CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C7 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion-142/)
-   -   The Wave... (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-general-discussion/4294936-the-wave.html)

LIE2ME 07-12-2019 07:00 AM

The Wave...

Last couple of weeks, I must have waived at five or more Corvettes from my C7, with no returned wave. The top was down, I knew they could see me. Meanwhile, just yesterday, while driving my classic Porsche 944 S2 Cabriolet, I received an enthusiastic unsolicited wave from the driver of a brand new 911...

This concerns me...

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...5f902fbc56.jpg

CPO Rob 07-12-2019 07:16 AM

I too have seen this. I think it is mostly new drivers that really do not know the history and meaning of the wave.
It's a shame but we should all continue to wave to educate the few that do not.
http://capitolcitycorvetteclub.org/f...9/IMG_4253.jpg

us3rname 07-12-2019 07:42 AM

If I wanted to wave at other random drivers i'd have bought a Jeep or Subaru.

GS 163 07-12-2019 07:51 AM

It'll be okay, its just a wave.

dvilin 07-12-2019 08:19 AM

Not too sure it is something to be concerned about. No big deal some people wave some do not. Some think it is a great Corvette tradition others think it is a silly thing of the past. Wave on and drive on all good either way.

Steve_R 07-12-2019 08:53 AM

:rolleyes:

C3_ERROR 07-12-2019 09:04 AM

You need to practice your Wave to Finger technic. Give a wave and if they don’t wave back be quick with the finger. Haha

I just got my first way the other day. I’ve only had the car a week. I didn’t know there was such a thing in the Corvette world. I haven’t waved to a follow driver/rider since my motorcycle days.

futuregopher 07-12-2019 09:20 AM

It feels like humans have lost some sort of ability to communicate with one another face to face. People are too scared of "oh if I say hi to this cute girl on the street, what will other people think of me, omg" "omg what if she says no, omg"

I see it all the time here in NYC and it's probably everywhere else too. People are just looking at their phones with headphones in, not paying attention at all while crossing the sidewalks, zero disregard for other people.

Now it's considered "RUDE" to talk to someone when they have headphones in, etc. Could be social media and the loss of human face to face interaction but who knows. Just my 2c.

EDITED: In the past week alone - I saw a nice SL AMG the other day. I saw him see me so I waved to him and he waved back. Mother and her daughter were in a BMW M6 and heard me blasting my pipes in the Lincoln tunnel and pulled up to me and waved and gave me a thumbs up, I waved back. Saw a 6th gen camaro SS, waved to him, he waved back. Saw a 911 turbo and waved to the driver, he gave a thumbs up back. 3-5 strangers wave to me every time I drive my car with a nice car, etc. Probably one of the coolest things is just the C7 giving me a reason to interact with other human beings. It's nice!

jdsaengine 07-12-2019 09:25 AM

driving with the top down in our BMW, I waved at an on coming Corvette, he just gave me a blank look. Told the wife I forgot what I was driving :confused2:

donkeyhoeti 07-12-2019 09:58 AM

Rode street bikes for many years and always waved. It never bothered me if it wasn't reciprocated. Now my wife and I both wave when driving the Corvette. It's so much fun to drive we don't get upset when someone doesn't wave back! :D

Z06_Ruff 07-12-2019 10:02 AM

:seeya

Vetteman Jack 07-12-2019 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by dvilin (Post 1599741266)
Not too sure it is something to be concerned about. No big deal some people wave some do not. Some think it is a great Corvette tradition others think it is a silly thing of the past. Wave on and drive on all good either way.

Well said. I wave, but if someone doesn’t return the wave, my day isn’t ruined. :seeya

KenHorse 07-12-2019 10:19 AM

I've never seen a Corvette fail to wave back at me.

Perhaps it's your Bernie 2020 bumper sticker? :leaving:

speed4tu 07-12-2019 10:58 AM

Sometimes I wave back, sometimes I don't. Usually cant see in my car anyway due to tinted windows. It's definately not anything to be concerned about.

123vette456 07-12-2019 11:11 AM

I usually do not wave but I do always flash my lights. My windows are tinted so they probably could not see a wave. Usually I get a light blink or a wave back.

Merlin803 07-12-2019 11:22 AM

I have to say that as a fairly new Corvette owner (a few months) that I didn't immediately know what was going on (that guy waved, did he think I was someone he knows?). LOL

Of course, the more I read on this site I realized what was happening and now am aware of it (my wife laughs, but I told her "its a thing"). So, I look for waves now and have initiated some myself. :seeya

Dundon929 07-12-2019 11:56 AM

I wave all the time...granted most of the guys I'm waving at seem to be 70+ with their nose in the air driving a C4 or C5 Vert...I've never gotten 1 wave back. Not one! If you're 70+ and reading this that's not a dig, just a perception. Also if you're reading this and 70+ you kick a@@ because you probably have a C7 as well!

LIE2ME 07-12-2019 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 1599741928)
I've never seen a Corvette fail to wave back at me.

Perhaps it's your Bernie 2020 bumper sticker? :leaving:

Don't think so. Doubt there is much room next to my Trump/Pence sticker...:)

joemessman 07-12-2019 12:03 PM

Living in Lake Havasu AZ there are a lot of Corvettes and all wave at each other regardless of generation, model of Corvette etc. I have a lowly Stingray and even the Z06s wave back at me. :D

Corgidog1 07-12-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dundon929 (Post 1599742719)
I wave all the time...granted most of the guys I'm waving at seem to be 70+ with their nose in the air driving a C4 or C5 Vert...I've never gotten 1 wave back. Not one! If you're 70+ and reading this that's not a dig, just a perception. Also if you're reading this and 70+ you kick a@@ because you probably have a C7 as well!

I’m in nj and the old farts always wave. I am 70+.