CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4292859-zr1-stock-stereo-is-realy-crap-well-guess-what-you-do.html)

wera78 07-06-2019 04:41 PM

zr1 stock stereo is realy crap. well. guess what you do

just wanted to tell everyone that is nervous to change it out .Well let me tell you what I found out, when I got enough nerve to have some shop pull apart my, 11' zr1 cmg .It was like trying to trust some doctor to operate on one of my kids. Yea i'm anal also. Well pulled the trigger and bought a top of the line pioneer with all the bells and whistles , around 800$ .also went for front and rear cameras , paid around 2K.Yea paid a little too much, told the guy though if he fucked my shit up I was going to split his wig..Yea LOL . .Well im not 6'4" 240 for nothing .Alright I will get to it just funning. It was night and day with the sound I mean no need to spend money and get new speakers or a different amp,I think a new amp that would fit in the factory location would only further improve though .Further more the sound quality and loudness was off the chart.It was like having and entirely new system. This made so much of a difference I felt compelled to share.

On another note .I've been thinking of this for awhile.I know there are quit a few of us in DFW we should post up and have a meet or a drive sometime? It would be nice to see others ,hang out ,share info?

Legionofone1 07-07-2019 12:01 AM

This is super easy to do yourself and a great upgrade... I now have a 2010 with the same features of my wife's 2019 car.

I threw in a pioneer nex unit, a rear camera and a USB port into the cig lighter under the center console for carplay.

All you really need is a PAC box and a metra kit.

wera78 07-07-2019 12:47 AM

[QUOTE=Legionofone1;1599709127]This is super easy to do yourself and a great upgrade... I now have a 2010 with the same features of my wife's 2019 car.

I threw in a pioneer nex unit, a rear camera and a USB port into the cig lighter under the center console. that's what I did what a difference it made .

JMBLOWNWS6 07-07-2019 03:01 AM

As soon as I get more than a day off this junk ass stereo is gone. Im totally surprised how crappy it is! Install thread will be fun :)

Pb82 Ronin 07-07-2019 10:40 AM

You'll get used to it...and then you'll want more. Thankfully, I've taken the journey, and I'm okay with sharing.

RedZ4me 07-07-2019 01:59 PM

Which Avic unit #. ? Thanks

JMBLOWNWS6 07-07-2019 07:18 PM

Im using the 4200 NEX out of my 2017 Jeep I am getting rid of. Should be an easy install. I really wish maestro idatalink did corvettes. I enjoyed the integration I had on the jeep and being able to read SES on the fly and the gauges. Oh well back to Torque app via HDMI / stream stick

RedZ4me 07-08-2019 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by wera78 (Post 1599707052)
just wanted to tell everyone that is nervous to change it out .Well let me tell you what I found out, when I got enough nerve to have some shop pull apart my, 11' zr1 cmg .It was like trying to trust some doctor to operate on one of my kids. Yea i'm anal also. Well pulled the trigger and bought a top of the line pioneer with all the bells and whistles , around 800$ .also went for front and rear cameras , paid around 2K.Yea paid a little too much, told the guy though if he fucked my shit up I was going to split his wig..Yea LOL . .Well im not 6'4" 240 for nothing .Alright I will get to it just funning. It was night and day with the sound I mean no need to spend money and get new speakers or a different amp,I think a new amp that would fit in the factory location would only further improve though .Further more the sound quality and loudness was off the chart.It was like having and entirely new system. This made so much of a difference I felt compelled to share.

On another note .I've been thinking of this for awhile.I know there are quit a few of us in DFW we should post up and have a meet or a drive sometime? It would be nice to see others ,hang out ,share info?

Hi, which Avic unit # ?? thanks

wera78 07-08-2019 10:49 AM

I put the avh w4500 nex

KurtsZ06 07-08-2019 04:38 PM

Just picked my ZR1 up from stereo shop, had the Sony RSX complete system installed. I added a different subwoofer and an upgraded amp.
What a sound system is all I can say. Friggin amazing. Pricey for a car stereo but worth every penny.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX...+din+car+radio

Legionofone1 07-08-2019 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by KurtsZ06 (Post 1599718422)
Just picked my ZR1 up from stereo shop, had the Sony RSX complete system installed. I added a different subwoofer and an upgraded amp.
What a sound system is all I can say. Friggin amazing. Pricey for a car stereo but worth every penny.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_700RSX...+din+car+radio

That's beautiful but seems to lack a lot of features...

wera78 07-08-2019 09:52 PM

What amp did you use?

LawrenceFromTorrance 07-08-2019 11:58 PM

Did the phone use the existing mic or did you put in a new mic? I ask because I'm afraid that the radio, etc will work better but the phone will not work as well as in the stock setup.

wera78 07-09-2019 12:05 AM

Ir was all stock install

JMBLOWNWS6 07-09-2019 12:07 AM

With any aftermarket unit it will have its own MIC. All of my experience with the Pioneer NEX series has been great bluetooth quality. I have 8100,4200 and 4100 so thats from experience with these units. And I installed them all myself so I have a good grasp on Pioneer products. The key to the install is MIC placement. In my Silverado its in the middle of the truck where my sunroof controls are. In my 2017 Jeep JK its wired into the rear view mirror and when I had my Trans Am it was above the mirror right in front of the window. The ZR1 placement will be in the headliner above the mirror middle of cabin.

wera78 07-09-2019 12:07 AM

It was a stock install

KurtsZ06 07-09-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by wera78 (Post 1599720401)
What amp did you use?

Alpine - PDX Series Class D Digital Multichannel MOSFET Amplifier

KurtsZ06 07-09-2019 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Legionofone1 (Post 1599718452)
That's beautiful but seems to lack a lot of features...

On the surface, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles. For pure music sound and clarity, it can’t be beat. I pipe navigation through it, from my phone. I rarely use navigation, especially in this ZR so a moving map is not important. My preference. I can pipe in music from my phone and iPad, plus satellite so I’m good. The upgraded amp has more balls than the package amp and the set of speakers plus the sub have unbelievable clarity at any sound level. I’m old s hood music ( ZZ Top, Steppenwolf, etc ) and unlike before, I’m listening without any distortion or background noise.

All personal preference.

Scuba_Steve 07-09-2019 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6 (Post 1599712818)
Im using the 4200 NEX out of my 2017 Jeep I am getting rid of. Should be an easy install. I really wish maestro idatalink did corvettes. I enjoyed the integration I had on the jeep and being able to read SES on the fly and the gauges. Oh well back to Torque app via HDMI / stream stick

Can you elaborate more on using the Torque app via HDMI/Stream stick? I'd love to get the Torque gauges on my head unit, I use it all the time mainly to monitor IAT's.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2b2f43303d.jpg

JMBLOWNWS6 07-10-2019 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba_Steve (Post 1599726201)
Can you elaborate more on using the Torque app via HDMI/Stream stick? I'd love to get the Torque gauges on my head unit, I use it all the time mainly to monitor IAT's.
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...2b2f43303d.jpg

So if you have a streaming stick it will mirror your phone to your AVIC. On a 4200 aka 4100 NEX model you have to install the bypass on it inorder to see video in motion. Order a Screen Beam Mini2 and your in business via HDMI. Its only a mirror no control functions but it does work for that exact function. I used it to watch youtube etc on the road on long trips. I havent used it in a long time once I had adapted to imaestro but I cant use that anymore on the C6 platform so back to my old school ways.