CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 General Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion-175/)
-   -   Chevy has no plans for grand sport. E-Ray takes it spot. (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-general-discussion/4454271-chevy-has-no-plans-for-grand-sport-e-ray-takes-it-spot.html)

Verboten993 10-07-2020 11:22 PM

Chevy has no plans for grand sport. E-Ray takes it spot.

Per Robb Report, a recent report suggests that the brand may replace the sports car’s long-running Grand Sport variant with a hybrid, all-wheel-drive model called the E-Ray.

Michael A 10-07-2020 11:27 PM

I thinks it's been rumored that the Grand Sport was going to be hybrid already. Let's hope they don't use that dorky E-Ray name.

Spamburger_Hamburger 10-07-2020 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1602306734)
I thinks it's been rumored that the Grand Sport was going to be hybrid already. Let's hope they don't use that dorky E-Ray name.

I don't care if they call it My Little Pony Ray if it's an awesome car.

imxz28 10-08-2020 12:44 AM

I hate the term e-ray. It's just plain cheesy!

Grimlock13 10-08-2020 01:23 AM

Remember when everyone swore up and down there wouldn't be a C7 GrandSport back in 2014 when the C7 "stingray" was brand new....

That said, They could still do a hybrid version along with a Z06 version and normal "base" version, a combination of the base ad Z06 could still be possible. If there is a market price point between the two.

I don't see a Hybrid version being between the base C8 and Z06 C8 cost wise. A hybrid version adding a whole other drivetrain and batteries. , I think would be at a higher price point then a Z06 version with a more expensive engine, brakes, wider wheels, wider body and aero bits.

lostsoul 10-08-2020 02:39 AM

If memory serves me they have already trade marked the name. I'm all for hybrid with AWD baby! I might.. just might.... put in an order as long as its not $169K

,.. and I can find another job :rolleyes:

jcp911s 10-08-2020 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by imxz28 (Post 1602306915)

It's a Chèvrelait

jcp911s 10-08-2020 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spamburger_Hamburger (Post 1602306746)
I don't care if they call it My Little Pony Ray if it's an awesome car.

New color range POP-U-Lar Purple, and Peony Pink

NW-99SS 10-08-2020 04:32 PM

No more GS - E-Ray Hybrid instead - MT new article

https://www.motortrend.com/news/chev...-e-ray-hybrid/

No Grand Sport? Chevrolet Corvette C8 Reportedly Getting E-Ray Hybrid Instead

papillion 10-08-2020 05:55 PM

New World Order

GM development budgets will center on EV technology going forward. No reason to spend a ton of cash engineering a gasoline car that can't be sold in California. And might not be well received elsewhere. Had I the budget, I'd buy a Taycan instead of a C8. Buying tomorrow's car today.

Shinobi'sZ 10-08-2020 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by papillion (Post 1602310678)
GM development budgets will center on EV technology going forward. No reason to spend a ton of cash engineering a gasoline car that can't be sold in California. And might not be well received elsewhere. Had I the budget, I'd buy a Taycan instead of a C8. Buying tomorrow's car today.

New Tesla Plaid out late next year for sale has already beat the McClaren record at Laguna Seca...meaning that the weight isn't as much as a factor. Car generates the equivalent of 1100 hp, 500+ mile range, 9 sec 1/3 mile, and 0-60 in 2 secs. GM better do something EV or it will just not be able to keep up with a 5 passenger 4 door sedan. I'm really hoping for a hybrid C8 like Ferrari and Acura has.

ByRiver 10-08-2020 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1602311940)
New Tesla Plaid out late next year for sale has already beat the McClaren record at Laguna Seca...meaning that the weight isn't as much as a factor. Car generates the equivalent of 1100 hp, 500+ mile range, 9 sec 1/3 mile, and 0-60 in 2 secs. GM better do something EV or it will just not be able to keep up with a 5 passenger 4 door sedan. I'm really hoping for a hybrid C8 like Ferrari and Acura has.

How many laps can an EV run a Laguna Seca at race or trackday pace?

madeindetroit93 10-08-2020 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by imxz28 (Post 1602306915)

How about Moray, as in Eel, as in electric shock? Too cheesy huh?

I found it quite shocking myself.

Shinobi'sZ 10-09-2020 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by ByRiver (Post 1602312141)
How many laps can an EV run a Laguna Seca at race or trackday pace?

Did you read the range on the car? Over time the range will matter less as it is likely charging stations will be available along with gas pumps at the track or nearby stations in the future. Common sense dictates that as more high performance EV cars (such as the E Ray and Mach E) become more prevalent so will the charging stations. For my Tesla P3 when I put it in track mode it drops the range from 300 to 200, whereas the Tesla Plaid is boasting over a 500 mile range so it should easily have two 20 min sessions worth of use. Plus once there are Supercharger stations at the track it will take 20 mins to charge up 60% capacity easy. The more savvy guys or dedicated racers who trailer their vehicles will simply install a generator and have a charging station at their parking spot....no cool down lap necessary. Theoretically one could drive 5 people to the track in the same car, have everybody get out, race one lap, beat a Mclaren (assuming equal driving experience) for one 20 min session, load the passengers back up and drive away. Nice little Saturday outing.

