CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   who out there tried the change from exclusively MANUAL to including AUTOMATIC? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4294878-who-out-there-tried-the-change-from-exclusively-manual-to-including-automatic.html)

o2baZR1 07-11-2019 10:13 PM

who out there tried the change from exclusively MANUAL to including AUTOMATIC?

I'd like to hear both male and female experiences especially from those who were exclusively MANUAL...if the option was even available and then at least TRIED to go with AUTOMATIC instead. So preferably you're someone who was in a position where/when you were SHOPPING for a vehicle FOR REALZ, more likely than not searching for only a manual, and then ended up buying an automatic instead.

If you eventually decided you just couldn't stomach an auto, tell us about that. If you discovered you acclimated very well and can't believe you were ever so opposed to an AUTO, please going into the relevant details of that position too. If you refuse to even look at paddles, can you put that into words please? I know somethings you just have to feel to understand. Words don't do them justice...but please try...I PROMISE I WILL READ WHATEVER YOU WRITE so at the very least, in that sense, it DOES matter to SOMEBODY besides you.

First of all, today's automatics aren't just a matter of sticking it in "D" and forgetting about it. HOW ENGAGING did you find paddles to be? Did you put that option off for a long, long time? Are you surprised and feel like you really did do an 'about-face' that had an impact you were surprised with?

Some of you have read my tale about how I'm currently looking into c6 ZR1's with funding ready-to-go right now. I know i'm getting old, things change over time, and youngsters genuinely do have some spectacular ways that we didn't have. As the expression says, "you grow or you go." ....gotts-ta roll with the flow. sink or swim.

So particularly speaking to you "CONVERTS" out there, please tell me what I might be very surprised to discover on your side of the street! If what you discovered was that FOR YOU, you'd been right all along, tell us about that too. Enquiring minds want to know!

One more thing I'll add is that carvana has an auto c7 Z06 they're just taking in. i'm thinking about it

Legionofone1 07-11-2019 10:47 PM

My first "sports car" was a 2012 mustang v6 auto, I had driven manuals all my life to that point and had moved to Austin so I was fighting traffic. Figured I would enjoy the car more if I got an auto since I would be in stop and go. I absolutely hated the car and how disconnected the driving felt for 4 years till I turned it in for a 2016 GT stick.

I have driven paddles (M4 and an S5) and it still feels like a disconnect.

My wife and I both drive sticks now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

WA 2 FST 07-11-2019 11:21 PM

I would not buy an automatic, if it were the 6-speed in the C6 and certainly not the 4-speed in the <2005 cars. You're right, though... the newer ones are much better, and more engaging. I have an 8-speed in my Jeep Trackhawk and love it. The 10-speed in the new Camaro/Mustang is great. I have not driven the 8-speed auto in the C7. It may be great too.

But I have driven the 6-speed auto (stock and tuned) in a supercharged C6 Grand Sport (600+rwhp/585rwtq) and it was not an engaging experience for me. I also had a 6-speed auto in a '12 CTSV (basically the same transmission) and felt the same way. I really _wanted_ to like them... they are great in a straight-line acceleration contest. I can't powershift a manual as fast as the tuned 6-speed auto. But paddles or not... they just didn't do it for me.

Go drive one, or two, or three before converting to a car with an A6 auto. You may love it. I didn't.

hrt vlv 07-12-2019 07:42 PM

Manuals are very nice. You can shift closer to redline, curves , they make you feel more in control. Driving in traffic is not much fun.Clutch master cylinder is small, requiring the ranger method or fully bleeding system often. Slave cylinder is a potential weak point. Possibly more wear and tear on clutch components and drive line. I wanted an automatic to make it easier for my wife to drive. The A6 is nice, I like how it keeps the engine RPM's at an optimal point for driving, passing or playing in traffic. Using sport mod and using the paddles is ok, but if you try shifting aggressively, using more than 5000RPM, shifts are slow/sluggish. For survival I try not to drive past 50 to 70% of my and the cars capability. This gives me a safety margin I am comfortable with. Transmission temperature is monitored by the DIC and when I see to high a temperature I just slow the pace. It can be downshifted and over reving the engine is not possible, The manual you can miss a gear and bend valves or cause other catastrophic damage. Brakes are cheap compared to driveline wear and tear. Just my fitty cent . Bill

Gary '09 C6 07-13-2019 10:37 PM

FWIW, my first Corvette was a 2009 base coupe w/Z51, 2LT interior, NPP exhaust & A6 w/paddle-shifters.
Very nice sports car, but the automatic was boring to drive. Traded-up to my 2010 ZR1...

hrt vlv 07-16-2019 02:58 PM

Very cool upgrade! Gary! That our a grand sport would be my next choice. Did you keep your ZR1 stock?

Pounder 07-16-2019 04:27 PM

will NEVER own a Auto Corvette !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wife and I are thinking about a C 7 Z06, manuals very hard to find !!!!!

03Zcrit 07-16-2019 05:10 PM

The only auto I would consider would be a GT4 with a PDK transmission. If you haven’t driven a Porsche PDK, stop by your dealer and test drive a Cayman S with a PDK.

I’ve driven both the C6 and C7 in auto and as others have stated there is a disconnect and delay that would keep me from considering the Vette in an auto.

WA 2 FST 07-16-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 03Zcrit (Post 1599767029)
The only auto I would consider would be a GT4 with a PDK transmission. If you haven’t driven a Porsche PDK, stop by your dealer and test drive a Cayman S with a PDK.

I’ve driven both the C6 and C7 in auto and as others have stated there is a disconnect and delay that would keep me from considering the Vette in an auto.

Drove a Cayman S on a track... loved it. I'm in complete agreement with you. I would absolutely drive one of those.

Gary '09 C6 07-16-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by hrt vlv (Post 1599766102)
Very cool upgrade! Gary! That our a grand sport would be my next choice. Did you keep your ZR1 stock?

thx...and basically yes, until I finally had the heads & valve-train work done this past January...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-of-spec.html

hrt vlv 08-01-2019 08:27 PM

WOW Gary those heads are absolutely beautiful! The workmanship is outstanding.

Gary '09 C6 08-01-2019 09:02 PM

thanks...AHP f-t-w ! :flag: