CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/)
-   C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion-187/)
-   -   What if C8 Z06 is equal or LESS HP than the C7? (https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c8-z06-zr1-zora-discussion/4479380-what-if-c8-z06-is-equal-or-less-hp-than-the-c7.html)

Blvdbrawler 12-21-2020 07:19 PM

What if C8 Z06 is equal or LESS HP than the C7?

Howdy everyone and Merry Christmas!

So like many here, Im patiently waiting on the C8 Z06 to replace my C7Z. I have a deposit down at MacMulkin so Im ready to go once the time finally gets here. The question Im struggling with is will I be satisfied with a 650HP or Less C7Z successor? I get the FPC idea and I dont necessarily mind that, but Im going to need a power upgrade to go along with the extra $ this car is going to cost. I know many like the idea of a NA engine but I'd much prefer a Twin Turbo forced induction street/track monster (yes I track the car). I never considered buying an "exotic" supercar because I've always been an American muscle car fanatic and always will be but the 570S McLaren Spider is looking like a strong plan B if the Z06 disappoints from a power perspective. Naturally this is just my opinion but my question is, how many of you who actually have a deposit down (or not) will be a deal breaker for you if the Z06 reports equal of less HP? And for the record, I do know the 570S has less HP than the current Z but its a McLaren...Praying for more horsepower!

Merry Christmas!

64drvr 12-21-2020 07:25 PM

It won’t happen but the ideal C8Z06 to me would be <3200 lbs with fluids and fuel, manual trans, wide body/tires, big brakes, preferably FPC and a proper manual trans... a real GT3RS fighter. I’d be fine with less power, like 600/500 with the above setup. This goes completely against GM’s schtick, which I’d expect a 650-700hp turbo and a 3700 lb weight with fluids and fuel. It’s cheaper to increase power than reduce weight, generically speaking.

Rock0720 12-21-2020 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler (Post 1602704200)

So like many here, Im patiently waiting on the C8 Z06 to replace my C7Z. I have a deposit down at MacMulkin so Im ready to go once the time finally gets here. The question Im struggling with is will I be satisfied with a 650HP or Less C7Z successor? I get the FPC idea and I dont necessarily mind that, but Im going to need a power upgrade to go along with the extra $ this car is going to cost. I know many like the idea of a NA engine but I'd much prefer a Twin Turbo forced induction street/track monster (yes I track the car). I never considered buying an "exotic" supercar because I've always been an American muscle car fanatic and always will be but the 570S McLaren Spider is looking like a strong plan B if the Z06 disappoints from a power perspective. Naturally this is just my opinion but my question is, how many of you who actually have a deposit down (or not) will be a deal breaker for you if the Z06 reports equal of less HP? And for the record, I do know the 570S has less HP than the current Z but its a McLaren...Praying for more horsepower!

Merry Christmas!

If that's the case I'll be getting a R8 V10+ or Huracan. Not interested if it's not TT. I did consider a 570 for a while but sound and reliability is too much of an issue for me especially when you consider the cost of extending the warranty.

Wyldfyer 12-21-2020 07:36 PM

Im starting to consider the Z06. The Stingray is my first corvette so I have no prior loyalty to the brand. Even if I did, while I understand wanting to top the "figures" of the older model, the performance is what's important to me. As long as it out-performs the outgoing model Im good. The technology has changed so no need to 1-up the power if it's not needed.

Z0HS1CK 12-21-2020 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldfyer (Post 1602704292)
Im starting to consider the Z06. The Stingray is my first corvette so I have no prior loyalty to the brand. Even if I did, while I understand wanting to top the "figures" of the older model, the performance is what's important to me. As long as it out-performs the outgoing model Im good. The technology has changed so no need to 1-up the power if it's not needed.

That could be the mindset GM was hoping buyers would have. You just never know. GM does crazy things.

Again, just for reference, and i hate to keep bringing up porsche but that is usually the UPGRADE FROM a corvette so i have to mention it here.

A turbo s, with only 640hp, is faster than a C7 ZR1. A ZR1 that has 755hp.

So again, HP figures do sell but it's what the car DOES, is what really matters.

If GM announces, the all new, amazing 2022 z06 with the NA FPC, making a..........drum roll please.................................. ................620hp, people will be like AH what the hell??? I'm out.

Then a slew of new buyers, never owning a corvette, never even liking a corvette until now goes, ok i'll get one.

Then they're kicking ass on the track, running 10.4 in the 1/4 if that's their jam. Then people will understand why GM did it.

IF they go NA. Traction and overall performance is the key.

And i proved this theory when someone in the other thread actually said the C8Z will be a failure if it had 640hp, BUT IS STILL TWIN TURBO. Meaning people just wanna brag about how much hp their car has.

I'm getting one NA or TT. I prefer the NA since the last time GM did FI on a z06, aka the C7Z, it was a disaster. A waste of an amazing car thanks for GM's incompetence.

Let's see if GM does it again!!!!! lolzzzz

Big Lebowski 12-21-2020 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler (Post 1602704200)

Merry Christmas!

Given how quick the C8 Stingray is 0-60, the Z06 should scream regardless of HP. But, there’s more to performance than HP and 0 - 60 times. The C8 Z06 needs to best the C7 Z06 in overall performance, and I expect it will, and not by a small margin.

Spamburger_Hamburger 12-21-2020 09:26 PM

I don't think the measuring stick should purely be the HP number. Let's see what they come up with and how it performs before being worried about it. I can have less power than a c7z and beat the brakes off of it if done right.