ByRiver 10-09-2020 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1602312468)
Did you read the range on the car? Over time the range will matter less as it is likely charging stations will be available along with gas pumps at the track or nearby stations in the future. Common sense dictates that as more high performance EV cars (such as the E Ray and Mach E) become more prevalent so will the charging stations. For my Tesla P3 when I put it in track mode it drops the range from 300 to 200, whereas the Tesla Plaid is boasting over a 500 mile range so it should easily have two 20 min sessions worth of use. Plus once there are Supercharger stations at the track it will take 20 mins to charge up 60% capacity easy. The more savvy guys or dedicated racers who trailer their vehicles will simply install a generator and have a charging station at their parking spot....no cool down lap necessary. Theoretically one could drive 5 people to the track in the same car, have everybody get out, race one lap, beat a Mclaren (assuming equal driving experience) for one 20 min session, load the passengers back up and drive away. Nice little Saturday outing.

I'd like to see how long the battery lasts under a heavy load. I have a battery tool that lasts 1-1/2 hours under normal use, but push it under a heavy load, it lasts 15-20 minutes. Not interested in theoretical's. I would like to see it in a real world track session.

JerryU 10-09-2020 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Michael A (Post 1602306734)

Yep, posted this pic in November 2019 when the 1st detailed leaked info came out of what I called the Grand Sport. As Shakespeare said, "What's in a name.." But E-Ray is hokie! Best leave that for the EV C9, which the no fossil fuel crowd could make law!

Note the details in that November 2019 article were validated a few months ago. It said it was the Grand Sport.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...041f45c03b.jpg

Shinobi'sZ 10-09-2020 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by ByRiver (Post 1602312512)
I'd like to see how long the battery lasts under a heavy load. I have a battery tool that lasts 1-1/2 hours under normal use, but push it under a heavy load, it lasts 15-20 minutes. Not interested in theoretical's. I would like to see it in a real world track session.

ok lol you keep comparing your battery tools to EV technology and I will keep applying my electrical engineering profession whilst I help participate developing hybrid locomotive technology for ZEVs, and driving my EV car and gas ICE muscle cars, book mark this thread and we will come back in two years and see where we are at in he conversation.

I mentioned over a year ago in the C8 section that GM needs to explore a hybrid C8, what happened last month? GM announced the E Ray and moving engineers like myself into that EV program. I know the lead engineer that developed the Tesla Model 3 who was hired after he built a battery car in his garage in Kodiak, he like many Tesla engineers have left to other companies to develop EV cars. The writing is on the wall, the technology and proof is here and every 6 months something in the EV world is developing, denial of the facts will not change the direction things are heading because the theory is reality.

I love all of my Vettes and other performance bikes and cars that I have had. But I’m doubtful the C8Z will compete or beat the Plaid without some battery assistance. Read here.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...-hp-pre-order/

jcp911s 10-09-2020 11:02 AM

So when Jaguar develops their EV Super-car, will it be named the "Tweed"? Will it have the "Exclusive Club" option including custom leather patches and a meersham pipe?

oldlifemags 10-09-2020 11:12 AM

I hate, I hate, I hate. There are some miserable people in this world

JerryU 10-09-2020 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ (Post 1602313766)
I mentioned over a year ago in the C8 section that GM needs to explore a hybrid C8, what happened last month? GM announced the E Ray and moving engineers like myself into that EV program. ...

In February 2019 Andy Pilgrim ( former Corvette Racer) who works out of the Corvette Museum gave the first hint that the C8 would evolve into a hybrid saying a ME allows room for a FWD hybrid electric drive. Then the November 2019 article I referenced in post #16 (Thread in the C8 Tech Section) showed the pic of where I "postulated" that was the real reason their is no standard shift Vette! Also validated why the Ferrari CEO said last year 60% of Ferrari's in 2022 would be hybrids and Porsche said in 2025 50% of their sports cars will be EVs! Most of the "Standard Shift Forever Folks" did not want to hear or believe it because it gave the real reason and ended that Thread!

Then discovered a Obama era Press Release that clarified that as of January 2017 the need for the Corvette Family as well as Silverado Family (and all similar size vehicles) would have to achieve ~40 mpg by 2025. That law was put on hold with the stoke of a pen! It can go back with another!
This is my PDF on the subject: http://netwelding.com/C8_FWD_Hybrid.pdf

Note the 54.5 mpg gallon reference in the Press Release is the average of all vehicles in 2025. The Corvette Family (i.e. the average of all sold) ONLY needed ~40 mph! Most al C8's would have to be hybrids to meet that goal. Yep some will continue to "Play Ostridge" until the reality of what that 1174 page government document says "without numbers." The Federal Tax on gasoline tax will increase to drive out ICEs!

Press Release:
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...iency-standard

One pic of many in my PDF (Has nothing to do with a gas guzzler tax. "Rich" Corvette (Ferrari, Porsche etc) owners were not going to be allowed to pollute the atmosphere with CO2 by paying money!! It's a prohibitive fine for the manufacturer. It's by vehicle family, NOT average for a manufacturer! Ferrari can't just buy Tesla and have the average meet the requirement!)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cor...65dc5a5bce.jpg