CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Warning- adhesive stalagtites cause bottoming damage over speed bumps (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4294521-warning-adhesive-stalagtites-cause-bottoming-damage-over-speed-bumps.html)

ffr1352 07-11-2019 07:42 AM

Warning- adhesive stalagtites cause bottoming damage over speed bumps

This may just be an issue for recently built cars ( mine was May this year) , but the adhesive apparently used to seal the floorboards to the frame was way over applied in several places resulting in 2 to 3 inch stalactites hanging on my undercarriage essentially removing 2-3 inches of ground clearance. You know those spots on the road where you see scrape marks from cars... one of them was mine while slowly pulling out of a parking garage from a flat area to a steep ramp. The dry adhesive is hard like JB Weld and thus I used an orbital sander with 40 grit paper to remove the 4 stalactites. Please GM, better quality control at your plant ( is this what we get when closed to plant tours so owners can't also watch the assembly process to keep workers honest? : ) .

AlexM 07-11-2019 07:51 AM

:worthlessnopics:

dvilin 07-11-2019 08:32 AM

:rant: Hope you feel better now and thanks for letting us know the real reason why GM closes the plant to tours. lol

Vetteman Jack 07-11-2019 10:50 AM

A real stretch as to why plant tours are closed for now (couldn’t be the pending C8 intro), but it is strange that they would apply that much sealant. Glad you found the problem on your car and was able to fix it yourself.

blackedgs 07-12-2019 01:00 AM

I also have one of these hanging under my car. I had no idea what it was but it’s hard. Can I cut it off? Or does it have to be sanded? My stalactite is like 3” long. Will it just eventually break off or do I need to cut it off?

blackedgs 07-12-2019 09:17 AM

Bump

AlexM 07-12-2019 11:27 AM

Can you post pictures of it?

ffr1352 07-13-2019 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by blackedgs (Post 1599740733)
I also have one of these hanging under my car. I had no idea what it was but it’s hard. Can I cut it off? Or does it have to be sanded? My stalactite is like 3” long. Will it just eventually break off or do I need to cut it off?

I would take it to the dealer and have them remove it as you don't want to damage the car yourself trying to fix it, and the factory should know there is a problem. I have seen where corvettes are totaled from minor undercarriage frame damage and would hate to have the stalactite hitting a speed bump or whatever be the cause . I used an orbital sander as it was easy and safe where a saw or another method might result in a slip and then damage to the underside.

c54u 07-13-2019 12:42 PM

I had these on my 2007 C6. They appeared twice in the first two years I had the car and all I did was take pliers to them and bent them and cut them off.

Done!

:cheers:

Steve_R 07-13-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by blackedgs (Post 1599740733)

Cut them off with wire cutters. Don’t overthink it.

SnowyATX 07-13-2019 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by c54u (Post 1599748574)
I had these on my 2007 C6. They appeared twice in the first two years I had the car and all I did was take pliers to them and bent them and cut them off.

Done!

:cheers:

The floor-board fluid is leaking out :cool:

Seriously, my C6 had them too, haven't noticed them as bad on my C7's.

Avanti 07-13-2019 04:09 PM

Just think where all the rest of the extra goop went that you cannot see!

Simply more of the same-ol' from GM. Had they known about it, I'm sure they could have labelled it some sort of option and charged extra. Perhaps, some sort of aero-feature or analog warning device. :yesnod:

proexpert 07-13-2019 10:03 PM

So glad to hear nothing has changed in 18 years in Kentucky. Photo of my 2001 Z06 door trim. Was special goop option from BG speds.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...7db8552eec.jpg