CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 Tech/Performance (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance-169/)
-   -   Brake Fluid moisture tester (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-tech-performance/4294861-brake-fluid-moisture-tester.html)

Marcho Polo 07-11-2019 09:31 PM

Brake Fluid moisture tester

1 Attachment(s)
Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they accurate? Waste of time?

Attachment 48303644

f1reb1rd 07-11-2019 10:02 PM

might be a neat tool but all brake fluid will absorb some moisture and suck up some dirt. i myself always look at the fluid and if its dark i just replace it with new. it never hurts to keep your fluid clean.

buckeye4 07-12-2019 12:51 AM

I have that exact model, used it last week on my 2 year old DOT4........showed green and fluid did not look dark. EZ to use.

Ratboy 07-12-2019 01:19 AM

Not sure you really need one.Brake fluid changes color as it absorbs moisture. When its not clear, change it.:shrug:

dbaker 07-12-2019 06:14 AM

Agree with above.Unless it's colored,most BF's ( and clutch)look like ginger ale when clean.

\db2

BrunoTheMellow 07-12-2019 03:43 PM

How are you going to test the moisture at the calipers? The brake fluid won't be consistent from reservoir down to calipers. It doesn't circulate and mix.

3X2 07-13-2019 04:33 PM

I have one. Some of the track day tech forms I sign off on want a moisture % number written on the form.

JerryU 07-13-2019 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo (Post 1599739896)
Has anyone ever used one of these? Are they accurate? Waste of time?

Attachment 48303644

Yep, it measures resistance and probably fairly accurate. I saw one on Amazon for $10 and then the same one from China (where no doubt the one on Amazon was from) for ~$2 free shipping on eBay. Ordered for fun as I thought I would check the fluid as I did the Ranger Method for clutch fluid.

These are the results:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...60b525a4db.jpg

My first drain fluid showed 3% moisture. At 4% requires changing. On the 7th drain it was zero, the same as the new fluid in the container!

Brake fluid is very hygroscopic (picks up water like a sponge!) That moisture will diffuse though the fluid from calipers to reservoir and will NOT be significantly different!

SIDEBAR
The product I received was in an obviously designed for US in a sealed blister pack. All US English no other language. Probably excess from a lot made for a US supplier who paid $1 and sells for $10! The Chinese give free mailing as a way to increase exports! Real fair completion! For me to ship a small item to China in a small Priority Mail Box it cost $35! Crazy.

Marcho Polo 07-13-2019 07:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yeah my brake fluid after two and a half years and 10k miles showed <1% but the clutch was 4%. I flushed brakes today and had to get a turkey baster today to do the clutch later this evening.

Attachment 48303683Attachment 48303684

Marcho Polo 07-13-2019 07:37 PM

Oh, and I also used it to check a can of brake fluid that I had opened some time back to see if it was ok. It measured zero so I figured it should have been fine.

BrunoTheMellow 07-13-2019 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JerryU (Post 1599750109)
Yep, it measures resistance and probably fairly accurate. I saw one on Amazon for $10 and then the same one from China (where no doubt the one on Amazon was from) for ~$2 free shipping on eBay. Ordered for fun as I thought I would check the fluid as I did the Ranger Method for clutch fluid.

These are the results:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...60b525a4db.jpg

My first drain fluid showed 3% moisture. At 4% requires changing. On the 7th drain it was zero, the same as the new fluid in the container!

Brake fluid is very hygroscopic (picks up water like a sponge!) That moisture will diffuse though the fluid from calipers to reservoir and will NOT be significantly different!

SIDEBAR
The product I received was in an obviously designed for US in a sealed blister pack. All US English no other language. Probably excess from a lot made for a US supplier who paid $1 and sells for $10! The Chinese give free mailing as a way to increase exports! Real fair completion! For me to ship a small item to China in a small Priority Mail Box it cost $35! Crazy.

It looks like color is directly correlated.

JerryU 07-13-2019 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow (Post 1599750272)
It looks like color is directly correlated.

Color is NOT a good indicator! You can buy test strips but these meters are cheap and work. Frankly I do the Ranger Method once a year so no need to measure as I do it whatever! I bought the meter because it was so cheap (just checked eBay and saw several for $2.99 free shipping from China!) I wanted to perform those tests when I did the Ranger Method!

GM says the color in the clutch fluid (DOT 4 brake fluid) comes from staining by the seals cause it to turn black quickly (I assume the graphite -or whatever- seals on the throughout bearing. Brake fluid dissolves paint so assume it will pick-up other "stuff" as well.) My color change is from draining the old fluid, putting in new and pumping the clutch 30 times. Repeat that ~7 times. Uses most of the 12 once containers I buy. Like to start with a new container ($4) where there is an unbroken aluminum foil seal on the new container.

BrunoTheMellow 07-13-2019 08:28 PM

I change my brake fluid yearly from tracking and the remainder of the bottle goes to the clutch so i was just curious too.

Oh4GTO 07-15-2019 08:25 PM

NJMP now tests water content in your brake fluid. Not sure which tool they use but I will find out on the 24th.

Bill Dearborn 07-16-2019 12:04 PM

The problem with using a brake fluid tester is it might work better if it is calibrated for the type of brake fluid (DOT3 or DOT4) you are using to get proper results. Here is a DOT4 calibrated unit on Amazon:

Here is a tester supposedly calibrated for both DOT3 and 4:

You pay your money and take your chances.

Bill