CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 Tech (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech-1/)
-   -   Battery Suggestions (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-tech/4294848-battery-suggestions.html)

GlenE 07-11-2019 08:36 PM

Battery Suggestions

Hello All

I need a battery for my 03. Been searching and haven't seen too much in the way of suggested brands. I did see that most move to the Group 78 from the 75. The Vette is not a daily, only driven occasionally for trips and shows. It is always on a Battery Tender when parked in the garage. I went to a local battery specialty shop. They carry a variety of brands. AC Delco AGM is the lowest cost with a 3 year replacement warranty. Optima with 3 year replacement (have all color tops, I assume Red Top is best for starting). Last is the Northstar. I have read a lot of good reviews on Northstar. Was told engineers from Odyssey started Northstar. Seems like a very high quality battery from reviews. Only down side, cost is waaaay up there!

Any thoughts on these and recommendations on any others? Need to pick one up this weekend so hoping to get some good feedback.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cutlassmaster 07-11-2019 10:20 PM

I've used the 78 agm from advance. Usually with a 25% off and a $20 off coupon I get it for about $130ish. Have that agm in all my vehicles and have not had any issues. Seems like most of them only have a 3 year.

bc6152 07-11-2019 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by GlenE (Post 1599739530)
Hello All

I need a battery for my 03. Been searching and haven't seen too much in the way of suggested brands. I did see that most move to the Group 78 from the 75. The Vette is not a daily, only driven occasionally for trips and shows. It is always on a Battery Tender when parked in the garage. I went to a local battery specialty shop. They carry a variety of brands. AC Delco AGM is the lowest cost with a 3 year replacement warranty. Optima with 3 year replacement (have all color tops, I assume Red Top is best for starting). Last is the Northstar. I have read a lot of good reviews on Northstar. Was told engineers from Odyssey started Northstar. Seems like a very high quality battery from reviews. Only down side, cost is waaaay up there!

Any thoughts on these and recommendations on any others? Need to pick one up this weekend so hoping to get some good feedback.

Thanks in advance for the help.

For a car that's driven only occasionally - like mine - I don't see the need for an expensive battery like an AGM. Mine went south about 6 months ago and I just replaced it with a Costco Interstate. Cost me about $75.00 and I also keep it on a tender when it sits. And Costco doubles the warranty...Save your money, no need to spend $2-300. for a car battery.

GlenE 07-11-2019 10:32 PM

Thanks for the input. Do you have any concerns about a traditional battery "leaking" and causing problems with the components under the tray?

bc6152 07-11-2019 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by GlenE (Post 1599740204)
Thanks for the input. Do you have any concerns about a traditional battery "leaking" and causing problems with the components under the tray?

I can only cite my own experiences and that is that I've been driving for almost 60 years and have owned many, many, cars. I have never ever had one with a leaky battery. Now probably some one will chime in with a horror story about a defective battery and that's to say it can happen. If I had real concerns about my 1998 Corvette I would have spent the additional money and not installed a conventional battery. Good Luck with whatever you decide my friend...

Bill Curlee 07-12-2019 10:31 AM

The AC Delco Batteries that GM used for our cars had an issue with the POS & NEG battery post leaking between the case and post. That where the LEAKEY battery stories come from. The New after market batteries don't leak.

Any battery that you get should have close to the required RESERVE CAPICITY (120 AMP/HR) the C5 needs to properly feed the BCM in sleep mode. That's where the group 78 and more expense comes from.

Bill

GlenE 07-12-2019 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee (Post 1599742018)
The AC Delco Batteries that GM used for our cars had an issue with the POS & NEG battery post leaking between the case and post. That where the LEAKEY battery stories come from. The New after market batteries don't leak.

Any battery that you get should have close to the required RESERVE CAPICITY (120 AMP/HR) the C5 needs to properly feed the BCM in sleep mode. That's where the group 78 and more expense comes from.

Bill

Thanks Bill, good info!

bc6152 07-12-2019 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by GlenE (Post 1599742069)
Thanks Bill, good info!

Well you received some good input here with your question. I didn't know about the C5 original GM AC/Delco batteries leaking but good to know that subsequent batteries DON'T leak...

