CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   Shipping Charges (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4294189-shipping-charges.html)

ptjsk 07-10-2019 10:02 AM

Shipping Charges

What Corvette parts vendor "does not" stick it to you with shipping charges?

In other words, what vendor provides fair and reasonable charges for shipping?

Pat

Railroadman 07-10-2019 10:09 AM

I have found Bair's to be great to work with.

SupremeDeluxe 07-10-2019 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Railroadman (Post 1599729454)
I have found Bair's to be great to work with.

I agree Bair's is excellent all-around to deal with. However, I find that I order most from Paragon. Shipping is not cheap, but it's consistent and I get my order the next day (helps to be on the other side of Lake Michigan) if I put it in before 12. When your time is as limited as mine (2 businesses, 2 small kids, wife VP of a large public company, abundant distractions), I am willing to pay the CORVETTE TAX to get the right parts fast.

Your mileage may vary.

65silververt 07-10-2019 11:04 AM

Corvette Central is the worst! They will hose the crap out of you in shipping.
Long Island is fair.

Vette5311 07-10-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by 65silververt (Post 1599729821)
Corvette Central is the worst! They will hose the crap out of you in shipping.
Long Island is fair.

I agree :yesnod:

rene-paul 07-10-2019 11:29 AM

I live on the Island of Hawaii; none are fair, IMO.
Aloha,
Rene

BrotherVette 07-10-2019 11:36 AM

I just placed a small order with Zip and at least they gave me the option of picking an appropriate shipping method for my size order. These “Flat Rate Shipping” charges are total BS especially when I see the package show up with the postage displayed. I agree CC is the worst. I will say that they were accommodating when I finally had enough and complained. That shouldn’t be necessary.

58n65 07-10-2019 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by ptjsk (Post 1599729404)
What Corvette parts vendor "does not" stick it to you with shipping charges?

In other words, what vendor provides fair and reasonable charges for shipping?

Pat

That's why I wait for Corvette America to offer Free Shipping for orders over $____. Can't hardly stand to buy a $100 worth of parts to pay $20+ for shipping.

Tcheairs38655 07-10-2019 01:11 PM

I like Paragon’s service, knowledgeable salesmen and stock situation, but they do “soak” you on small orders. Zip will ship via priority 2nd day mail for around $7.00. Or even 1st class mail for less, but it takes several days for “snail mail” to get here.

pop23235 07-10-2019 01:14 PM

I like ZIP cause I can stop in and pick the order up and pay no shipping, plus I know if the order is in stock before I go.

CorvetteMikeB 07-10-2019 01:23 PM

Summit Racing........FREE....$99 Dollars Or More. Even less than $99 will be much cheaper than the vendor's listed below.

Much better than the "Over Priced Zip's Corvette & Ecklers Corvette Shipping Prices"

morly1963 07-10-2019 01:45 PM

Keen-Very fair.
KeenParts

AZDoug 07-10-2019 02:01 PM

Shipping charges have gone up faster than inflation, by quiet a bit in the past 20 years, based on what i pay for UPS shipping as a small shipper.
That said, large shippers get substantial discount off "retail" rates, sometimes as much as 70% off, maybe more depending on who they are and how large they are (Amazon, Summit).
Some companies just charge retail and make profit off their discount.

The other thing is, that when you ship something, you get a displayed rate, if your customer happens to be in east jesus, you find after the fact that UPS added an extended delivery fee and/or rural delivery of $3-$5 to whet you thought you were going to pay,after you already charged the customer, so the vendor loses a few dollars on that shipping adventure. Not big deal on a $400 part, but it is big deal on a $7 part, so many will simply add on $5 to every shipment to cover those situations
Doug

Dreaming60’s 07-10-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by AZDoug (Post 1599731211)
Shipping charges have gone up faster than inflation, by quiet a bit in the past 20 years, based on what i pay for UPS shipping as a small shipper.
That said, large shippers get substantial discount off "retail" rates, sometimes as much as 70% off, maybe more depending on who they are and how large they are (Amazon, Summit).
Some companies just charge retail and make profit off their discount.

