CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   Just ordered a C7 - any tips for a former C3/C5 owner? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4294917-just-ordered-a-c7-any-tips-for-a-former-c3-c5-owner.html)

rfh928 07-12-2019 12:49 AM

Just ordered a C7 - any tips for a former C3/C5 owner?

Hi...I had a 78 C3 Silver Anniversary Coupe 4-Speed L82 for 15 years, and just sold my 98 C5 Coupe 6-Speed also after 15 years (I bought both of them at age 6). I've ordered a new C7 Coupe 7-Speed, and am really looking forward to getting it in September. I had a chance to test drive a similar 2017 recently, so got a bit of a flavour for the similarities & differences between the generations. Just wondering if anyone had any specific tips on anything I should expect - good or bad - compared to the C5 series? Thanks in advance for your advice :canadaflag:

CPO Rob 07-12-2019 07:39 AM

Holy Crap, I could not afford my Corvette until I was sixty.
I had a 2004 C5 for years and god I loved that car. It was fast, handled well and was somewhat comfortable. But last month after a long and arduous search I decided to jump to a C7 I was able to get a 2017 Sting Ray with 3100 miles with an additional transparent Targa and the original set of never used rims and tires for $42k less $13500.00 for my C5.

With that said, the difference is huge. From the cockpit to the way she drives is amazing. The visibility is great, the Targa top is not as heavy and goes on and off very easily, you can not hear the fuel pump, no leaks, doors seem bigger, steering is better, pick up is just breathtaking and the workmanship seems better.

Now for the differences, the trunk/storage area is smaller on the C7, the information center is a bit confusing with all its sub-menus, the rear bumper and front bumper are all plastic and they flex. I am sure others will chime in. Anyway Here are some statistics.
The C7 uses Aerogel, a material developed by NASA, to keep heat from the transmission tunnel from transferring into the cabin. The under-body panels are made of "carbon-nano" composite. The chassis is made of hydro-formed aluminum. The rear tail lights use indirect LED technology. The new Corvette LT1 engine, the first of the fifth-generation family of small block engines, retains the push-rods acting on overhead valves design. It implements direct fuel injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation), and continuously variable valve timing.
Layout Front mid-engine
Rear-wheel-drive
Platform Y-body
Engine 6.2 L LT1 V8
Transmission 7-speed Tremec TR-6070 manual
8-speed GM 8L90 automatic
Wheelbase 106.7 in
Length 176.9 in
Width 73.9 in)
Height 48.6 in
Curb weight 3,347 lb

The C5's modular body panels make excellent use of a lightweight composite material known in the automotive industry as SMC or Sheet Molded Composite, a type of fiberglass that is blended and bonded with plastics. The floor boards on the C5 are a composite sandwich of SMC with balsa wood in the middle. Balsa wood was chosen for its extreme stiffness, light weight and excellent sound absorption qualities. The all-aluminum LS1 overhead valve engine is much lighter than its cast iron predecessor, the LT1, and provides for a much lower hood line when compared to an overhead cam design of relative displacement.

Layout Front mid-engine, rear-wheel-drive
Platform - Y-body
Engine 5.7L LS1 V8
5.7L LS6 V8 (Z06: 2001–04)
Transmission 6-speed manual
4-speed automatic
Wheelbase 104.5 in
Length 179.7 in
Width 73.6 in
Height 47.7 in
Curb weight 3,245 lb

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...8e11730e6b.jpg

Fredtoo 07-12-2019 08:40 AM

I have a '72 and a '19.
The 19 is a much nicer car.

Hope this helps.

Corgidog1 07-12-2019 09:03 AM

I had a 68 and a 79. My C7 has more electronics and gets better gas mileage.

gliot1 07-12-2019 09:08 AM

I have had a C3, C4, C6 and C7. You really cant compare generation to generation as they are all distinctly different, but it is something that makes Corvette cool and unique. At different intervals it takes a whole new direction.....

Vetteman Jack 07-12-2019 10:24 AM

I had 3 C5s and now a C7. The C7 ups the game in terms of interior quality, technology and performance. I loved my C5s, but I am also thoroughly enjoying my C7.

449er 07-12-2019 11:27 AM

Your C7 will be pretty much better in every way

Red86Cfour 07-12-2019 11:34 AM

Every corvette series is special in its own way, and each series is better than the last IMO. I've had a 4, 5, 6 and now a 7, all manual transmissions. My simple advice is drive it every day you can, and enjoy it every day you can.

