CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion-34/)
-   -   89 vette bubbles in paint advice (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-general-discussion/4294572-89-vette-bubbles-in-paint-advice.html)

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 09:53 AM

89 vette bubbles in paint advice

Salute my friends, I am near Vancouver, Canada looking for a body shop to repair both rear body panels (not the bumper). Here is a short version of a long story: In 2006 someone hit the rear of the car cracking the body (up top) to the right of the gas tank lid. A typical body shop did the repair. Over the years that repair broke apart and the paint seperated from the body. I still have the receipt from 2006 and went to that same bodyshop yesterday. They said they would warranty and repair it which is good, but here's problem. Since 2006 tiny bubbles have formed in both rear quarter panels under the paint. So I suggested to the bodyshop that while they do their warranty I would pay them to sand down the paint to get rid of the the bubbles and then they paint again. They said they would, but they could not garantee the bubbles won't come back, which is understandable. Anyway, I was hoping to save money because of the warranty repair, but I am not sure they will use the right products and the bubbles will return. So do I take a chance, or look for another bodyshop is the question ? Thank you for your advice and insight......or a body shop near Vancouver.

Joe C 07-11-2019 12:54 PM

bubbles in the paint can be caused by several factors. the first thing you need to do is educate yourself so when you're talking with the body shop, they don't have you at a disadvantage. google can be your friend here - try "automotive paint problems bubbles." if bubbles appeared sometime after the repair, I wouldn't think is moisture related, or solvent pop in general, but gassing due to a chemical reaction or contamination of products. I've done some painting, but anything I can tell you is second guessing. as far as what to do, personally, if the original body shop will back their work, make them fix it, and take you chances. you might try posting this over on body and paint forum, and address forum member DUB. he has a massive amount of knowledge, and experience with corvette paint and body work in general. good luck - :rock:

Fiberbundle 07-11-2019 01:08 PM

I agree with JoeC on making sure you can deal with them from an educated perspective. Also many shops still think Corvettes are fiberglass and not SMC so they continue to use repair products that are intended for fiberglass and not SMC panels. This too can lead to paint issues, cracking from different rates of thermal expansion, etc. Non Corvette shops continue to use wet sanding for prep work and this is not recommended due to water retention leading to paint bubbles often a long time after the repair. Drying panels not sealed where water has had a change to penetrate can take a long time to effectively eliminate all moisture.
The paint and body section will be your friend.

~ Anno Domini 07-11-2019 01:16 PM

I appreciate the advice guys......salute !

~ Anno Domini 08-03-2019 12:18 PM

UPDATE: I brought the car to the bodyshop for the warranty repair on right rear quarter panel (see original post). Nice guys doing the warranty, but they said they wanted an extra $800 Canadian to sand down the bubbles. After doing some research and visiting some local bodyshops who said best thing to do to get rid of the bubbles is sand right down to the fiberglass (SMC ?) and start again, I declined to pay the $800 and just ask the bodyshop to repair the crack and repaint the right rear quarter panel to fulfill their warranty. My thinking is that IF I try to eliminate the bubbles in the future let's try to do it right. Anyway, long story short the bodyshop repaired the crack and repainted the right rea quarter panel and to my suprise the majority of the bubbles are gone. I guess they sanded some of the bubble down in the process of their repair. It's an 80% improvement. Who knows how long it will last, but it's a pleasant suprise for free. Thank you for reading.

hcbph 08-04-2019 11:13 AM

Glad it's better though sorry it's not as good as it was. Hope the repair holds.

~ Anno Domini 08-05-2019 10:19 AM

Thank you hcbph, yea it appears when they warranty repaired the crack near the gas lid they sanded down the bubbles under the paint. The right rear quarter panel is definitely improved compared to before they started. I hope it will last too. My '89 is 30 years old now. Wow, they are getting old ! Thank you for reading.