CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   Power Steering High Pressure Hose (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4294045-power-steering-high-pressure-hose.html)

S2K 07-09-2019 08:21 PM

Power Steering High Pressure Hose

I have a diagnosed leak in the high pressure hose of my C6's power steering. The local shop says it will be at least $1,100 to repair. The reason is that it's apparently very hard to get to and so the process is very labor intensive. I am going to call around to other shops, but does anyone have experience with this and the cost?

Kenny94945 07-09-2019 08:40 PM

Knowing your local hourly labor rate would help to determine if this is a fair cost.
Then the list price of required parts & materials & sales tax rate costs too.

PS hose # 25962987 list price is $296.69 and Fluid # 19329448 is $16.34 a quart (may need 3 qts) for example.
(Not sure if those examples are correct and a complete list for OPs Vette)

S2K 07-09-2019 08:57 PM

Do you have a sense of how many hours something like this should take? The did indicate that the cost was really in the labor.

S2K 07-09-2019 09:24 PM

I just got a call back from another shop saying about $400. Good lord.

PCMusicGuy 07-09-2019 10:04 PM

Local shop charged me about $500 to replace the hose, parts costs included. It is not a super easy job and if you mess up on the install, you may have to remove it and re-route it. It really depends on how familiar the tech is that does the work.

S2K 07-10-2019 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by PCMusicGuy (Post 1599727411)
Local shop charged me about $500 to replace the hose, parts costs included. It is not a super easy job and if you mess up on the install, you may have to remove it and re-route it. It really depends on how familiar the tech is that does the work.

Good to hear. Obviously I preferred the $400 but was concerned that it was so much less. Given your experience and it's likely this shop is much more familiar. It certainly pays to shop around.

Andysherman 07-10-2019 02:28 PM

I just had mine replaced about 2 months ago... was either 2.5 or 3 hrs flat-rate, labor was $275 at Chevy dealership, I supplied the part via Rock Auto ($75)....
FYI, GM redesigned the H/P hose & is different length & shape than your original. And it's different for base vs Z51... I can F/U with the invoice when I get home tomorrow...

PCMusicGuy 07-10-2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Andysherman (Post 1599731404)
I just had mine replaced about 2 months ago... was either 2.5 or 3 hrs flat-rate, labor was $275 at Chevy dealership, I supplied the part via Rock Auto ($75)....
FYI, GM redesigned the H/P hose & is different length & shape than your original. And it's different for base vs Z51... I can F/U with the invoice when I get home tomorrow...

Absolutely this. The replacement hose is about 3x longer than the original which makes finding place to tuck and secure the excess hose a challenge.

C6ToGo 07-10-2019 05:58 PM

Take the Challenge!!....and do it yourself!!

For a total of $350 by going DIY and finding deals on parts, I did the following:

Pull rack and install new PowerBond BALANCER (PB1117N),
Crank seal,
3 new PULLEYS-idlers & tensioners,
Drive BELT,
New WATER PUMP (preventive),
Coolant,
Gates PS PRESSURE HOSE (leak).
Cost includes tools needed for balancer install: flywheel lock & balancer installer

r2boxers 07-13-2019 01:03 PM

High pressure hose

My high pressure hose is leaking at the crimps on the hose. Got an estimate from my mechanic today. He states that it is a 3.5 hour job. His quote was between 5-6 hundred which includes all new parts and fluids. Will take in on Tuesday. It is worth it to not have to jack the car up and lay on my concrete floor for hours. FYI

airspeed 07-13-2019 11:44 PM

I have an 07 vert had P/S pressure hose replaced about 5 months ago here in Hollywood FL. parts and labor between 4-5 hundred bucks

Andysherman 07-14-2019 09:47 AM

Quick follow-up on my last reply... Chevy dealer charged 2 hrs, rate of $104/hr, & I supplied the part from Rock Auto... so my total expenditure was under $300, however the dealer's service dept is terrible at customer service, another story for another time, but anyone in the NEPA area, suggest staying away from Valley Chevrolet for any service work...missed the opening day at Watkins Glen because of their lack of attention to detail having to keep my car over the weekend unnecessarily.