CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C5 General (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general-103/)
-   -   Who Owned this Z Before Me?? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c5-general/4294870-who-owned-this-z-before-me.html)

supertec 07-11-2019 10:03 PM

Who Owned this Z Before Me??

OK, so this is a very long shot, but trying to see if I can figure out who owned my C5 Z before I did.. There are a few things that make it very interesting to me and make me wonder what all has been done to this car before me.. I figure there is a chance someone on here may have owned, or knew someone who owned this car..

Couple of quick facts about the car its a 2001 and silver in color.. Was owned in NY, TX and GA. It was previously supercharged, it has a very old RPM transmission in it. It has Kooks headers, braided brake lines with drilled and slotted rotors. I bought the car once the supercharger had been taken off.. Someone had put an SLP pinned under drive pulley on it with a very good tune..

Its just had a lot of stuff done to it in the past and I would LOVE to ask a few questions. I feel like the motor may be built, but cant confirm.. I just added an A&A kit back to the car and it just seems like such a strong running car. It was much faster than stock before I added the SC kit.

Anyway, car has only 48K on it and figured I would give it a try.. Ill add a few pics to help..
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...b591111d71.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...eadf048b11.jpg

Rob 02 07-11-2019 10:17 PM

I wish you luck.

I had the same curiosity about the history of mine. While searching through the Car Fax for service records I called the last shop it was serviced at. I got more information than I was expecting.
If you call some of the places it was worked on, such as RPM, and give the VIN they may be able to provide details on the work that has been done.

supertec 07-11-2019 10:23 PM

I sure appreciate it.. I have done all of the above.. All RPM was able to tell me was the transmission is an old one. Like 10+ years old.. lol Not sure if that means it wont last me long, but she sure feels super stout. Someone put a lot of money into the car.

Rob 02 07-11-2019 10:54 PM

The RPM trans could last a lifetime.
If it has an RPM diff that would be another bonus.

supertec 07-11-2019 11:07 PM

It does and I sure hope you are right.. I had no idea when I bought it. Didn't realize till I jacked up the car.

Rob 02 07-12-2019 12:18 AM

I'v been meaning to get an RPM set up like that. I got a quote for around 5k. They have a reputation for being bullet proof.
They rebuild the trans and diff using performance parts at different levels depending on your needs. They are about as good as it gets.
I would be curious about what rear gear was installed. I would Imagine it has a 3.73:1 or lower (possible 4.10).
Congratulations on your purchase. It sounds well built and maintained. A lot of people make the mistake of adding HP without building up the drive-line and bottom end.
Fortunately for you that doesn't seem to be the case.

If they went to that length I would be curious if it has the original LS6 engine or possibly a LS3 or bigger. I'm sure there is probably an aftermarket cam installed and if it was supercharged, probably forged pistons. I have seen mechanics write down modifications under the engine covers and other places. If you know who installed the supercharger you could get more information because they would have tuned it. If it was ECS, I know they keep records.

supertec 07-12-2019 10:25 AM

We think alike. I am dying to know what is in the motor.. They put so much money in the car everywhere else. It just runs so strong. My tuner thinks it must have a SC cam in it because it made so much power so quickly.. We were at 600HP on our second pull. I bought the 60# injectors from A&A with the Racetronics fuel pump and I was out of injector immediately. I ordered larger injectors and a boost a pump that I will install next week and go back on the dyno. The brake lines are braided all the way to some sort of anodized purge valve up underneath the motor.. Something I have never seen before, but it looks cool..lol I will check under the hood cover for any info, that's a good idea.

Anyway, just so curious what all has been done and really debated even trying because its such a long shot.. I bought this car sight unseen from a Corvette dealer in GA. They only mentioned the headers..lol I guess a lot of people would not buy the car if they knew all that has been done, but I own it now so I will just pray the motor is done correctly and that it wasn't beaten too hard.. I know the miles are legit from the Carfax, or at least they seem to be. I guess time will tell.

ArmchairArchitect 07-12-2019 10:33 AM

Your best bet is going to be looking on www.vinwiki.com ...the main purpose for this site. I have all my cars in there so future owners can see pics and info.

supertec 07-12-2019 10:35 AM

Ill check it out.. Unfortunately I think all this work was done long before that site was out.. I appreciate it.

Rob 02 07-12-2019 03:41 PM

Wholly 600 RWhp naturally aspirated! That doesn't sound like a 5.7L LS6. It sounds more like a ~416 stroked LS3 or larger. The casting number on the heads might be a give away unless they are aftermarket (likely). Stock LS6 heads were 243's. The number is on the top of them near the valve cover. Look on the passenger side head at the front of the engine because the drivers side number would be under the firewall.
Got any pix of the engine?

Any way, If you are a performance enthusiast then it sounds like you got a lot of free stuff. Way more than you bargained for.
If you were looking for a bone stock, unmolested, low mileage ZO6 then ouch!
Personally, I would be stoked. I would be looking for more traction.

Here is a link to a good discussion on finding the rear axle ratio. Gear Ratios - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

I wouldn't consider the trans old since it was built 10 years ago and the car has less than 60k on the OD.

gimp 07-12-2019 03:43 PM

If I am reading the OP correctly, it has an A&A SC kit on it now. :)

supertec 07-12-2019 03:48 PM

That is correct.. I have reinstalled an AA kit.. This is how I realized it had the same, or very similar kit in it before.

supertec 07-12-2019 03:51 PM

OH and here is an engine pic..
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...3af2a6de8c.jpg

Rob 02 07-12-2019 03:58 PM

Okay, I thought you said the SC was removed. It looks like an LS6 to me. You got over $12,000 worth of performance enhancements in the deal.
I would hope it has a forged bottom end (pistons, crank and rods) to handle all that.

supertec 07-12-2019 04:16 PM

When I got the car it was not supercharged.. I bought it thinking it just had the headers.. I knew I was going to SC it right away. I did the work myself.. As soon as I started to do work on the car, I discovered it had been SCed before I purchased it and before the previous owner had it. I was able to tell from the cuts to the radiator and the piping cuts underneath the front of the car.. Someone did an amazing job putting it back to oem, but I knew right away it had one in it before me. Sorry for the confusion.

Rob 02 07-12-2019 04:22 PM

Nah, my bad. At least it is built up for HP. There may be $5-8K in free mods anyway. Your car looks like a sleeper. I would hate to be the guy that tries to race you unknowingly.

supertec 07-12-2019 04:24 PM

lol Right on, she pulls very good. The RPM stuff was such a bonus,, Dying to know more about the car.