Maxpowers 07-12-2019 11:42 AM

I can't help comparing to a C5, but you should consider ordering some splash guards and wrapping the front in Xpel. Congrats on your purchase :cheers:

EvanZR1 07-12-2019 02:18 PM

I've had 3 C4s (92 LT1, 91 ZR-1 (lightly modded), and current 91 ZR-1 (heavily modded)), 2 C5s (01 Z06 and 03 vert), 1 C6 (13 GS that was stock for 1 year, at 575RWHP for 2 years, and 672RWHP for 2 years), and now my 15 Z51. All have been manuals. If I could only have one Corvette, it would definitely be a C7 (at least til we see what C8 is). I use my 15 as a daily driver, and it's an awesome car. Great creature comforts (3LT), very comfortable ride (after the mag ride software update), good power and excellent handling. I just did a 3 day Arkansas backroad trip, and the cars limits are so far beyond what you can safely do on the street (that's actually my one gripe, the car is almost too good), but yet is still fun to drive and comfortable for a full day of driving (and that's with comp seats). The one big piece of advice I have for you, leave the driver aids ON! Unlike earlier gens (even the C6), the traction control and active handling systems are a HUGE benefit and not at all intrusive to driving the car. Do not be the next YouTube idiot by turning everything off and doing a "hey y'all, watch this", as with everything off they car will get away from you really fast. The C7 was designed from the ground up with the driver aids in place (why there are multiple levels of track mode), and is faster with it on than with it off.

fsvoboda 07-12-2019 10:02 PM

Possible annoyances (discussed here again and again):

1) Seats too narrow/stiff. Solution: wait a few thousand miles for them to loosen up a little and also be sure to sit all the way into the seat. (Don't slouch.)

2) Knee hits hatch release when entering/exiting. Solution: within about a thousand miles you'll likely stop hitting it. Also, do the sit in the seat, then swing legs in thing to minimize this.

Enjoy!

:cheers:

Avanti 07-13-2019 01:02 AM

Even on the base coupe my C7 has way more electronic geegaws and crappola than I want or need! Hundreds and hundreds of pages in two Owners Manuals, no less.

I like a sports car, not another computer to dink with, so I just ignore all the stuff and drive. Yeah, I have a C5, too. ENJOY, that's the main thing! :thumbs:

rfh928 07-13-2019 02:07 AM

Thanks everyone for your feedback !!!

Hi...wow...the number of responses that all of you have sent in the past day are amazing, and I really appreciate your comments on my C7 inquiry! Sounds like the C7 will be a great transition from the C5...which is what my initial impressions were so far.

I will definitely leave the driver aids on as Evan70 suggested...not in my nature to try to second guess what professional engineers have spent countless hours perfecting. I see many of you are manual tranny fans also...I was super disappointed to learn that the C8 will only be offered with an auto - hopefully temporarily but who knows. Honestly if they don't reintroduce a stick option, then my next sports car sadly will be outside of the Vette world. To CPO Rob (my namesake...Rob also...), I'll be 62 next month so I'm not getting my C7 any earlier than you did :)

And I'm happy to see another C7 owner in Toronto - Maxpowers - we're fortunate to be a Vette friendly city...in the 35 years I've been a Corvette owner I usually see at least one a day (winter notwithstanding...) of a particular vintage.

Thanks again & take care everyone...Robert

roadbike56 07-13-2019 01:02 PM

I came from a 04 C5 coupe to a 14, Z51 M7. The big differences for me include: the traction control for the C5 was, in my opinion, left a lot to be desired. Once the rear wheels broke loose, it was a handful, sometimes downright dangerous. The C7 has vastly improved this function. Once the rear wheels break loose, merely feathering the throttle brings them right back. You'll notice the improvement right away and this will allow you to trust the C7 way more than you did your C5.
For me, Rev Match is great. I was only OK at double clutching and downshifting with my C3 (the C5 was an automatic). With Rev Match, the C7 takes any guesswork out of a downshift.
I bought a 2LT car. The seat cooling function is excellent, works way better than the same function in our Lexus.
I'm old school and liked the radio in the C5 better than the one in the C7. Also, the GPS in the C7 is, well, pretty bad compared to it's competition.
Hope you like your C7, best of luck with it.

EvanZR1 07-13-2019 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by rfh928 (Post 1599746774)
...I see many of you are manual tranny fans also...I was super disappointed to learn that the C8 will only be offered with an auto...

DCT, but yes, essentially an "auto". It's certainly making it hard for me, as I love and enjoy driving a manual. I've been planning on a C8, but just not sure I can give up the manual. I'll still have my 91 ZR-1, but if the C8 doesn't knock it out of the park, I may end up just upgrading my 15 to a later year C7 Z06 manual.

Originally Posted by roadbike56 (Post 1599748666)
...The C7 has vastly improved this function. Once the rear wheels break loose, merely feathering the throttle brings them right back. You'll notice the improvement right away and this will allow you to trust the C7 way more than you did your C5
...For me, Rev Match is great
...Also, the GPS in the C7 is, well, pretty bad compared to it's competition...