Ragtop 99 12-21-2020 11:00 PM

I won't lose any sleep if the C8 z06 has 30 less HP than the C7 Z06. I'll take a usable 620 HP in a NA FPC, especially if the car is gearing is shortened 15% or more compared to a Z51 so that I can bang through a few a of them. Around town the car will be able to put the power down without needing cup tires. At the track, it will be as much as I can handle.

Kudos to those who have the skill to fully utilize 700 HP on the track or live close enough to Mexico to run the car at WOT long enough to really take advantage of the extra power.

Michael A Riley 12-21-2020 11:11 PM

I plan on keeping my C7Z, and have a deposit placed for a C8Z. It would be slightly disappointing from a numbers perspective if the C8Z has less hp, but I expect it to be a different beast altogether anyway. For me, each car has its own personality and if I want the feel of the C7Z on a given day, I’ll take that car when I leave the house.

semperfi1946 12-21-2020 11:20 PM

Most people are not even capable of getting everything out of a stingray with 495 hp on a track not alone 800 hp. That is why so many hp freaks end up wrecking thier cars- they do not have the skills necessary-just think they do - until they don't. The important question is not the amount of hp - but how reliable will it be and will it break all the time? Given all the never ending problems of the present c8- gm has a long way to go.

ZRacerLE 12-22-2020 03:34 AM

Wondering why they didn't go with less power in the stingray?

Sub Driver 12-22-2020 05:35 AM

As long as it performs better than the previous generation who cares what the power figure is?

Too-Fast 12-22-2020 06:14 AM

Depends on what you are going to use the car for. I do Standing Mile, Roll Racing and Top Speed, where HP is king. I am looking for a TT 700-750HP version with the ability to swap out the turbos for more power. My concern is the DCT, its obvious that the base unit is limited and could be the weak link in the Z06 version. If the C8 Z06 turns out to be a 600 HP NA motor then I may have to wait for the ZR1 or look to a C7 ZR1. I would love to see a Z06 that can go head to head against a McLaren 720S.

Z0HS1CK 12-22-2020 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Too-Fast (Post 1602705781)
Depends on what you are going to use the car for. I do Standing Mile, Roll Racing and Top Speed, where HP is king. I am looking for a TT 700-750HP version with the ability to swap out the turbos for more power. My concern is the DCT, its obvious that the base unit is limited and could be the weak link in the Z06 version. If the C8 Z06 turns out to be a 600 HP NA motor then I may have to wait for the ZR1 or look to a C7 ZR1. I would love to see a Z06 that can go head to head against a McLaren 720S.

Lmao that'll never happen. Porsche is always in another league and a 720s is even higher than that.

If gm wants to take aim at certain models, they have to choose which one and focus on it..if they want to go after the gt3rs, they gotta keep it na. They already have their hands full catching up to a turbo s.

A 720s is in another stratosphere.

Jc93Octane 12-22-2020 06:57 AM

IMO, a naturally aspirated engine making low 600 hp is a huge win (provided the reliability is there).

Why?

Mod potential

Forget stock performance

drfcolt 12-22-2020 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Sub Driver (Post 1602705738)
As long as it performs better than the previous generation who cares what the power figure is?

Yep, my C8 Stingray already out performs my old C7/Z06 from 0 to 100 (my perception, nothing on paper). After that, the super-charger takes over.

C8/Z06 should be something to behold.

Sub Driver 12-22-2020 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Jc93Octane (Post 1602705832)
IMO, a naturally aspirated engine making low 600 hp is a huge win (provided the reliability is there).

Why?

Mod potential

Forget stock performance

A turbo engine will have much more mod potential than a highly strung N/A motor.

Too-Fast 12-22-2020 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Z0HS1CK (Post 1602705805)
Lmao that'll never happen. Porsche is always in another league and a 720s is even higher than that.

If gm wants to take aim at certain models, they have to choose which one and focus on it..if they want to go after the gt3rs, they gotta keep it na. They already have their hands full catching up to a turbo s.

A 720s is in another stratosphere.

Like I said, depends on what you want to do with the car. In straight line racing events, the C7ZR1 has a higher top speed and more HP, however it cannot launch with the 720S and therefore always gets trounced because the ZR1 cannot catch it due to the HP/weight ration and lost launch advantage. Put 750 HP in a mid-engine C8 Z06 with the same launch capabilities as the 720s...different story, now the C8 is competitive.

ChevyChad 12-22-2020 07:55 AM

Seems like these threads all end up going the same way. I wish GM would hurry up and release the Z06 already and spill the beans about all the details!

I am on a C8Z list currently. My wish list is a TT (I don't care if its FPC or CPC) and AWD with a beefed up DCT that can handle a lot of power/ torque. I am pretty sure that I will not get my wish (at least not with a Z06 model) but I can dream...

1LEtoC8Z06 12-22-2020 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by semperfi1946 (Post 1602705307)
Most people are not even capable of getting everything out of a stingray with 495 hp on a track not alone 800 hp. That is why so many hp freaks end up wrecking thier cars- they do not have the skills necessary-just think they do - until they don't. The important question is not the amount of hp - but how reliable will it be and will it break all the time? Given all the never ending problems of the present c8- gm has a long way to go.

EXACTLY!!!!! They want a car with manual trans and 700hp and twin turbos and think they can handle it......unless you are Lewis Hamilton..that's a f@ck ton of power