CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   They called it a Supercar (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4297634-they-called-it-a-supercar.html)

TFen 07-19-2019 05:41 AM

My opinion: It will be a supercar until they become common enough that seeing one "in the wild" is no longer a special event. They have the performance and a lot of the DNA that makes a car Super, but if doesn't feel special when seeing one, I don't think it's very super at all. I guess you can say that a super car = a performance orientated special car. To me, anyway.

In an area like Northern Canada, it will be a super car forever. In places like So Cal, it probably won't be a supercar for much time at all.

Warp Factor 07-19-2019 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. ice (Post 1599785978)
Dodge nor Chevy will ever build supercars when they are mass producing with a price tag less than a half ton pickup.

Please seek psychiatric help for your obsession with wealth-posturing. Are you really that hard-up for women? :eek:

Tonio 07-19-2019 07:04 AM

its a super-duper car. :-)

Blvdbrawler 07-19-2019 07:08 AM

Is this what old men talk (argue) about??? Is a Corvette a Super car or not?? LMAO!

I will say this...Its AMERICAS SUPER CAR! Kicking foreign ass for decades and just raised the game in a big time way! Ohh Rah!

feeder82 07-19-2019 07:36 AM

The majority of the motoring publlc will think that can't be a Corvette, must be a Italian sports car. Great change, great move forward

PerKr 07-19-2019 07:57 AM

Didn't they say that about the C7 as well? And the C4/C6/C7 ZR-1?
There's more to it than performance but at least the performance will be up there, just as it has for so long.

Why is the "supercar" badge so important to you? Confidence issues?

Legionofone1 07-19-2019 08:11 AM

When the ZR-1 came out everyone said its not a super car because its FR, now we have a MR layout and its not a supercar? Fuck that this is a god damn super car, the all CF crazy shit is a hyper car and we will see that when they release the ZR-1.

Easy Rhino 07-19-2019 08:16 AM

This wins my vote for most entertaining thread this morning.

"Dammit, what I say matters, and the rest of youse guys is wrong!!!!"

Heck, the automotive rags could get several front page stories using this very question as the tag line; "Is the New Corvette a True Supercar?"

Just like the muscle car, sports car, pony car, GT car, whatever car definition, there is no statute, no accepted definition, only opinions.

This gon be gud.

StanJarensky 07-19-2019 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by brAnd7onX (Post 1599786260)
Stingray = Sports Car
Z51/Grand Sport = Track Car
Z06/ZR1 = Super Car

+1

Like everyone else, I'm on the fence about what a supercar actually means because if we're using performance as judgement, both Hellcats should probably be on there. But there's something about not calling the 2019 ZR-1 a supercar that just feels so wrong.

Mike Mercury 07-19-2019 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by blb078 (Post 1599785918)
A supercar is more than just fast, there's craftsmanship, tech, looks(although subjective they typically don't look like anything else out there). It's everything all in one.

:yesnod:

the cars specs tell a story of a high level ME sports car.

The exterior styling doesn't do the specs justice IMO. We all have visions of what a car is when someone says "mid-engined".

Performance wise the C8 may just dent sales of Porsche and some Ferraris & Lambos; but they have the appearance of an exotic.

I hope that when seeing a C8 in person... it will give a more appealing vibe cosmetically.

txapezl1 07-19-2019 08:49 AM

Yea, the word "supercar" get thrown around too much now. It seems any car that can do 3.5 and under is a supercar. It's far from it. At the end of the day, it's a Chevy, fit and finish will be Chevy. Performance and reliability will be Chevy. It will be a "bargain" at $60k for what you get, even tho I think the base looks hideous. I think the Z06 and whatever model above that are going to look insane. It needs a wider stance, better offset on the wheels, more carbon for sure, but it's a start. Give it a few years and we'll see what they do with this platform. I don't care much for it today, but I also know the Hipo models usually hit it out the park.

Kacyc3 07-19-2019 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Legionofone1 (Post 1599786972)
When the ZR-1 came out everyone said its not a super car because its FR, now we have a MR layout and its not a supercar? Fuck that this is a god damn super car, the all CF crazy shit is a hyper car and we will see that when they release the ZR-1.

