CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Changing battery (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4292551-changing-battery.html)

DCortez 07-05-2019 05:40 PM

Changing battery

Is this an easy do it yourself job or not?

Checked youtube but no luck.

eboggs_jkvl 07-05-2019 06:42 PM

Well, how mechanically minded are you?

Getting to the battery is not a big challenge. Getting the battery disconnected and removed requires some dexterity.

Care must be taken to not tear the carpet.

Care must be taken to get it wired back in exactly as it was when you took it out. The wires and connections must be aligned as they were to insure a good electric connection.

I'm 75 and I can do it.

Cheat sheet:
http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf
Props to JerryU

Elmer

TNSQUIRE 07-05-2019 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Well, how mechanically minded are you?

Getting to the battery is not a big challenge. Getting the battery disconnected and removed requires some dexterity.

Care must be taken to not tear the carpet.

Care must be taken to get it wired back in exactly as it was when you took it out. The wires and connections must be aligned as they were to insure a good electric connection.

I'm 75 and I can do it.

Cheat sheet:
http://netwelding.com/Battery_Issues.pdf
Props to JerryU

Elmer

I also followed the instructions in this link. Very well done. The hardest part was lifting the battery out. I bought a lifter for that. Looks kind of like ice tongs.

Ruouthere 07-05-2019 09:37 PM

Timely post, need to replace our battery tomorrow, thanks!

Avanti 07-06-2019 06:20 PM

If in doubt about getting everything back as original, take a picture(s) of the way everything is before and as removing the old one. :yesnod:

Elk 07-06-2019 08:29 PM

Excellent advice. This works superbly to help remember where everything went whenever working on a car, etc.

gunnerja 07-06-2019 09:57 PM

I did mine 2 weekends ago, google C7 battery and I took a screen shot. Easy beasy the only issues is lifting it up and angling out.

Maxpowers 07-07-2019 12:01 PM

Jerry's writeup is very good. An easy DIY.

CourtneyJudd 07-07-2019 05:32 PM

I am 75 also and did mine but NEVER again... the $25 dealer wanted to swap them was a bargain! Good luck, CJ

DCortez 07-09-2019 10:13 AM

I'm nervous about scuffing, ripping, and hurting my baby.

Maxpowers 07-09-2019 12:09 PM

^^^
I'd be more nervous about the dealer scuffing, ripping and hurting your baby LOL.

DCortez 07-15-2019 07:12 PM

Good point.

Found this! Posted a couple of weeks ago. The part I was concerned with is a complete module versus disconnecting every point.

JerryU 07-16-2019 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CourtneyJudd (Post 1599712301)
I am 75 also and did mine but NEVER again... the $25 dealer wanted to swap them was a bargain! Good luck, CJ

Originally Posted by DCortez (Post 1599722588)
I'm nervous about scuffing, ripping, and hurting my baby.

Originally Posted by Maxpowers (Post 1599723378)
^^^
I'd be more nervous about the dealer scuffing, ripping and hurting your baby LOL.

:iagree: Thanks to those who posted my PDF. I try to put in pics/text things even the 4 Volume Service Manual doesn't cover! Like the statement "Remove Power Board" with no pic or words how! Bet whoever wrote it never changed a C7 battery!

I'm 76, it's NOT that hard. I bought a "cheap" lifter that fits over the posts BUT they are on one side and as I was lifting it out of the small hole, it slipped! I just put the battery on the rear area and lifted it out with my hands! Agree lifting it over the spoiler or fender is risky unless you buy the more expanse "Ice Tong" tool someone mentioned.

For those that think the seller will do it free, when I brought the old battery back to get my $10 deposit fee told the manager to be careful, about ripping the carpet and how to get the power board off! I replaced mine early in 2016. He said, "We no longer change batteries in cars where it's not easy to get to." I understand that as I was planning to change the wife's ~4 year old battery in her Porsche Cayenne. Found out I needed a special very large Torx wrench because I had to remove the drivers seat! Not just tilt it, remove it! Lots of plastic trim on the bottom and many wires.

Was bringing to get washed and the fellow said nice car too bad it cost $900 to change the battery! I said how did you know? He said another fellow brings his in and that's what he paid! :lol: Instead, traded it in on a new BMW 5X SUV! She liked I better!

Rayland 07-16-2019 06:48 PM

DCortez;

Great question:

Thank you, for the informative video too.

Prerequisites for new battery installation: 1. Clean all electrical connections ?
2. Application of dielectric grease ?
3. Reinstall battery drain hose?

Please, remove all your Jewelry, watch, and your metal belt buckle, anytime you are working on a vehicle that you value?

Many thanks,

Ray

"Save Harley Earl's front engine Corvette".

y2kvett 07-17-2019 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Rayland (Post 1599767541)
DCortez;

Great question:

Thank you, for the informative video too.

Prerequisites for new battery installation: 1. Clean all electrical connections ?
2. Application of dielectric grease ?
3. Reinstall battery drain hose?

Please, remove all your Jewelry, watch, and your metal belt buckle, anytime you are working on a vehicle that you value?

Many thanks,

Ray

"Save Harley Earl's front engine Corvette".

Yes, don't forget to reattach the vent/drain tube on the outward side of the battery.

halp 07-18-2019 09:58 PM

Battery change

Great video, best I have seen on it

goldend 07-19-2019 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by CourtneyJudd (Post 1599712301)

I agree. I changed my battery out at the end of May and messed up my back pretty bad. My be time for another back surgery. :(

Elk 07-21-2019 12:02 AM

Excellent video!

Thanks

wrecker3 07-22-2019 10:34 AM

I have been using a Deltran Battery Tender for over 30 years and have had Delco batteries last for almost 10 years when connect to my 1989 C4. My 2016 C7 is connect to a Deltran Tender now and i hope to get more than 5 years !!!! I now have a Deltran Wi-Fi battery monitor and can check my battery status on my phone !!!

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3bc254a112.png

DCortez 10-29-2019 05:23 AM

Finally got around (work travel ended) to changing it out.

Would add disconnect drain tube and "plastic 90" by negative terminal before you start and don't reconnect until new battery is seated.