CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C1 & C2 Corvettes (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes-4/)
-   -   C8 Reveal Thursday 10:30 PM EDT (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/4296184-c8-reveal-thursday-10-30-pm-edt.html)

Lotsacubes 07-15-2019 08:37 PM

C8 Reveal Thursday 10:30 PM EDT

Lots of links to the Reveal LiveStream.

I’m really looking forward to this. GM is staging this in an old blimp hangar.

I’m sure there’s a mix of anticipation and Bah Humbugs here. I’ve been following the 3D renderings of modelers for a year as they try to formulate its looks from many sources. Thursday we’ll know who’s guesses were the closest.

Cheers

3JsVette 07-15-2019 09:50 PM

"The most anticipated Corvette in a long long time."
The reviews will be interesting...….to say the least.

WICKEDFRC 07-15-2019 09:54 PM

I'll be sure to set my alarm. Twice. :hide:

1Bridog 07-15-2019 10:10 PM

I am actually attending the unveil in person on Friday the 19th...at the Marine Corp Air-station. Will be huge event.

Rob_64-365 07-15-2019 10:11 PM

Yawn...

LouieM 07-15-2019 10:39 PM

Finally, a Corvette I won't feel like doing a Save the Wave at. Quite an accomplishment, Chevy.

Saddletan 07-15-2019 10:46 PM

I’ve been waiting for this since 1967. Bugs should be fixed by 2025.

DZAUTO 07-15-2019 11:13 PM

Am I supposed to be excited? NOT!

ghostrider20 07-16-2019 02:10 AM

Is it going to have chrome bumpers?

alexandervdr 07-16-2019 05:21 AM

I bet it will be a great car. Looking forward to see it.
On the other hand, the whole narrative around sports and supercars is kind of affected by the electric vehicle experience. I did test a high performance Telsla Model 3 (don't shoot me :hide:) , and it beats many if not most in acceleration and planted road feel, two cornerstones for the sports car existence and the justification to spend a lot of money. You for sure don't get the noise, the smell, the awe for mechanical accomplishments, and the exclusivity. Still, I can't help feeling much less impressed than before my Tesla test with the performance numbers thrown at me by the Ferraris and Porsches of this world. Curious to see what sort of language and arguments GM will use with the C8 to convince me. The 'Duntov always wanted it' is not relevant to younger generation buyers. Eventually, it may evolve like the market for exclusive wrist watches. They are no more precise or 'better' than the cheap ones, people buy them for 'other' reasons :thumbs:

Jonz79 07-16-2019 06:10 AM

I just hope it does not look like an amalgamation of the Camaro, Impala, Cruz, and every other plastic bubble Chevy has in the line up. The spy pics recently posted of the rear were a hot mess! Horrible. The insect-like hard angles and contours of the acres of plastic was anything but inspiring to these eyes. I guess the notion of "classic, elegant simplicity" is long gone.
I can't help but think, though Zora would likely be happy with the mid-engine, he along with Mitchell, and Shinoda would likely cringe at the Terminator-esque gaudy design elements. Please don't give us a squashed Camaro!!

capevettes 07-16-2019 06:30 AM

I'm very excited about it and will watch the live stream of the reveal. It's going to be a great car. Nice to see the Corvette continue to challenge the best sports cars in the world. I'm also going to see the car at Macmulkin Chevrolet in New Hampshire August 7th. Caravanning up with several other Corvette guys.

USMC 0802 07-16-2019 07:17 AM

I’m excited to see it, but will have to double check the time change over here - LOL

(Enjoying a fine double IPA while most of you have your coffee...)

Sad about it only having (2) pedals though.

capevettes 07-16-2019 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by USMC 0802 (Post 1599763440)
I’m excited to see it, but will have to double check the time change over here - LOL

(Enjoying a fine double IPA while most of you have your coffee...)

Sad about it only having (2) pedals though.

Yea, I like to row the gears too, but it's going to be a proper Dual Clutch transmission.

Double IPA's. You're talking my language. I'll be having a Trillium Double later today with a nice cigar :cheers:

Frankie the Fink 07-16-2019 08:26 AM

I don't know how a Tesla got into this thread...

In any event I haven't even warmed up to the C7 yet, so this "left turn" in the design of the C8 might just be where my disenchantment peaks.....we'll see. I hope GM isn't using this as an entree into the European exotic market base, I never felt the later Corvettes competed there (or needed to)...

They've always been a symbol of American muscle to me, rear wheel drive, front engine beasts...a different car than the "latte and croissant" crowd would want, but things change.....

Rob_64-365 07-16-2019 08:46 AM

This thread should be moved to the C8 section, where important information like lattee flavors, and carbon fiber floor mats, and clear bra discussion takes over.

Duck916 07-16-2019 08:53 AM

I'm definitely interested. I hope the car is awesome.

I am concerned, though, that GM is going to find it has positioned the car into a very small market where GM won't be able to move enough volume to justify the car. The market for two-door coupes in general is shrinking--can this move to a more exotic platform really sell anywhere close to the number of C5s, C6s, and C7s that GM sold?

Dreaming60’s 07-16-2019 08:58 AM

I co-owned a 2018 GS for 6 months (1st vette in 40 years) and it did little for me. Sold it and replaced with a 62. I guess I'm too old and old fashioned to really enjoy these new cars and could care less how fast they go, how quick they stop or how many geewhiz items they have. Technological wonders for sure, but no more impressive than most new luxury car. So, a C8 means less than nothing to me.

AkrHack 07-16-2019 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Duck916 (Post 1599763842)
I am concerned, though, that GM is going to find it has positioned the car into a very small market where GM won't be able to move enough volume to justify the car. The market for two-door coupes in general is shrinking--can this move to a more exotic platform really sell anywhere close to the number of C5s, C6s, and C7s that GM sold?

Agreed. It is all about the starting price IMO. For most of this year, one could buy a new C7 coupe with the 1LT option package in the mid to upper $40K range. Not cheap, but it is doable for many. Hopefully GM won't price the C8 to make it unattainable for most folks.

tuxnharley 07-16-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by LouieM (Post 1599762451)
Finally, a Corvette I won't feel like doing a Save the Wave at. Quite an accomplishment, Chevy.

Does that mean you don’t like it? Heck, most vette owners don’t bother to wave now........