CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Do you remember the C7.... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4294647-do-you-remember-the-c7.html)

RonnieC6Z 07-11-2019 12:37 PM

Do you remember the C7....

Do you remember the C7 when months before the reveal Jalopnik released drawings of what the car would look like? It seemed to me that the entire planet was up in arms. No more round tail lights! The back end looked awful! Way too much Camaro looks. Does not look like a Corvette! Finally the car was revealed, we saw real photos, and finally saw the car in person and had the opportunity to drive one. The result was that the C7 was a big time hit, and most of us who bitched had a change of heart. So for those who have concluded that the back end and/or the side scoops on the C8 just don't cut the mustard, why not put those thoughts on hold until the opportunity arises to see the car up close and personal. And as far as dissing a Corvette with a mid engine, just go drive a mid engine car and see if you have a change of heart. My C7 is my 11th Corvette. I have also owned mid engine cars such as a Porsche Boxster S and 2 Ferraris. That being said, I welcome the mid engine C8 with open arms. My guess is that the C8 will be a smash hit and will out sell every previous generation.

ATC399 07-11-2019 12:40 PM

Lets hope you are right..

WalterSobchak 07-11-2019 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z (Post 1599736634)
Do you remember the C7 when months before the reveal Jalopnik released drawings of what the car would look like? It seemed to me that the entire planet was up in arms. No more round tail lights! The back end looked awful! Way too much Camaro looks. Does not look like a Corvette! Finally the car was revealed, we saw real photos, and finally saw the car in person and had the opportunity to drive one. The result was that the C7 was a big time hit, and most of us who bitched had a change of heart. So for those who have concluded that the back end and/or the side scoops on the C8 just don't cut the mustard, why not put those thoughts on hold until the opportunity arises to see the car up close and personal. And as far as dissing a Corvette with a mid engine, just go drive a mid engine car and see if you have a change of heart. My C7 is my 11th Corvette. I have also owned mid engine cars such as a Porsche Boxster S and 2 Ferraris. That being said, I welcome the mid engine C8 with open arms. My guess is that the C8 will be a smash hit and will out sell every previous generation.

A voice of reason!

tcinla 07-11-2019 01:32 PM

I didn't have a corvette when the C7 was introduced but I do remember the tail light controversy as it pervaded the news / social media. At first I bought into the "it's not traditional" nonsense but, ultimately, it grew on me and one day, I had one of my very own.

I wonder how may of the Current naysayers will have a change of heart when they realize their preference is not going to change the design...

ArmchairArchitect 07-11-2019 01:37 PM

It's not about having a purist design (round tail lights), it's about having a good design.

And for the C7, many would still agree to this day the car on the whole looks fantastic, especially the front and sides, but the rear end is still the weak point and not widely considered good looking like the other parts of the car (except on perhaps the wide body cars where it looks better).

Steve Garrett 07-11-2019 01:38 PM

Thanks Ronnie...and yes, a voice of reason.

It sounds like the Corvette community did this with more than just the C7 release. Why isn't anyone saying that the Camaro's tail looks like a Corvette instead???

We have 7 more days, boys.....you'll survive.

RedMercy 07-11-2019 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tcinla (Post 1599737011)
I didn't have a corvette when the C7 was introduced but I do remember the tail light controversy as it pervaded the news / social media. At first I bought into the "it's not traditional" nonsense but, ultimately, it grew on me and one day, I had one of my very own.

I wonder how may of the Current naysayers will have a change of heart when they realize their preference is not going to change the design...

Change that profile picture, every time you comment I read it with Mr. Burns voice lol

marknagy13 07-11-2019 01:42 PM

I 100% agree. Same thing with the Camaro. from 5th gen to 6th gen, so many people (including myself) hated the slimmer look and weird back end, but after a while it grew on me and I actually like it so much better now.
(not including the 6th gen refreshed front end...) LOL

Atari_Prime 07-11-2019 01:42 PM

Really, big time hit? Shortest Corvette generation since 67'. Middling sales numbers. Styling still hated by half of the Corvette audience. Overheating issues. Sure, we can call that a hit...

68roadster 07-11-2019 01:42 PM

You have to take risks to achieve greatness. I hope GM delivers, and I expect they will. Think about C6 from C5. Many people were saying, Meh, C5.5.

I suppose this could be CX and just skip all the numbers up to 10 if they deliver on our expectations.

Foosh 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

Most of the critics will flip-flop. I agree it will completely replicate what was seen here with regard to the C7 rear end and tail lights. I initially didn't care for them either, but now the rear 3/4 view of the C7 is my favorite.

It's a common characteristic of both animals and humans humans to dislike, be uncomfortable with, and/or express disdain for new and unfamiliar things. When they become more familiar with them, they completely change their view.

