CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion-74/)
-   -   The thrill of Corvette ownership is gone (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-general-discussion/4318009-the-thrill-of-corvette-ownership-is-gone.html)

Sunnyvale Dave 09-08-2019 11:44 AM

The thrill of Corvette ownership is gone

I bought my one and only Corvette a little over 13 years ago.

I was so excited about it. I went to every car show and participated in every cruise I could find. I loved it. Starting last year, the car shows started getting old and cruises to wineries kind of got boring.

This year I really don't care much about car shows or cruises. I don't have the passion for owning and driving a Corvette that I once had.

Has anyone else lost the thrill of owning and driving a Corvette? What did you do about it?

Trebor 09-08-2019 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave (Post 1600117286)

I was so excited about it. I went to every car show and participated in every cruise I could find. I loved it. Starting last year, the car shows started getting old and cruises to wineries kind of got boring.

This year I really don't care much about car shows or cruises. I don't have the passion for owning and driving a Corvette that I once had.

Has anyone else lost the thrill of owning and driving a Corvette? What did you do about it?

You might need to upgrade to either a new exhaust or power adders or an entirely new car. But, to answer your question , yes, repetition does breed boredom. That is why some of these cars have low mileage. People park them and stop driving them.If it is within your budget, trade it for a C7. I seem to lose interest after 6 years for some reason. I am on my 4th Corvette and even got away from Corvettes and bought a 2011 SS/RS LS3 Camaro. Kept that for 6 years and traded it for my current .'06.

Good luck !

Dave S 09-08-2019 11:53 AM

Simple cure for you.....buy a C8! That will surely renew the passion. :rock:

919cw313 09-08-2019 11:53 AM

Replace it or supercharge it.

BlindSpot 09-08-2019 11:55 AM

Yes, lost the thrill too. Switched back to British roots and back to being very thrilled again.

PS: The C8 does have potential though.

QuickSilver20 09-08-2019 12:13 PM

I know how you feel. I found myself driving my Corvette less and less and just recently sold it because I just couldn’t justify keeping it with how little it was being driving and just didn’t bring me the excitement it once did. After I sold it I decided to upgrade my daily driver which was getting a little older with something newer and am enjoying it now even though it’s no corvette by any means. Just remember that they made thousands of these cars every year and there will always be more for sale. So if you do sell it you can always find another one or move up to a C7 which is what I think I’ll probable do in a year or two.

Josh M 09-08-2019 12:14 PM

I've never really been into car shows. I also have never understood how all these cars that are stock win car shows. For me the thrill comes from the friends/community. I've met some of my best lifelong friends through cars. My suggestion is maybe not replace the car, but hang out with more enthusiasts. For me that always rekindles my love for a certain car. I love talking to other people about modifying my car/their car. If that doesn't interest you at all then maybe it is time to move on. I don't know what model you have, but possibly look at a different kind of Vette. One of the hard things I've found is the bang for the buck is so good with these cars. The C6Z offers such incredible value. Most of the cars that outperform it are more than double the price.

If you really want to feel a thrill buy a MKIV Supra and put a big single turbo on it and get ready for A LOT of steering when it hits! :D

Iceaxe 09-08-2019 12:26 PM

Over the years I've had many hobbies that I was passionate about and lost interest in, nothing wrong with that. Move along and find something else you are passionate about, perhaps you will come back to cars or maybe not, but trying to fake passion in something that no longer interests you is a losing proposition. FWIW - I've been through the car hobby a couple times, first as a racer, second restoring a classic, and now just touring in my C6. I never felt bad when I left the hobby and when I returned it was always fun again. Why try to force something that really no longer interests you? Good luck.

Pb82 Ronin 09-08-2019 12:35 PM

This does happen. I find (from my friends that I have like you) that they buy different cars to fit different moods. The corvettes were no different. They would buy a C6, drive it a few weeks, and then sell it and get a Viper. They would drive the Viper a few months, then miss the corvette and go find another one. You have to find out what makes you happy and just go with it.

moose.b3 09-08-2019 12:38 PM

Take your Corvette out and do a track day. If that doesn't give you a thrill, go faster.

Dutch08 09-08-2019 12:39 PM

In my case I sold my convertible automatic Corvette and purchased a manual Corvette. My sit and be bored turned back into fun again. I get to practice my (old fashioned) skills of shifting, double clutch, rev matching. I am more engaged in driving.

saplumr 09-08-2019 12:55 PM

It happens. 15 years with mine and the car show thing played out years ago. I don't drive it much and any excitement is nowhere near what it used to be, but when you have something it gets old. I still enjoy it when I actually have time.

1bdvet 09-08-2019 12:55 PM

I can say after years of going to car shows, getting hundred of trophies with my last car, I sold my C4, and year later bought C6, and after 6 years, got older and getting tired sitting in the sun working on my already suntan.
Now the C6 is just driver, and I get thrill out each time I get behind the wheel, feeling all that horse power, compared to the wife SUV that has none.

LowRyter 09-08-2019 01:15 PM

Of course a Corvette is still just a car, time to move on to Sportbikes.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...a334827bbd.jpg

Judgebull 09-08-2019 01:28 PM

I know what you mean... I feel much the same way... not just my Corvette but also my 69 GTO... seems like age fades the thrill of it all. I bought my 69 GTO when I was 18 years old and it was a thrilling almost religious experience beyond words just drive it to the local
drive-in burger joint ...hit on all the girls ... trash talk drag racing with other muscle car dudes...and now I just start it a couple times a year just to keep the fluids juiced up... I drive my Vette mostly back and forth to Walmart...yawn...💤💤💤

RadarP3C 09-08-2019 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by 1bdvet (Post 1600117630)
I can say after years of going to car shows, getting hundred of trophies with my last car, I sold my C4, and year later bought C6, and after 6 years, got older and getting tired sitting in the sun working on my already suntan.
Now the C6 is just driver, and I get thrill out each time I get behind the wheel, feeling all that horse power, compared to the wife SUV that has none.

Same here. First few years of owning the C6 was spent upgrading, cleaning and waxing for shows. It has never been a garage queen, but, I'd stay awake at nights if I found a new paint blemish from the road. The passion for participating in car shows are gone for me. I still keep it detailed clean and waxed, but the stress is gone trying to keep it immaculate. Now I think of the car as a very cool fun car and enjoy driving it much more.

Cam323 09-08-2019 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by moose.b3 (Post 1600117544)
Take your Corvette out and do a track day. If that doesn't give you a thrill, go faster.

This^
If you are bored you are probably driving it like a mini van.

saplumr 09-08-2019 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Cam323 (Post 1600117786)
This^
If you are bored you are probably driving it like a mini van.

Get back to us in 15 years.

449er 09-08-2019 01:52 PM

To the OP....You need to buy a faster Corvette, that worked for me!

saplumr 09-08-2019 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by 449er (Post 1600117862)
To the OP....You need to buy a faster Corvette, that worked for me!

I’ve got 750 whp. Everything can get old.