CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Total front & rear wheel alignment (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4294359-total-front-and-rear-wheel-alignment.html)

Vette Ski 07-10-2019 05:24 PM

Total front & rear wheel alignment

SO,
So, how much have some of us paid for "total" front and rear alignment ??
Rich

budgreen3564 07-10-2019 08:29 PM

129.00 at dealer

Gearhead Jim 07-10-2019 08:38 PM

A truly "Total" front and rear alignment on a C7 also requires special tools to measure and set rear caster, that can't be done on an alignment machine. The Tech should hand-write the rear caster numbers on the machine printout of your settings when he's finished.
Most dealers don't have those tools, many of them don't even know that the C7 rear caster can be adjusted. You need to ask some detailed questions to find out, you really need to speak with the Tech who will be doing the work. Before they do anything.

The $129 figure for a normal 4 wheel alignment is reasonable, some places charge a bit more. For checking/setting rear caster, maybe another $30 more but that seems more variable.

budgreen3564 07-10-2019 08:49 PM

Firestone will do a lifetime alignment. Several years ago was 179.00 on ‘13 Z06. I think they have all the tools required

PatternDayTrader 07-10-2019 11:06 PM

Alignment work is pretty cheap. I wouldnt pay more than 200 bucks for all four wheels and perfect specs.

It should be noted that alignments on Corvettes are actually really easy compared to most cars. Everything is adjustable. Try adjusting caster on a front wheel drive car that pulls one way or the other. You can't really do it. You have to grind out the strut tower or loosen all the cradle bolts and try and prybar it one way or the other. A Corvette you just turn a bolt. Simple.

Bill Dearborn 07-11-2019 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by budgreen3564 (Post 1599733578)
Firestone will do a lifetime alignment. Several years ago was 179.00 on ‘13 Z06. I think they have all the tools required

Probably not. Very few shops have need for an adapter to hold an angle gauge to the rear knuckle of a C7 Corvette. Yes, there are ways to make and adapter and a saw blade angle gauge will work measuring rear caster but they more than likely never bother. Not worth their time or bother because the number of C7s coming in for an alignment is probably nil. They just tell people "Yeah, we can do that" and never do it.

Bill

wgood 07-12-2019 07:23 AM

I did all my 4 cars and my 2014 Z-51 I did last and after I had it 4 years there was no adjustment need so it was for free !!!! Wayne

hisvett 07-12-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599734448)
Probably not. Very few shops have need for an adapter to hold an angle gauge to the rear knuckle of a C7 Corvette. Yes, there are ways to make and adapter and a saw blade angle gauge will work measuring rear caster but they more than likely never bother. Not worth their time or bother because the number of C7s coming in for an alignment is probably nil. They just tell people "Yeah, we can do that" and never do it.

Bill

Right ON! Alignment techs only know what the alignment machine tells them and NONE of the current alignment machines at Firestone (or other shops) can read the Rear Caster angles.... so therefore, it must be OK! I use the lifetime alignment at Firestone myself but I gotten to know my tech very well. I have shown him what tools to buy and how to use them to check my rear caster and all my friends C7's that I send him....life is good.