:iagree:

Ferrari had/has front FR and it was a super car, if MR is what about the Lotus Elise? RR Fiero? MR2? Engine placement argument is null and void.

200 MPH - Does the 190.5 MPH C7 GXE qualify.

Price - Then I guess the C7 ZR1 with its $100K + price tag qualifies then.

0-60 - C7 ZR1 is 3 sec. flat, Ferrari didnt have a sub 3.0 time till 2005.. this would mean no Ferrari produced before 2005 was a super car.

If you dont like it just say you dont like it dont try to justify it by using these arguments.

Dr. ice 07-19-2019 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Warp Factor (Post 1599786463)
Please seek psychiatric help for your obsession with wealth-posturing. Are you really that hard-up for women? :eek:

LOL. You must have a very low bar for wealth posturing.....but I guess the general public might think that all new Corvette buyers are doing exactly that. So....I guess you are wealth posturing along with everyone else! What a dick😎. Tons of people posting the same as me. We are not all blind fanboys. However, I like what I have seen so far. I may buy 2😏. If $60k is any money to you, probably don’t have any business thinking about buying a new C8....but then again you are probably just a troll.

subieworx 07-19-2019 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by blb078 (Post 1599785918)
A supercar is more than just fast, there's craftsmanship, tech, looks(although subjective they typically don't look like anything else out there). It's everything all in one. You can't really pass judgement on something that the very people who made it are hyping up.

It's also unattainable for the common folk. Corvette has always been the common man's sports car.

Steve Garrett 07-19-2019 09:47 AM

Corvette has always wanted to be the blend of everyday touring car, road trip car combined with supercar performance and stats. Just because it's not a Lamborghini, Ferrari or McLaren doesn't mean it's NOT a supercar.....this one is.

But opinions are like a__holes.....everybody's got one.

Dr. ice 07-19-2019 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by WICKEDFRC (Post 1599786071)
How about a healthy balance and call it an "American Made Sportscar with Supercar Performance at an Affordable Price!!"

Nailed it! Time to close the thread....this debate is done😏

Dethsupp0rt 07-19-2019 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mcrider (Post 1599786314)
The internet and especially the Corvette Forum proves the level of just sheer ignorance and blatant stupidity of so many users.

The DEFINITION of a SUPERCAR, and it goes back a couple of decades, is a car that can break 200 MILES PER HOUR.
200 MILES PER HOUR.

By that rationale, my ZL1 is a supercar, and so is a Charger Hellcat.

In all seriousness, people get too hung up on everything having a label so they can put it in a bucket they either like or dislike. Supercar in this bucket, hypercar in that bucket. Pony car in this bucket, muscle car in that bucket. Conservative in this bucket, liberal in that bucket. Ad nauseam.

If people can ever learn to think for themselves, and realize that things don't necessarily have to fit neatly into a bucket, and that everything is not a digital 0 or a 1, we'll be a lot better off.

PurpleLion 07-19-2019 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Sin City (Post 1599785929)
Its a nice GT. That's what they wanted to create and that's what they made.

Wrong! The C8 is a modern sports car that GM has wisely imbued with the ability to perform as a GT car when desired by its owner. This has been accomplished by the C8's increased luggage capacity when compared with the typical mid engine design.

Happily, GM has provided the cargo capacity of the C8 without resorting to an ugly, high hood / frunk.

I am very impressed! WELL DONE GM!!!

PS: It seems to me that one criterion for the definition of a supercar is price. Since the C8 will be sold overseas at very high import prices, many foreigners may consider the C8 a supercar regardless of what we think.

Mcrider 07-19-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt (Post 1599787997)
By that rationale, my ZL1 is a supercar, and so is a Charger Hellcat.

It's as clear as it sounds. Break the 200MPH barrier and you have a supercar.

The self anointed superior intellectuals think they have to fuck it up and make it far more difficult than it is.

200MPH, plain and SIMPLE!

68roadster 07-19-2019 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. ice (Post 1599785936)
......of course they say it’s a supercar and everyone that loves their wife is married to a supermodel.

And you completely ignore the fact that I am the greatest driver and the best looking mofo around.....