GlenE 07-12-2019 10:19 PM

Is anyone familiar with Advanced Auto Parts batteries? These are the AutoCraft brand. One is their Platinum AGM for $200 and the other is the Gold for $165. The Gold has 800CCA vs the AGM @ 740CCA. AGM has 115 min RC and Gold is 110 min RC. Both have 3 year replacement warranties.

I have a 25% off code. Which would be the preferred one to go with? Going by previous information, the Gold would be the go to due to cost.

Any other thoughts?

The Optima Red Top is $243. Max discount is $50 so down to $193.

50thz06 07-12-2019 10:48 PM

I'll toss in my 2 cents: Whichever battery you decide to get, I suggest checking the date code on the battery before you purchase it. A while back I bought a battery for one of my work vehicles and wasn't paying attention and after I installed it, I noticed the date code was about 9 months old. Batteries basically start aging from the day they are made, so just a suggestion to pick out the freshest one of the bunch whichever you decide to go with. Of course, any battery can last forever and any battery can be trash shortly. Just take care of them, cause if you ever run one dead, they are never the same after that. At least, that is my experience.

Bill Curlee 07-12-2019 10:49 PM

Im about to purchase that same GOLD battery

I have the AGM in our 11 Grand Sport. What is the 25% off code???

Make sure that you look at the battery date code and get something that was recently made.

Bill

Cutlassmaster 07-12-2019 11:55 PM

RMN25 is the code that I believe is good till end of the year. If you have a speed perks coupon you can also use that too. Buy online pick up in store.

GUSTO14 07-13-2019 01:03 AM

In years past I have used and had great service from EXIDE AGM's in a variety of vehicles. Most have lasted for 10 years or more. Their AGM batteries were referred to as the Orbital's. Exide when through a reorganization and they are now offering an AGM again, it's called the EDGE. Unfortunately I couldn't find anyone in my area that carried them when my last one went so I purchased an Interstate AGM.for my 2000 Hardtop.

It is an Interstate MT7-75DT
- 48 Month Free Replacement
- 715 CCA (Cold Cranking Amps)
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/b...,A~Part+Number

It's been in the car for about 5 years now and has performed flawlessly... Just over $200, and other than the Green top, I have nothing to complain about.

I've recently seen that Home Depot is carrying the Exide Edge. I will certainly check them out the next time I need one.

If you think that a leaking lead acid battery is not a concern for your C5, just do a search here and in the General Forum. The leak is insidious and typically the leak is discovered only after significant damage has already occurred.

Good luck... GUSTO

Josephu 07-13-2019 09:15 AM

Duracell at Batteries+Bulbs. Ultra Gold is about $115. 115 reserve capacity,,, 800 cold cranking amps. Its all that I use anymore.

Cutlassmaster 07-13-2019 10:20 AM

Pep boys is also doing 25% off and has one AGM that has 120 reserve and higher crank amp. Then they have 2 other standard batteries with better specs.
Bosch Battery Group, Size 78

Part#: 78-770BAGM $147
Or. 78DT770B $120
Or. 78-770B $120

Antigravity 07-13-2019 01:57 PM

As an FYI.... we are a site sponsor, and we make Lithium-Ion Starter Batteries for Hi-Performance Vehicles..

While this may not be for everyone and is a bit more expensive if offers some advance benefits such as Built-In Wireless Jump Starting so you will never be stranded with a dead battery issues. The battery actually puts itself to sleep just before being completely discharged and saves enough reserve capacity to start the car again... just press the provided keyfob.

Additonally they have a lifespan of 8-10 years.... and they weight from 12 to 16 lbs for a massive weightloss, while having twice the cranking amps of Lead/Acid Batteries. They also have a full battery management system that keeps the battery safe and makes for the longest life by protecting the battery form over-discharge, over-charger and short circuit protections...

You can see them here... https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...tive/ag-h6-rs/

sailmaster 07-14-2019 12:17 PM

advance gold

I just replaced a 7 year old advance auto gold battery with another advance gold battery. After shopping around ,the gold came out on top. Really happy

Mickeyrx70 07-14-2019 03:12 PM

Although batteries aren’t as likely to leak nowadays, you might still consider using an acid absorbing/neutralizing mat. They’re cheap insurance.