CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   Loose feeling rear end (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4293733-loose-feeling-rear-end.html)

Zo6chip 07-09-2019 06:56 AM

Loose feeling rear end

My Z06 makes about 550 hp at the tires. I have noticed going around turns under power the rear end feels like it wants to step out or spin. Traction control on. Also with the traction control off if I get into it hard it always spins to the left making it hard to control. Was thinking maybe the bushing were bad. The car has 42000 miles and it’s a 2006. I have read the TC could cause the feeling around corners. I wanted to take it to the mountains for some curvy road playing but sure don’t like the uneasy feeling from the rear.

Mordeth 07-09-2019 07:41 AM

Get yourself a better set of shocks. Like DRM Bilsteins. That will help somewhat in keeping the rear planted. And yes, the bushings can go bad and should be inspected. They can dry out and crack. A rear spoiler and a front ZR1 splitter with reinforcement brace will also help, by creating aerodynamic downforce that will keep the car better planted during acceleration and cornering. And make sure you are on quality, fresh tires that have some heat in them before attempting these maneuvers. You will know they have heat in them when the tire pressure starts to rise. You should also get an alignment, to ensure nothing is off.

Finally, you should always be careful with throttle application in a high horsepower, high revving, rear wheel drive car that is already loose from the factory. I am not suggesting you are doing this, but never stab the throttle. You progressively and firmly apply throttle as you accelerate, feeling out the available traction. If the rear starts to come loose, you should understand how to softly (not abruptly) lift off the throttle and counter-steer appropriately. Movements should be slight and precise. Do not over-correct, do not panic. It is a learned behavior and takes practice.

Keep all your nannies on until you understand completely how to anticipate what the car is doing and control it properly. It takes practice and a sensitive butt-o-meter. Competition mode will take off the stupid traction control and allow some yaw/slip angle.

TXGS507 07-09-2019 07:57 AM

Well said Anthony... As always, sound advise.

DaOtherOne 07-09-2019 10:38 AM

When I saw the post title, I was tempted to post a bad exercise joke but decided not to. I must be growing up.

mykream 07-09-2019 12:28 PM

As Anthony said, shocks and bushing are big items for the not so sound feelings in the rear end. A set of delrin or poly bushings would definitely make a big difference. A good set of shocks will keep the car more stable as well.

gsflyer2011 07-09-2019 01:56 PM

More negative camber. That is how i resolved my twitchy rear end. Street alignment is not for aggressive drivers that wants to utilize the design and potential if this car.

MTPZ06 07-09-2019 02:04 PM

Shocks (DRM's), proper 4 wheel alignment for your driving habits, inspect sway bar bushings/mounting brackets as I have seen the bolts back out before, sway bar end links are a wear item that needs periodic replacement, inspect/replace control arm bushings if needed, and lastly...tires. What kind of tires, and how old they are can affect handling and traction

Zo6chip 07-09-2019 08:55 PM

Thanks guys for the info. My C5 Z06 made about 420 at the tides and it was very stable during wheel spin. It always went straight when spinning and around curves it was nailed to the road. I know the C6 makes a lot more power but I thought the handling was better the C5. I will check the rear bushing this weekend. My buddy has the same car with the same mods and his car goes straight when spinning. Mind steps out to the left every time. I’ll post what I find.

STANG KILLA SS 07-11-2019 03:06 PM

DRM shocks and better tires that can handle your power level.
every time i put my street tires on (PSS) the car scares the shit out of me. down right dangerous.
but with my race tires (200TW) i dont get this feeling at all. car is very planted.

i will also say that i didnt feel ANY difference when going from stock shocks with 42k on them to DRM Bilsteins on track. you could do a blind back to back test and id never feel the difference. however this does not seem to be be norm. most people like them (plecebo/ new parts effect?)

Zo6chip 07-11-2019 09:42 PM

I had a friend suggest today it might be my posi unit slipping. I’ve never experienced this feeling before makes sense. What’s your opinion