The other thing is, that when you ship something, you get a displayed rate, if your customer happens to be in east jesus, you find after the fact that UPS added an extended delivery fee and/or rural delivery of $3-$5 to whet you thought you were going to pay,after you already charged the customer, so the vendor loses a few dollars on that shipping adventure. Not big deal on a $400 part, but it is big deal on a $7 part, so many will simply add on $5 to every shipment to cover those situations
Doug

Happens more than I thought. We are a moderate shipper (15-20 packages a day) and have accounts with UPS an Fed-X and do get great discounts. 50-70% in not unheard of when you add in the exorbitant insurance premiums they charge the little guys. So, 90% of our shipments we prepay the freight on our account add just add in the actual cost +$3 and pass the savings along. Truck lines are the same way.....discounts of 50% for account holders is normal.

I've had good luck with Paragon, as they always ship the day of the order or the next and generally takes 3 days to get to me 1000 miles away. Corvette Central can take 3-4 days to process the order. Paragon shipping charges are based on $$$ amount, rather than the size and weight of what is being shipped, which I find strange, but they've been good guys. I agree with Supreme-Deluxe, when I order I need it now and am willing to pay the tariff.

Tried to use my shipper accounts to pay for shipping, but only one vendor allowed that and they didn't carry a very large inventory. So, right now Paragon is my go-to supplier.

59BlueSilver 07-10-2019 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by morly1963 (Post 1599731071)
Keen-Very fair.
KeenParts

:iagree:

CrossedUp 07-11-2019 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by SupremeDeluxe (Post 1599729472)
I find that I order most from Paragon. Shipping is not cheap, but it's consistent

Paragon is up front about their shipping charges:

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e2cd9d050b.jpg

Ken Sungela 07-11-2019 07:41 AM

I Just received an order from paragon. $700 worth of stuff, but a relatively small box at 10#. It would have cost me $13.69 to ship :
ARRIVES ON
2 Business Days
2 Business Days
  • DELIVERED BY
    FedEx Ground®
    $13.69
I was charged $40.50 based on the chart above. I wasn't happy about it, but I knew the price up front. Fedex misrouted the package, so it took 5 days to get to me.:eek:

fake 07-11-2019 07:48 AM

Rock Auto is a second thought when i place a order from CT , but there prices are one half of the local boys and they will get the parts one way or another. The local boys like napa have slow web sites and ordering on line is a joke! Also Senior discounts are often given at OReilys if you beg for them but the Military discount is the best. It is to bad AC Delco products are getting harder to find with these Chines knock-offs!

67's 07-11-2019 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by 58n65 (Post 1599730828)
That's why I wait for Corvette America to offer Free Shipping for orders over $____. Can't hardly stand to buy a $100 worth of parts to pay $20+ for shipping.

A couple of times I called and asked if there was a discount, and they added a old one :rock:

Dreaming60’s 07-11-2019 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ken Sungela (Post 1599734949)
I Just received an order from paragon. $700 worth of stuff, but a relatively small box at 10#. It would have cost me $13.69 to ship :

ARRIVES ON
2 Business Days
2 Business Days
  • DELIVERED BY
    FedEx Ground®
    $13.69
I was charged $40.50 based on the chart above. I wasn't happy about it, but I knew the price up front. Fedex misrouted the package, so it took 5 days to get to me.:eek:

It happens and is unfortunate on delivery. Wait until you deal with a customer who paid overnight shipping and UPS or Fed-X has a weather delay or other excuse. When someone pays for overnight shipping they need it tomorrow and it gets sticky apologizing for the carrier.

I might have called on that $700 shipment to see if they would discount it. That's a pretty large order and I think they might have helped out. Mikes a pretty straight shooter.

None of my Paragon orders have been more than $300 so I lived with the shipping. Have a $250 order in route now.