CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Low oil pressure warning twice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4294169-low-oil-pressure-warning-twice.html)

Synacks 07-10-2019 09:11 AM

Low oil pressure warning twice

I've had the low pressure warning come on twice now in the past 4-5 hours of driving time. Bone stock C7 Z06 with no tune, 22K miles.

The car has 35-45psi while in gear and driving regularly. As soon as I come up to a stop sign or a red light and slow down, the oil pressure will dip down severely. Today is has been dipping to 10-15psi, a few times to right below 10psi, and once this morning at 5 or below to trigger the warning. Warning only, no check engine lights or anything else.

It was an extremely mild drive in medium street/highway traffic. No funny business or going fast. Every single time I came to a stop it took a heavy dip.

What are some things I can check on myself before taking it to the dealership?

Prime Target 07-10-2019 09:18 AM

You’re still within the power train warranty. Dont screw around with it. Take it to the dealer. Could be something as simple as a faulty oil pressure sensor, or something as serious as a main bearing failure.

Synacks 07-10-2019 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prime Target (Post 1599729093)
You’re still within the power train warranty. Dont screw around with it. Take it to the dealer. Could be something as simple as a faulty oil pressure sensor, or something as serious as a main bearing failure.

The gauge is quite jumpy, I think you might be on to something about the sensor. The car drives great otherwise. I'll just take it in.

Prime Target 07-10-2019 09:25 AM

I hope it’s just the sensor so you don’t have major down time with your car. Let us know how it works out.

gve 07-10-2019 10:26 AM

Did you check the oil level?

Mr. Gizmo 07-10-2019 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Synacks (Post 1599729064)
I've had the low pressure warning come on twice now in the past 4-5 hours of driving time. Bone stock C7 Z06 with no tune, 22K miles.

The car has 35-45psi while in gear and driving regularly. As soon as I come up to a stop sign or a red light and slow down, the oil pressure will dip down severely. Today is has been dipping to 10-15psi, a few times to right below 10psi, and once this morning at 5 or below to trigger the warning. Warning only, no check engine lights or anything else.

It was an extremely mild drive in medium street/highway traffic. No funny business or going fast. Every single time I came to a stop it took a heavy dip.

What are some things I can check on myself before taking it to the dealership?

Have you checked the oil per the manual. Warm up to 175 degrees—- shut off for 5 minutes no longer then 15 minutes and pull the dip stick on the sump. With oil in between the cross hatch marks? With a 10.5 quart fill it should be at the top of the mark.

BlackBandit 07-10-2019 05:12 PM

I would monitor your oil pressure full time now, keep it pulled up, look down at every stop. When I had issues with my CTSV it would be low to mid 30's while driving and 5-8 at red lights. After the dealer, if it still dips to 10 or even 5, change the oil. I'm assuming you aren't running E85. If after the oil change and you still see 10 or lower, you more than likely have a main bearing issue. They replaced my sensor twice and it still dropped to 5-8 with new oil, car seemed to perform flawlessly which confused the hell out of me too. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Good luck.

Synacks 07-12-2019 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo (Post 1599732297)
Have you checked the oil per the manual. Warm up to 175 degrees—- shut off for 5 minutes no longer then 15 minutes and pull the dip stick on the sump. With oil in between the cross hatch marks? With a 10.5 quart fill it should be at the top of the mark.

Originally Posted by BlackBandit (Post 1599732383)
I would monitor your oil pressure full time now, keep it pulled up, look down at every stop. When I had issues with my CTSV it would be low to mid 30's while driving and 5-8 at red lights. After the dealer, if it still dips to 10 or even 5, change the oil. I'm assuming you aren't running E85. If after the oil change and you still see 10 or lower, you more than likely have a main bearing issue. They replaced my sensor twice and it still dropped to 5-8 with new oil, car seemed to perform flawlessly which confused the hell out of me too. Sorry to hear you are having issues. Good luck.

Oil has been checked and all is good. I am due for an oil change though, just picked up the oil and filter to get it done next week.

Turned out the sensor plug was slightly loose and it has been re-secured and working great now. When I come to a stop or any time I shift to neutral now, it never goes below 25psi. And the pressure readings are much smoother and less jittery.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Mr. Gizmo 07-12-2019 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Synacks (Post 1599741816)
Oil has been checked and all is good. I am due for an oil change though, just picked up the oil and filter to get it done next week.

Turned out the sensor plug was slightly loose and it has been re-secured and working great now. When I come to a stop or any time I shift to neutral now, it never goes below 25psi. And the pressure readings are much smoother and less jittery.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Great. - happy that was an easy fix!

where is the sensor located on the lt4?

CJ Willys 07-14-2019 10:16 PM

Take it immediately to dealer

C5-VERT 07-16-2019 04:27 PM

I have exactly the SAME issue. Mine was low on oil but now I am curious about the sensor plug b/c it's exactly the same issue you state. Thanks for sharing this and the fix!

C5-VERT 07-16-2019 04:29 PM

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c75bcbd8fa.png
Oil Pressure sensor location (GM 2017 Service Manual)

C5-VERT 07-16-2019 04:31 PM

FYI oil temp sensor is at the bottom of the Main Oil Tank inside the lower passenger front quarter panel.

C5-VERT 08-01-2019 08:34 PM

There's also a small sensor filter under the oil manifold plug where the oil pressure sensor is. That can get clogged and cause issues. In case others want to know what else to check.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3abe79cef5.png

C5-VERT 08-01-2019 08:35 PM

It's tiny! Got mine in last week: