CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06-136/)
-   -   550RWHP stock cam? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c6-corvette-zr1-and-z06/4414822-550rwhp-stock-cam.html)

Vette Threat 06-18-2020 12:44 AM

550RWHP stock cam?

Hi guys,

I'm thinking of selling the Grand Sport and grabbing a Z06 and was wondering what's the most power that I could potentially make with the stock camshaft? is 550RWHP doable?

Armando Estrada 06-18-2020 03:51 AM

With stock Camshaft it wont happen. Maybe 500whp with full bolt ons and a tune. Headers, MSD intake, and CAI. My friend has a fixed heads and a baby 116 AHP camshaft with full bolt ons and a tune and hes pushing 550whp. I have 624whp with Race Proven Motorsports stage 3 packet.

jayyyw 06-18-2020 05:35 AM

People have gotten close but not sure if they have touched 550, yet. I would change the cam out, imo. The stock cams aren't very reliable. Multiple reports of delamination.

DsaxC6Z 06-18-2020 07:53 AM

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...am-na-c6z.html

Obviously tons of debate on this thread. Its my car. Full bolt on and made 556/529 STD 542/514 SAE. I have absolutely no reason to lie about this lol. I would imagine If someone was going to come on here and lie about stuff they would talk about their 1600whp car running mid 7's or something. I have no idea why people think I am lying. If you know anyone local to me I would be more than happy to meet up with them, show them my car, take them for a ride, and let them tell you what they think. So long story short if you get a good set of ported and milled heads to go along with the rest of the goodies the car is capable of 550whp STD, 8 shy SAE. I don't even know why this is an argument seeing as GM just came out with a wet sump crate LS7 making 570 crank hp. 550whp is roughly 600-610ish crank hp... So are you telling me with full bolt on that new crate LS7 isnt going to make 600-610 crank? You figure my car has heads with what I would imagine to be higher quality porting and more milling for greater compression than that new crate LS7... and then you take into consideration a ported MSD, a 102mm TB, a cold air intake, and headers with catless x pipe. Like I said above, I am located in Delaware and I would be willing to ride up to an hour away to meet up with people if they wanted to check out my car. Hope this helps my man.

Sub8 06-18-2020 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by DsaxC6Z (Post 1601694918)
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...am-na-c6z.html

Obviously tons of debate on this thread. Its my car. Full bolt on and made 556/529 STD 542/514 SAE. I have absolutely no reason to lie about this lol. I would imagine If someone was going to come on here and lie about stuff they would talk about their 1600whp car running mid 7's or something. I have no idea why people think I am lying. If you know anyone local to me I would be more than happy to meet up with them, show them my car, take them for a ride, and let them tell you what they think. So long story short if you get a good set of ported and milled heads to go along with the rest of the goodies the car is capable of 550whp STD, 8 shy SAE. I don't even know why this is an argument seeing as GM just came out with a wet sump crate LS7 making 570 crank hp. 550whp is roughly 600-610ish crank hp... So are you telling me with full bolt on that new crate LS7 isnt going to make 600-610 crank? You figure my car has heads with what I would imagine to be higher quality porting and more milling for greater compression than that new crate LS7... and then you take into consideration a ported MSD, a 102mm TB, a cold air intake, and headers with catless x pipe. Like I said above, I am located in Delaware and I would be willing to ride up to an hour away to meet up with people if they wanted to check out my car. Hope this helps my man.

I don't believe people think you are lying. They are mostly pointing out that the apparent power level measured doesn't align with the hardware capability. With regards your analogy of the new crate LS7. That achieves a 65HP increase with new heads and a CAM; which does align with the hardware expectation.

niphilli2 06-18-2020 10:02 AM

I think you could get close, but it would be a very expensive way to achieve your goals

DsaxC6Z 06-18-2020 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Sub8 (Post 1601695497)
I don't believe people think you are lying. They are mostly pointing out that the apparent power level measured doesn't align with the hardware capability. With regards your analogy of the new crate LS7. That achieves a 65HP increase with new heads and a CAM; which does align with the hardware expectation.

I understand what you are saying... But for example, my buddy just had his EXACT build tuned back to back within 4 weeks or so, the only difference being his heads milled further... First his car made 633whp, he wasnt happy, he pulled the heads and sent them out to get milled further to bump compression, 4 weeks later got re-tuned and he made 650whp on a much hotter day with 43% humidity in the shop (Vid on my youtube channel That427Dude). So what I am saying, everything for him remaining the same, ONLY thing changing was milling of the heads bumping his compression and he picked up 17 whp on a hotter more humid day. So yes the new LS7 has new heads and a new cam, BUT I would be willing to bet that my heads from A.I have more aggressive porting than the new LS7 heads and are also Milled further therefore my motor having higher compression than that new crate motor also... Compression really matters... That's why you see guys making 14:1 NA on race gas pushing 800whp. Compression is a big factor. All I am saying is I am not lying lol I have no reason to lie, I did all the assembly with my buddy, did the MSD porting, I watched my car make 556/529 from 530/480 by only changing to the NW and MSD... All I can do is tell people what I did, the results, and offer to allow people to check my car out in person if they would like.

