CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C4 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance-48/)
-   -   Flat or dish (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c4-tech-performance/4294715-flat-or-dish.html)

mlm0 07-11-2019 03:07 PM

Flat or dish

After a ton or research, I still do not have a positive answer. Does my 1989 corvette in stock condition have flat or dish pistons and If you know for certainty, do you also know the piston dome cc?

i am trying to do some calculations for a possible build and I need this information

thanks in advance to whom ever can provide it

Mike

mtwoolford 07-11-2019 11:51 PM

you're research may turn up something different, but my research, along with actually looking at Chevy pistons of that era, suggest a (inverted dome aka dish) of minus 5 c.c.s, mostly from the four "eyebrow" cuts for valve reliefs. Aftermarket piston are available that are true "flat tops" with only two valve reliefs.

what are your goals (presumably) compression wise?

mlm0 07-12-2019 12:05 AM

I’m shooting for 10 to 1.

my research told me everything from dish to flat and 6 cc to 18 cc. I was hoping someone on the forum actually had an 89 and saw what kind of pistons they had so I would know for sure. From what I can find out different years had different pistons. I had my heads off a couple of years ago and I took pictures of everything, but now I cannot find them and I can’t remember for sure what they were

65Z01 07-12-2019 01:49 AM

Web pics show flat top with 4 valve reliefs.

cv67 07-12-2019 03:14 AM

call a piston mfr. at0 deck falt top youd be lucky to get a real 10:1 which isnr much
Build plans?

mlm0 07-12-2019 07:22 AM

I just need to know exactly what I currently have without putting a head to check. I need to know so I can determine what I am going to buy for improvement in performance.

Pwnage1337 07-12-2019 07:24 AM

Stick a bore scope in a spark plug hole?

mlm0 07-12-2019 08:56 AM

Great idea. Never thought of that. Will pick one up today

vader86 07-12-2019 10:36 AM

Should be flat with valve reliefs cut in. I used to know the size of the relief but have forgotten, but it should be available in a search on the compression or pistons of 1989. There were minor tweaks in later L98s.

dizwiz24 07-13-2019 05:11 PM

My 93 had flat tops with 4 half valve reliefs cut into them

cardo0 07-13-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by mlm0 (Post 1599741091)
I just need to know exactly what I currently have without putting a head to check. I need to know so I can determine what I am going to buy for improvement in performance.

This a good experience for anyone doing a performance build/rebuild. You shouldn't be ordering parts until you have the block machine work done. Don't order pistons until the block is bored, decked and the head chambers are measured with liquid. And the last item to select/purchase is the cam. I wouldn't even buy rocker arms until everything was measured. To be precise you would need pistons to get the block decked accurately but you can calculate for a final deck height to select pistons. Maybe gaskets and seals but no reason to buy them early as plenty of sbc gasket kits on the part stores shelf.

Granted you most likely want a target cam or target cam duration to work with the drive line you have. But this target duration cam would no way be final. You will want to match the compression ratio for that cam so this is where the measurements and piston selection is required.

So what I'm saying is while parts shopping is part of the fun it's easy to get ahead of yourself. Myself I try to avoid a large dish piston but the cylinder head chambers are mostly what determine what you can use to make your target c.r. for your target cam duration. You may be surprised as I was to see how much the block deck height can make a difference in the final c.r.. Head gasket compressed height with different cylinder diameters are significant too.

FWIW I like to use 2 or more c.r./d.c.r. calculators to check my work and there are plenty of them on-line so it goes faster the more you crunch the numbers.

That's enough for me and hope it was for you to. :)

89dd 07-13-2019 08:25 PM

Flat with valve reliefs.

corvette_bob 07-18-2019 12:05 PM

FWIW, most guys I know don’t use dished pistons unless there are specific reasons for them. The reason being is for achieving a proper quench for the exhaust. Try to get a good zero deck with your pistons at TDC, and, if you can, use a piston that will
get the compression ratio in the range you want. If flat tops make too much compression, there are pistons that are dished only on the combustion chamber side to provide quench as needed.
Best of luck on the build. I hope I’ve helped.

mlm0 07-18-2019 12:23 PM

I just used bore scope not more then 15 mins ago and found I have dish pistons I have included a photo. I now need to find out what cc they are
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...fa0076f62.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...c1ed3334f.jpeg

28uniflite 07-18-2019 01:11 PM

Here's a picture of my stock '89 from when I did a head gasket replacement this past winter.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...30796e6e70.jpg

mlm0 07-18-2019 01:23 PM

Same as mine. Do you happen to know the piston volume?

28uniflite 07-18-2019 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by mlm0 (Post 1599779159)
Same as mine. Do you happen to know the piston vacuum?

Sorry, I do not

mtwoolford 07-18-2019 02:17 PM

In your contemplated build are you planning on reusing the stock pistons? If your possible build includes new pistons, most aftermarket pistons have known / published volumes. Head gasket thickness, and most important, combustion chamber volume are also variables to be considered.

mlm0 07-18-2019 02:30 PM

Not sure what I’m going to do. Engine only had 50,000 on it. I just want to add some performance. I have all measurements exact stock piston cc volume

mtwoolford 07-18-2019 10:51 PM

Does your engine burn oil? Absent something unexpected, at 50,000 miles the engine should be in pretty good shape and, money wise rebuilding the lower end might not yield the most bang for the buck. There's a ton of members here that can offer great advice concerning heads, cam, exhaust, etc for your L98.