CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Z06 Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion-170/)
-   -   Chasing Viper ACR at Watkins Glen (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/4294588-chasing-viper-acr-at-watkins-glen.html)

Bigg Slimm 07-11-2019 10:38 AM

Chasing Viper ACR at Watkins Glen

I was at Watkins Glen over the July 4th holiday with Chin. This was my second time at the track, therefore I'm still learning the lines and where to carry more speed.

I just finished doing a cool down lap and thought I would follow an ACR Viper. I have a 300lb passenger in the car, he is the voice you hear commentating 🤪

This is Chin's advanced group.

Boba Fett 07-11-2019 12:44 PM

fckn awesome! great driving. Keeping up with an ACR is no ez task. great driving

Ive owned both, def faster in my ACR but preferred the Z for the streets

Spitfire Mk1 07-11-2019 01:10 PM

So well done. Awesome driving with a heavy passenger, no less. Miss driving on the Glen.

Svtracer14 07-11-2019 01:16 PM

Very impressive driving. The ACR is no joke.

Dougpaper 07-11-2019 01:20 PM

Nice job

Bigg Slimm 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

Thanks all:cool:

Z06_Ruff 07-11-2019 02:50 PM

Very nice driving, man. Good stuff. I love watching vids like this. Thanks for sharing.

Road machine 07-11-2019 02:52 PM

Great driving....I was there too...well 10 miles north on the lake at my lake house.

bbc=540 07-11-2019 05:20 PM

Enjoyed that video for sure! ... and the commentating too! :rock:

Bill Dearborn 07-11-2019 05:22 PM

Good lap times. Next time try using 4th gear thru the bus stop and down the chute into 6th. I don't think there is any need to use 3rd there. 4th allows the driver to control the car better by reducing torque extremes and also lets driver get on the throttle sooner coming out of the bus stop. When heading down the chute into T6 don't track out all the way to the right side of the track. Come in about one car width from the right side as the track is cambered a little more in that area and the camber helps you make the turn and get on the power sooner coming out of the turn. Might get yourself a 2:03 or 2:02. Everything really looked good. Basically the same lines I use although I am not getting the speed you do on the back straight. I hit 142 at the track out point of T4 which is about the same as you but your car gains speed faster from there and can use 5th gear to get above 150. When I hit 5th the car basically hits the same speed I hit if I stay in 4th or about 150 to 152 at the braking point for the bus stop.

Are you running the Stage 3 Aero or Stage 2? I am running the Stage 3 with the rear wicker bill up all the way and if you are running Stage 2 that might explain my high speed struggle above 140.

Bill

Pacembellum 07-11-2019 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599738466)
Good lap times. Next time try using 4th gear thru the bus stop and down the chute into 6th. I don't think there is any need to use 3rd there. 4th allows the driver to control the car better by reducing torque extremes and also lets driver get on the throttle sooner coming out of the bus stop. When heading down the chute into T6 don't track out all the way to the right side of the track. Come in about one car width from the right side as the track is cambered a little more in that area and the camber helps you make the turn and get on the power sooner coming out of the turn. Might get yourself a 2:03 or 2:02. Everything really looked good. Basically the same lines I use although I am not getting the speed you do on the back straight. I hit 142 at the track out point of T4 which is about the same as you but your car gains speed faster from there and can use 5th gear to get above 150. When I hit 5th the car basically hits the same speed I hit if I stay in 4th or about 150 to 152 at the braking point for the bus stop.

Are you running the Stage 3 Aero or Stage 2? I am running the Stage 3 with the rear wicker bill up all the way and if you are running Stage 2 that might explain my high speed struggle above 140.

Bill

Bill do you have any mods? I run full stage 3 aero and an automatic with stage 1 can’t pull away from me at all. Maybe at 140+ but my tracks don’t go that fast. I have borla x pipe and a bms filter. Tested it multiple times on a track.

Bigg Slimm 07-11-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599738466)

Bill

Again, thanks everyone.

Bill, I only have stage 1 aero, my c7z is a base 1lz.

I plan to go back to Watkins Glen during labor day with Chin. With cooler temps, no passenger, more committment up the esses, turn 10 and 11 I'm hoping for a 2.00.

I will definitely try using 4th thru the bus stop and turn 6. I'm sure it will help getting back to throttle sooner based on the reasons you mentioned.

This track is becoming one of my favorites.

VirginiaAgent 07-11-2019 07:18 PM

That....was bad ass.

Racingswh 07-11-2019 08:52 PM

Heard the Vipers were out in force? Also heard and saw from your vid there was a good bit of traffic.

Nice driving! Looks like you were having a bunch of fun out there which is awesome and why we do it! I will be there next weekend. Hope it's weather like you had in your video. Thanks for sharing that!

Basil2000 07-11-2019 09:57 PM

Great video. Thanks for posting. Been watching a ton of YouTube videos. I will be at the glen this Monday and Tuesday (15&16) with SCDA. This is my first time at the glen and driving with this group.
Bill, do you have a link to any of your videos from the glen? I would love to see what your line is. I have new pads and 2 sets of new cup 2 tires ready to go. I’m beyond pumped. Looks like good weather. Staying at the harbor hotel for the week with my wife. (Without the kids). Wooohoooo

f1reb1rd 07-11-2019 10:12 PM

that was one cool video

Newton06 07-11-2019 10:21 PM

Nice driving.!

Odd to see such a speed disparity in a Chin Advanced run group.

I've instructed with Chin @ VIR & found their advanced/instructor run groups wickedly fast.

Bigg Slimm 07-11-2019 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Racingswh (Post 1599739618)
Heard the Vipers were out in force? Also heard and saw from your vid there was a good bit of traffic.

Nice driving! Looks like you were having a bunch of fun out there which is awesome and why we do it! I will be there next weekend. Hope it's weather like you had in your video. Thanks for sharing that!

Yea, the advanced run group had at least 4 Viper ACRs. Most of them were modified. Ralph Gilles was there with his ACR.

The advanced run group didnt have much traffic. From what I was told the intermediate run group was busy.

Actually the weather started out not so kind. The entire morning of the first day was wet. After lunch it was clear skies and hot the remainder of the event.

Mr. Gizmo 07-11-2019 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Slimm (Post 1599735868)
C7z and Viper ACR at Watkins Glen

I was at Watkins Glen over the July 4th holiday with Chin. This was my second time at the track, therefore I'm still learning the lines and where to carry more speed.

I just finished doing a cool down lap and thought I would follow an ACR Viper. I have a 300lb passenger in the car, he is the voice you hear commentating 🤪

This is Chin's advanced group.

Lose the 300lb guy doing all the commentary and I think you would have caught up to and passed the viper on the straights.

Savoy2001 07-11-2019 11:19 PM

That was any awesome video. Great driving and you hung with that viper like a champion. Was fantastic to watch.