.Took a picture of the ODO To.Pictures are the best document with the time right on it.
Good luck with the splitter.Leaving the dealer may not help.

I agree with the above. YOU and the service writer do a walk around. Have them mark no damage on the work sheet. Always thoroughly inspect your car before you leave the dealership.

L8ter 07-05-2019 09:18 AM

You have a cell phone; use it. Otherwise, it's he said / she said.
The smart dealers will video every car that comes in for service to avoid this very issue.
Many of us have had similar experiences, I being one. Dealer cracked my rocker panel on the 500 mile oil change, along with some other experiences that left a bad taste in my mouth. Cost GM the sale of a Z06 to my household.
Lesson learned; don't expect exclusive service from a high volume manufacturer.

Good luck with the fix!

Z06_Ruff 07-05-2019 09:21 AM

I understand your frustration but just remember the old saying "you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar" when talking with the service manager. Hopefully they will make things right. Wish you the best.

Vetteman Jack 07-05-2019 09:31 AM

Approach the dealer (service manager) in a calm, professional manner, explain the issue and request that the spoiler be fixed/replaced. If that does not work, escalate the matter up the dealership food chain. I understand your frustration, and hopefully the dealership will take care of you.

Kevin A Jones 07-05-2019 09:50 AM

I can imagine your frustration. When something like this happens to me I try to look it it from a "it could have been much worst" perspective to help me calm down. For example sounds like your damage is in an area fairly hidden from easy view, and the spoiler is pretty easy to repair or replace. The damage could just as easy been across your hood.

Anyway, as other have stated, approach the SM in a calm and respectful manner and go from there. Worst case, your insurance covers it. Good luck in getting this resolved.

w0rM 07-05-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack (Post 1599699644)
Approach the dealer (service manager) in a calm, professional manner, explain the issue and request that the spoiler be fixed/replaced. If that does not work, escalate the matter up the dealership food chain. I understand your frustration, and hopefully the dealership will take care of you.

^ this

Most of the time, if you're polite but persistent, you can get a reasonable resolution.

That said, this is why I hate letting dealers drive my cars.

plmmd 07-05-2019 10:34 AM

Chevy dealer great experience???????

My first venture to EASTHILLS chevy in Bayside queens was for my free oil change- they drained it while i waited and then discovered they didnt have the dexos 4 hour wait they went to a different dealer to get it
went to get first cracked rim fixed 7 hours as they couldnt mount it in house and had to send it out
second cracked rim they told me to go elsewhere

saleen556 07-05-2019 10:36 AM

Is this under the car where it can’t be seen? If so then I personally wouldn’t make a big deal about it. If you actually drive the car it’s going to happen. The cars are very low and there will be a driveway to steep eventually.

Now if visible from the front I’d want it fixed.

ImpliedConsent 07-05-2019 10:38 AM

Relax, they'll make it right. I had my drivers side front carbon fiber splitter winglet get ripped out by the dealer. They were stressing on how I'd respond... I responded calmly, quietly because accidents happen. The tech was so danged upset with himself. For some reason, parts dept priced out $4,000.00 for the splitter. I didn't pay even 1/4 of that price. I tried to help them with the right part/parts number so they don't pay so danged much. I suggested they just fix it, but carbon fiber is hard to work on and it's cheaper ( :eek: ) to buy a new one.

It'll be alright.