CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous-123/)
-   -   Radiator Selection - Base Model (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-forced-induction-nitrous/4292718-radiator-selection-base-model.html)

flatbush862 07-06-2019 09:01 AM

Radiator Selection - Base Model

There are probably lots of posts out there on this subject but I'm trying to drill down on my selection criteria.

Looking at an A&A SC kit fo base C6 - A6 - and want the extra cooling capacity. I live in the NE - Long Island - not terribly hot, but it gets up there

The radiator options beyond base are:
Dewitt
A&A product

Any real difference between the two - cost wise not that far apart
Also if Dewitt is the selection, do I need the "shorty" radiator

On the Fan Selection:
Dewitt - SPAL dual fan product
ProSpeed - dual fan product

Cost wise ProSpeed is about 2X the price as the SPAL. However the Prospeed unit I believe has a significantly higher CFM rating.

If Prospeed is the choice, is it a direct fit to the Dewitt and A&A radiator? Direct fit to the "shorty" as well?

The car runs about 210-215 degrees F with the AC on, may creep up to 220 in traffic. I would like to keep it there, if that's realistic, with the SC in place.

Looking for opinions on what work's best. The car is mostly a weekend cruiser, I do not race the car and will be looking for a relatively conservative tune.

Thx

NYC6 07-06-2019 04:52 PM

Im on LI also and just recently went through what your asking. Over heating killed the A6 in my AA S/C’d car. Heat is the mortal enemies of these transmissions, watch to trans temps. After much research( mostly here with what many members did) in went full size Dewitts. Got it with the EOC/TOC fittings. Also added a B&M fanned cooler to further lower the trans fluid temps. I’m using the rad stock fan and it’s working well. Gave it a good test last weekend when we went to jersey for a family party on a 90* day and we got stuck in very slow stop and go traffic on the Harlem river drive for almost an hour. Temps stayed in check, including the trans fluid. Coolant temps stays at a near rock steady 207* at normal speeds and only saw it go up 215* when spun up quite high doing hard pulls back to back on a 90* day, as a test.
Dewitt’s is a very nice piece of aluminum functional art. If you’re keeping power at moderate levels as I am then what I did should work for you as well. Definitely get the full size, it fits nicely with the AA kit.

WestCyril 07-06-2019 07:57 PM

The ProSpeed unit is the best shroud/fan combo on the market for C6.
Everyone who has one says they drop temps by 15+ Degrees minimum some claiming even more. 200+ degree coolant temps are were I would start upgrading as coolant goes up oil, etc do as well.

Most people agree the shorty/short radiators are not worth it unless your car is making 1000+ HP and you have a huge inlet on the blower that is blocked. For a basic street car full size radiator will be fine.

If you have the money and want it done right the first time I would go with a Dewitts Radiator and Prospeed fan combo.

Unreal 07-07-2019 12:42 PM

What ^^^ said.

Short radiator is just a shitty way to downsize cooling for people who want an easier way to put blower inlet on/off. Much better off running full size and then just running a bell mouth, turbo guard, or dropping the radiator mounts than gimping up cooling doing a short one.

Prospeed is the fans to get or stay stock fan.

flatbush862 07-07-2019 08:20 PM

OK thx - a couple of questions.......
Full size Dewitts it is, however what are EOC/TOC fittings?
Also the trans. cooler is good insurance. with the intercooler, radiator and AC where did you mount it in the car?

Thx

flatbush862 07-07-2019 08:22 PM

Thx all for the input

Unreal 07-07-2019 08:23 PM

Engine Oil Cooler
Transmission Oil Cooler

Built in coolers in the end tanks.

NYC6 07-07-2019 09:01 PM

Mòst as I did mount the aux trans cooler behind the right front fog light. Remove the fog and get airflow through the cooler.

donnyt 07-07-2019 10:16 PM

ProSpeed + Dewitts full size. I'm running this with my ECS setup out here in Az and my temps dropped ~15 degrees in the summer.