CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   C8 vs C7 Z51 content and pricing (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4298368-c8-vs-c7-z51-content-and-pricing.html)

Boiler_81 07-20-2019 08:39 AM

C8 vs C7 Z51 content and pricing

There have been a few people who have speculated that the C8 Z51 will cost $15k or more over the base C8.

Here is what is included in the C7 Z51 priced at $5K. Source: chevy.com

Michelin® Pilot® Super Sport® ZP summer-only tires† that are aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability
Performance brakes with Black-painted calipers and slotted brake rotors
Z51 performance suspension with specific shocks, springs and stabilizer bars
Dry sump oil system
Performance gear ratios
Dual-mode performance exhaust
Electronic Limited Slip Differential (eLSD)
Rear differential and transmission cooling
Aero Package with rear spoiler that reduces lift for high-speed stability
Available Magnetic Selective Ride Control™ and Performance Traction Management

Here is what is included in the C8 Z51 package. Source Chevy youtube video
at the 45 sec mark

Michelin PS4 Performance Tires
Performance Suspension
Adjustable Threaded Spring Seats
Larger Brake Rotors with Z51 Logo on Calipers
Enhanced Cooling
ELSD With Specific Axle Ratio
Rear Spoiler and Front Splitter
Front Brake Inlets
Performance Exhaust
Available Magnetic Ride Control with PTM

It looks like the two packages are essentially the same with exception of the C7 dry sump which is standard in the base C8. Based on content, a reasonable argument could be made for the C8 Z51 package to be priced less than $5K.

NoSoupForU 07-20-2019 08:47 AM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...e5ccc8471b.png

quick04Z06 07-20-2019 09:05 AM

Looking for testing of the brakes to see how track worthy the Z51 brakes are.

Package seems thorough. Pricing will be key. I wonder if the coil-overs (non-mag ride) are adjustable. How much more to get the mag ride package?

I wonder why Chevy didn’t get 500 hp for Z51–good marketing. Could it be an insurance issue?

thill444 07-20-2019 09:08 AM

I agree I don’t see it costing more than $5-6K more. An 2LT Z51 with MRC would likely be $15K or so over $60K base model.

Bob U 07-20-2019 09:27 AM

What is the C7 Z51 0-60 time?
I think that a C8 Z51 sub 3 is very impressive.
The C8 mid-engine car is going to be more repeatable in most cases than that of the front engine C7.

2K14C7 07-20-2019 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by NoSoupForU (Post 1599796551)

Wow! The Performance Exhaust adds 495 hp. I’m in!! LOL

Cmud 07-20-2019 12:29 PM

I have no need for a Z51 but I like the Mag ride on my current base vette. Sucks they are not offering it on the 1st year base models. I don't track my car so as a DD I would be pissing away 5k or more. I can't see a Z51 adding much value if used only as a DD. What is y'alls opinion using a Z51 as a DD and never tracking it, waste of money?

Cmud

Bill Dearborn 07-20-2019 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cmud (Post 1599798040)
I have no need for a Z51 but I like the Mag ride on my current base vette. Sucks they are not offering it on the 1st year base models. I don't track my car so as a DD I would be pissing away 5k or more. I can't see a Z51 adding much value if used only as a DD. What is y'alls opinion using a Z51 as a DD and never tracking it, waste of money?

Cmud

It cuts down resale opportunities. Maybe not price but how quick a car moves. There will be a percentage of people who are looking for a used Corvette to put on the track. They won't even look at cars that aren't equipped properly to do that. Besides you just might enjoy having the couple extra features that you don't think you want.

Bill

thill444 07-20-2019 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599798614)
It cuts down resale opportunities. Maybe not price but how quick a car moves. There will be a percentage of people who are looking for a used Corvette to put on the track. They won't even look at cars that aren't equipped properly to do that. Besides you just might enjoy having the couple extra features that you don't think you want.

Bill

I agree with Bill. Any extra money you pay for a Z51, you will likely recoup a good chunk of it down the road or in terms of selling it faster due to desirability.

That said the stock tires will be better for daily driving and any colder weather. They may also have less road noise. I would wait for some reviews to decide. The non-Z51 car is no slouch and probably has way more performance than any legal street in America allows.

tws 07-20-2019 02:10 PM

Cmud

I would say a waste of money. As a daily I would prefer comfort over performance. financially you might pay sales tax and interest on the z51 package so it will cost more than the package itself.

Boiler_81 07-20-2019 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by thill444 (Post 1599796685)
I agree I don’t see it costing more than $5-6K more. An 2LT Z51 with MRC would likely be $15K or so over $60K base model.

I agree, $75K list price sounds about right.

quick04Z06 07-20-2019 11:05 PM

Cmud

Not a waste—mag ride gives Cadillac cush and Daytona stiff and everything in between. There is no negative like with the C5, where the Z51 suspension was teeth rattling stiff. Plus, I think Z 51 cars will have better resale, as others have said.

ptran00 07-21-2019 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn (Post 1599798614)

Bill

I doubt it. Those people who are looking for a used probably aren't going to have the money to go to the track often anyway.

quick04Z06 07-21-2019 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by ptran00 (Post 1599803092)
I doubt it. Those people who are looking for a used probably aren't going to have the money to go to the track often anyway.

I think this is a broad over-generalization. Frankly, if you can pick up an 18 month old Corvette with 3900 miles, under warranty, for 20 below sticker, it just makes sense to do so. Certainly I have seen people who buy used at the track often.