VetteVinnie 06-18-2020 10:29 AM

Naws!! :D

NemeZ 06-18-2020 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by DsaxC6Z (Post 1601695713)
I understand what you are saying... But for example, my buddy just had his EXACT build tuned back to back within 4 weeks or so, the only difference being his heads milled further... First his car made 633whp, he wasnt happy, he pulled the heads and sent them out to get milled further to bump compression, 4 weeks later got re-tuned and he made 650whp on a much hotter day with 43% humidity in the shop (Vid on my youtube channel That427Dude). So what I am saying, everything for him remaining the same, ONLY thing changing was milling of the heads bumping his compression and he picked up 17 whp on a hotter more humid day. So yes the new LS7 has new heads and a new cam, BUT I would be willing to bet that my heads from A.I have more aggressive porting than the new LS7 heads and are also Milled further therefore my motor having higher compression than that new crate motor also... Compression really matters... That's why you see guys making 14:1 NA on race gas pushing 800whp. Compression is a big factor. All I am saying is I am not lying lol I have no reason to lie, I did all the assembly with my buddy, did the MSD porting, I watched my car make 556/529 from 530/480 by only changing to the NW and MSD... All I can do is tell people what I did, the results, and offer to allow people to check my car out in person if they would like.

Why don’t you get it dyno’d on another dyno and post up the SAE numbers? If it’s close to your current numbers you’ll prove that it is indeed making that. If not then the original dyno is loose.

Vette Threat 06-18-2020 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've seen a bunch of videos from RPM (Race Proven Motorsports ) where guys are picking up 45-70RWHP just for adding ported AI (Advanced Induction ) heads!!! WTF?!?!?!? I'm thinking in that case, a set of headers and an air intake should hit 550RWHP and was curious if anyone has tried that yet?

Hib Halverson 06-18-2020 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by jayyyw (Post 1601694659)
People have gotten close but not sure if they have touched 550, yet. I would change the cam out, imo. The stock cams aren't very reliable. Multiple reports of delamination.

550 at the tire is about 625 at the flywheel. Who's gotten "close" to that with an engine having a stock LS7 camshaft? Well...other than engines with nitrous or supercharging.

jayyyw 06-18-2020 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1601699201)
550 at the tire is about 625 at the flywheel. Who's gotten "close" to that with an engine having a stock LS7 camshaft? Well...other than engines with nitrous or supercharging.

There are atleast 2-3 threads here about stock cam builds. Go look if you're curious. I'm not going to go find them for you.

GX427 06-18-2020 08:54 PM

With
ARH 2 inch header
A free flowing exhaust no cats or muffler restriction
good set of ported heads and milled
Mamo msd
nw102
a haltech or varam
and e85
i can see it getting near 550whp

RPM motorsports with these mods and they’re custom b3 cam made 650whp a few times and plenty 630+ that’s on 93 only also and assuming the cam gains 100whp

but honestly setups vary and have to work in harmony

any reason why you don’t want to do a cam? You can get a cam that passes smog and has stock drivability that’ll make 550whp with ease with even stock full exhaust on 91

GX427 06-18-2020 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Hib Halverson (Post 1601699201)

Just search up on google c6 z06 full bolt on max HP or something

Pb82 Ronin 06-18-2020 09:33 PM

I'm at almost 530rw on a stock cam. I think 550 is certainly do-able. I could probably find another 20 rwhp...or pretty damn close with an intake and more aggressive heads. I share the previous thought about the quality of the OEM cam though...it's always in the back of my mind.

TXGS507 06-18-2020 09:55 PM

Man.... those LS7 cams can chew up some lifters... Or vice versa...

Why not do both if the heads are off anyway...? I mean... come on... Your'e already in there...

Vette Threat 06-18-2020 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by CBMZR1 (Post 1601699928)
Man.... those LS7 cams can chew up some lifters... Or vice versa...

Why not do both if the heads are off anyway...? I mean... come on... Your'e already in there...

I would absolutely do a cam but the question is, how far do you grind it from stock....hence my question.

nocopnostopp 06-18-2020 11:28 PM

Definitely possible as long as you have your car dyno'd at RPM! Then sky's the limit :rofl:

jorgez28 06-19-2020 01:57 AM

It’s can be done with nitrous :). All jokes a side I think with large ported heads intake manifold, big long tubes and an aggressive tune you could probably get there.

RamAir972003 06-19-2020 02:27 AM

Theres no way

Bolt on c6 z no cam maybe 490 500 to wheels your not going to make 550 internet wins ....again.