You don't even need to feather it, just keep your foot in it and the TC will figure it out (as long as you're not totally crossed arms sideways).
Yes, Rev Match on the C7 manual is awesome, first thing I do when I start the car is turn it on. I drive 100% of the time with it on and will find excuses to downshift to enjoy it.
Get a 2016 or later (wish I had) and use Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Factory GPS is always pretty worthless. I just have a dash mount for my phone and use Google Maps, which is always going to be better than factory nav. Honestly I'm not sure why auto manufacturers even bother with factory nav anymore.

rfh928 07-14-2019 02:02 AM

I came from a 04 C5 coupe to a 14, Z51 M7. The big differences for me include: the traction control for the C5 was, in my opinion, left a lot to be desired. Once the rear wheels broke loose, it was a handful, sometimes downright dangerous. The C7 has vastly improved this function. Once the rear wheels break loose, merely feathering the throttle brings them right back. You'll notice the improvement right away and this will allow you to trust the C7 way more than you did your C5.
For me, Rev Match is great. I was only OK at double clutching and downshifting with my C3 (the C5 was an automatic). With Rev Match, the C7 takes any guesswork out of a downshift.
I bought a 2LT car. The seat cooling function is excellent, works way better than the same function in our Lexus.
I'm old school and liked the radio in the C5 better than the one in the C7. Also, the GPS in the C7 is, well, pretty bad compared to it's competition.
Hope you like your C7, best of luck with it.

Thanks for your comments...interesting on the traction control differences between the 2 generations. I'm curious about the rev match...in my first manual over 40 years ago (74 MGB) my best friend who had a 64 MGB taught me how to do the heel & toe rev matching. I have to admit that since then I've gotten lazy & just downshift letting off the clutch without tapping the gas pedal. I just ordered the 1LT trim...2LT was just out of reach budget-wise. I'll miss the heated seats more than cooled ones (Canadian spring & fall weather can be a bit chilly...). Ironic that our 2 family vehicles (Subaru's) have heated seats at less than half the price of the base C7. And yes, agreed on the old school sound system approach...I just acquired an iPhone a few weeks ago replacing my ancient flip phone :)

rfh928 07-14-2019 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by Evan70 (Post 1599748983)
DCT, but yes, essentially an "auto". It's certainly making it hard for me, as I love and enjoy driving a manual. I've been planning on a C8, but just not sure I can give up the manual. I'll still have my 91 ZR-1, but if the C8 doesn't knock it out of the park, I may end up just upgrading my 15 to a later year C7 Z06 manual.

You don't even need to feather it, just keep your foot in it and the TC will figure it out (as long as you're not totally crossed arms sideways).
Yes, Rev Match on the C7 manual is awesome, first thing I do when I start the car is turn it on. I drive 100% of the time with it on and will find excuses to downshift to enjoy it.
Get a 2016 or later (wish I had) and use Android Auto/Apple Carplay. Factory GPS is always pretty worthless. I just have a dash mount for my phone and use Google Maps, which is always going to be better than factory nav. Honestly I'm not sure why auto manufacturers even bother with factory nav anymore.

I hope that GM kicks in with some common sense (as Porsche did for the 911 GT3 which initially had an auto only) and adds a manual option for the C8. In the series of sports/muscle cars I've had the past 44 years now, I only ordered one with an auto (78 Camaro) and regretted it very shortly after I bought it. Our family vehicles are all manual also...I taught my wife to drive stick (on my 78 C3 which wasn't that easy being a non-hydraulic clutch), and more recently my 2 kids. I offer to teach any of their friends as well, as I figure that getting more drivers interested in manual's will help to keep them alive. I envy my German & British friends & family who have their pick of manual's in pretty well every make & model, many of which are imported here with auto's only. I hope that you find a nice C7 Z06 manual...sounds like you will be much happier than an auto C8 :)

fsvoboda 07-14-2019 08:34 AM

Also, the GPS in the C7 is, well, pretty bad compared to it's competition..

BTW with Android Auto and Google Maps (or Waze) driving directions on your phone you won't really miss built-in GPS nav, based on my experience. I've had built in nav on cars for more than a decade but didn't think it was worth it for a car like my C7 that isn't a daily driver, and I was pleasantly surprised to find how good the AA/Google Maps combo was.

:cheers:

proexpert 07-14-2019 08:43 AM

Inspect the paint very carefully before and after delivery every day.

See this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...corvettes.html

rfh928 07-14-2019 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by proexpert (Post 1599752051)
Inspect the paint very carefully before and after delivery every day.

See this thread.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...corvettes.html

Thanks for the heads up...wow that's insane. I'm pretty meticulous about my vehicles so will definitely be inspecting it regularly!