Professional designers of all things understand this phenomenon well.

Atari_Prime 07-11-2019 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by marknagy13 (Post 1599737081)
I 100% agree. Same thing with the Camaro. from 5th gen to 6th gen, so many people (including myself) hated the slimmer look and weird back end, but after a while it grew on me and I actually like it so much better now.
(not including the 6th gen refreshed front end...) LOL

If it has to grow on you, you are just convincing yourself that something that is ugly, isn't.

tomlink 07-11-2019 01:45 PM

Your post is entirely too reasonable, rational and logical to be part of the Corvette Forum C8 Section. You are hereby banned for life! :D :cheers:

Foosh 07-11-2019 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Atari_Prime (Post 1599737096)
If it has to grow on you, you are just convincing yourself that something that is ugly, isn't.

What did you think the first time you took a sip of beer or wine? Tastes on all things change. Most styles perceived as beautiful 2-3-4 decades ago, look silly or bad today. It's not matter of convincing oneself of anything. It's just human nature.

tcinla 07-11-2019 01:50 PM

Exxxxxxcelllennnnttt.

Originally Posted by RedMercy (Post 1599737076)
Change that profile picture, every time you comment I read it with Mr. Burns voice lol

Corgidog1 07-11-2019 01:57 PM

There ain’t no manual trans, there ain’t no manual trans, there ain’t no manual trans, etc,etc,etc, and I ain’t waitin for the reveal to complain that there ain’t no manual trans!

Atari_Prime 07-11-2019 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1599737106)
What did you think the first time you took a sip of beer or wine? Tastes on all things change. Most styles perceived as beautiful 2-3-4 decades ago, look silly or bad today. It's not matter of convincing oneself of anything. It's just human nature.

Still not really a fan of either. Tastes don't change, only perception to those tastes. It's the culture around things that creates their identity. Take 'beer' as an example. Given the choice of water or beer, a caveman is going to choose water. However, throw in the fact that water may be contaminated with parasites, not to mention the nice funny feeling you get after you drink a lot of beer, and all of a sudden you have an 'acquired taste'. Still tastes like poo, but you crave the other attributes that come with it. It's the basis of addiction, no one 'craves' meth, they crave the feeling that comes with it. Even one of my favorites, hot wings, fall victim to this same scenario. Vinegar is smelly and nasty, but it is a core ingredient in hot wings. And the first time I tried them I hated them, but over time I saw past all the bad and started to crave the hidden sweetness and spice. Still poo, but created a lie around the bad to get to the good. And that is the C7. It's boring in the front and ugly in the back, and nothing will change that. Some people like it because that disjointed mess of a rear has an angry almost Darth Vader like expression and they want that angry look so much that they see past the mess that is the rear of the car. Some people are such fans of Corvette that they can't believe that any Corvette is bad looking, and so when Tadge says this is pretty, despite their better judgment they fall in line. You know when something is beauiful, and you know when something is ugly, and if you find yourself having to let it grow on you, that's the same as drinking a few more at the bar to try and convince yourself that the toothless girl who's interested isn't that bad looking. Its all just the lies we tell ourselves to get the result we want.

RapidC84B 07-11-2019 02:03 PM

FWIW it wasn't months... it was nearly 2 years early. The Jalopnik article was 2011 and the car revealed 1/13/13.

Foosh 07-11-2019 02:05 PM

Something tells me GM is going to be both surprised and upset at how much backlash they get because of that. I'm counting on it. :cheers:

I know a lot of people will decide to go ahead and settle for the DCT even though it would not be their first choice, and they will eventually get bored with it (been there done that), and that's if it's a great one. If it's not every bit as good as the PDK, it's going to be very bad.

No comment on your "analysis" Atari, but after receiving a PhD in Social Psychology and as a Psych Professor in my first job, I have to give you a D+. It matters not what you thought of something the first time you saw it. All that matters is how you perceive it once you're familiar with it.

Warp Factor 07-11-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Foosh (Post 1599737094)
Most of the critics will flip-flop. I agree it will completely replicate what was seen here with regard to the C7 rear end and tail lights. I initially didn't care for them either, but now the rear 3/4 view of the C7 is my favorite.

Same here. Took me until '17 to like the C7 enough to buy a Z06. By then, I really really really liked it!

Originally Posted by Corgidog1 (Post 1599737186)
There ain’t no manual trans, there ain’t no manual trans, there ain’t no manual trans, etc,etc,etc, and I ain’t waitin for the reveal to complain that there ain’t no manual trans!

Ain't no spare tire either. Ain't a real car without a spare tire. And a manual parking brake.