CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   Parts identification (89 vette) (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4294481-parts-identification-89-vette.html)

~ Anno Domini 07-10-2019 11:38 PM

Parts identification (89 vette)

Greetings to all, just wondering what the name of the exterior side panels between the door glass and the rear glass are called ? I want to remove them (and the top strip if it comes off) and take them to a body shop for painting. They told me they would paint both sides and across the top where the rear break light casing is on the rear glass IF I could remove them and bring them to him. He will charge me $400-500 Canadian to sand them down and paint., but I remove them and put back on. Maybe not the best deal/price, but I don't know what they are called. I have been searching for instructions on how to remove them. Looks like I have to remove the interior seat belt bolts, but are these side panels bolted/glued on and is it a difficult task ? I know how to remove the brake lights up top. Thank you for any insight.

65Z01 07-10-2019 11:56 PM

Sounds like you are referring to the B-pillar or Halo. Not sure it "comes off"??

Why not just remove the WS, the hi brake light, tape & mask it all off and let him paint it on the car??

I would pull that damn brake light, degrease all and sand with 240 before taping/masking. Then all he need do is finish up masking & shoot it.

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 12:23 AM

That is a good idea, 65Z01. I'm going by memory, but I think there is some weatherstipping traveling down the side of the pillar (B-pillar or Halo as you mentioned, I have to research if those are what it's called), but maybe I can remove the WS. It looks like it stuffs into some metal rail that might be screwed on to the body. I can take those off and it may give more room to paint. There is some minor body work though (very small chips on both pillars at bottom) that he said needs to be sanded and filled on each lower pillar (where the back glass meets body when closed) and he said that's why he wants the pillar off and brought to him. I have to see if this pillar is difficult to remove. Easiest option would be your idea 65Z01. Harder option would be to disassemble and bring it to him. Thank you for the names, unless anyone else has the exterior side panel name and also info on removing them with be helpful.

Hot Rod Roy 07-11-2019 12:58 AM

The "B" pillar (Halo) is NOT removeable.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eee90d7282.jpg

Blackcorvette_85 07-11-2019 01:42 AM

Ya that is all one connected piece glued to the frame from the front of the door frame back to where the rear bumper starts, its not coming off Also the weather stripping is glued into those channels, only way to remove it is to destroy it and rip it out and then glue a new piece in after. Cool pic Hot Rod, hadn't seen that one before, crazy how much space there is in front of the motor .

ChumpVette 07-11-2019 08:04 AM

The Halo piece is removable. But you will destroy it getting it removed as it is bonded to the metal portion of the frame with adhesive.

BTW, find a new body shop. Depending upon where you are in Canada, I might have a referral for you.

Y-bodluvr 07-11-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by ~ Anno Domini (Post 1599734340)
IF I could remove them and bring them to him. He will charge me $400-500 Canadian to sand them down and paint., but I remove them and put back on. Maybe not the best deal/price.

No that’s defiantly a good deal :rolleyes:

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 09:27 AM

It seems the general concensus here is that the "B" pillar (Halo) is not removeable, OR if attempted to be removed it will be ruined. So it appears it stays on the be painted, which leads me to my next post. I am actually looking for a painter ChumpVette. I am near Vancouver, Canada, if you know any in this area. I will start a new post in regards to this. SALUTE for your help fellas !

ChumpVette 07-11-2019 09:49 AM

All my refs are in Ontario. Sorry.

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 09:59 AM

No worries, ChumpVette. Appreciate your input.

383vett 07-11-2019 10:43 AM

You could have it wrapped for minimal $$$.

AgentEran 07-11-2019 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by 383vett (Post 1599735904)
You could have it wrapped for minimal $$$.

Ive been getting quotes on my car for a wrap. About how much is this up there in the Bay?

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 07:24 PM

To be honest, I didn't know what getting a car wrapped was until I looked it up and then I remembered reading something about it in the past. I appreciate all input.